quilt show in Huston, Nov 2018

Old 07-30-2018, 04:02 PM

I have been every year except one (trip to Alaska) for the last 30 years. The first year I went the GRB (short for George R. Brown Convention Center) was much smaller. The vendors and hanging quilts only used about 2/3 of the first floor (classes were on floors above as they are today). The other third was a different convention - a gun show! My husband dropped me off and when I was finished, I called him from one of the pay phones located at the rear of the hall.

Things have definitely changed! But it is still so much fun to go and see the quilts and all the vendors. I have had fabulous teachers and learned so much. My friend and I like to get there early before class starts and sit around the tables on the upper floors and visit with people from all over the world.

Across the street is Discovery Green, a beautiful park. If the weather cooperates, it is a great place to go with your lunch and take a rest from all the noise and bustle of the show.

Remember, they will not make personal announcements if you get separated from your group so always plan a meeting place and time. It is not so bad now since most everyone has cell phones. The only time they will make announcements for people is in case of a medical emergency. And yes, you do have to watch out for the people on the electric scooters - most are very nice but there are always some that are quite rude. I try to be considerate of them as I know it must be frustrating not to be able to get in and out of many of the booths and to try to move down very crowded aisles

Hope you have lots of fun!
Old 07-31-2018, 03:14 AM

My Mum and I are coming over from Australia and could not be more excited! We got the classes / lectures we wanted except Mum missed out on the Debby Brown classes. We're expecting to be happily exhausted every day.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by mtkoldra View Post
we have new friends in Huston, TX, who are inviting us and another couple to stay in their house and us girls going to the quilt show. Sounds like fun but after looking at the show's web site I am afraid to be overwhelmed with it and miss some good things. Any suggestions, from you who went in previous years, how to plan going to the show. I do not think that I want to take any classes, maybe taking some lecture at most.
thank you
The GRB is quite the walk from end to end, not counting walks from parking garages and lots. Comfortable clothes and shoes are a must.

Check your program and the posted signage on which quilts you are allowed to photograph.

Bring plenty of cash for the vendors' room. Vendors there have billing addresses all over the country or even world. Your bank's computer will decide your card's been stolen if you try to pay with card at too many of them.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:53 AM
Administrator

it's a great show!

all sorts of good things about it, but one word of caution:
watch vendor prices carefully.
some know people assume everything there is "a deal."
in a lot of cases the prices at the show booth is the same as you'd pay anywhere else.

i do not mean to imply they are trying to get away with something sneaky.
i mean only that you should choose carefully what you have to haul around the show and get back home.
even if you go by car with lots of space left after bodies and baggage, just dragging that little bit too much around the show itself can put a lot of wear and tear on your shoulders and back.

you can get awesome deals on machines, long-arm frames and things like that.
there are often really nice package deals, too.
don't be afraid to haggle. (see if they'll throw in free shipping, for example.)

as for shoes ... i take a nice pair of plush, extra-comfy slippers, too.
i switched to those when even the walking shoes weren't enough.
i got lots of funny looks but my tooties were quite happy.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:37 AM

I will also be going to this show for the first time this year. I am fortunate enough to have family in the Houston area and will be visiting at the same time. I appreciate that this question was asked and will heed the sage advice! Thank you, mtkoldra!
Old 09-27-2018, 11:02 AM

Does anyone know if strollers are allowed at the show?
Old 09-27-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by MicheleC View Post
Does anyone know if strollers are allowed at the show?
I don't know if it is allowed but I would think twice before I took a child. It is very crowded and noisy. I know I felt overwhelmed and had to take a few time outs myself. I would think a small child would be traumatized but you know your child.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I don't know if it is allowed but I would think twice before I took a child. It is very crowded and noisy. I know I felt overwhelmed and had to take a few time outs myself. I would think a small child would be traumatized but you know your child.
Thank you, toverly. I appreciate your advice.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:18 AM

A few thoughts I hope will help:
- Plan to "change things up" while you are there. Last year I decided I would see all of the quilts the last day I was there. Oh my! It was like smelling too many perfumes at one time -- it was sensory overload!!! The quilts are fabulous! This year I plan to mix it up with vendors and quilts.
- I carry a tote in a tote. When my first tote gets heavy, I check it in for $2 and pick it up at the end of the day. I then start using the second tote I bring. The check-in feature is a God send to me because I am not used to carrying anything more than my purse and the purchases can be heavy! I have used this service for years and love it. When I am with quilting buddies, we combine items to check in. Check your bags in to the check-in closest to where you will be leaving for your parked car (there are 3 or 4 locations).
- When I am with my quilting buddies, we often split up and use texting to check in with each other. I might say "where are you?" and they will reply "501" meaning they are in the vendor booth 501. We have not had any problems with this. We keep our phones where we can hear them (bra, phone carrier around neck which can multifunction as a badge holder...)
- Although you cannot eat or drink in the vendor or quilt areas, you can bring a beverage with a top and snacks in your tote.
- If you see something you really like, it's easier to go ahead and purchase it (unless it's expensive). I have found price shopping difficult and finding that item later can really eat up your time. You have spent a lot of energy and money to get to the show--is it really worth it to save a few dollars?
- If you have a smart phone, get the new app from Quilts inc. It shows the theme and time for Meet the Teachers (a great free place to learn, sit down and rest), the Open Studio (another free place to rest and learn) and the vendors. You can review it before you go and click on your favorites to help you remember what you want to do and when.
- The lectures they offer can probably be found on the app, but I'm not sure. I know it can be found at http://quilts.com/quilt-festival-hou...of-events.html listed as a lecture. The Luncheon lectures are around $40, but the others were $8 last year and I have really enjoyed most that I have gone to. They go into more depth about a subject than the schoolhouse, but make no mistake, each one will have something to sell you :-)
- Plan to walk more than you ever do! You will be tired but it's a good tired.

Have a wonderful time!