Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: 3-D Baby Quilt

I think it is a beautiful quilt.

I made quilts for a new to-be mother and a new to-be grandmother last week-end. I was so gratified they both were well received. I know I would have been crushed if at least a little fuss was not made. A few years ago I made a lovely flannel rag quilt for my BFF's son's new baby. The "baby" is 2 1/2 and I have never received any form of thank you! During an email conversation I finally asked the baby's mother if the quilt was OK - or did she even receive it. The reply was "oh I am so bad about getting out thank you's".....and did not even say thank you then!!!!! I told my BFF that if those two ever get married, you can bet I won't be giving a present! I don't know if you are friends with or related to "Baby Garland" but you might ask if the quilt is something she will use.....

Quote Originally Posted by cheaha39 View Post
    Oh my how did you control yourself? I had a young mother say "oh, it is home made so I can't take it back" I gently handed her $20.00 and took my quilt back. The mom acted pleased with the $20.00 and I was sure please to later find a good home for my quilt...
    What a lady-like way to handle the situation.

RDM
    Blog Entries
    It's a cute quilt and I'm sure baby will enjoy it. Think about the little one you made it for to help take away from the lack of appreciation by mom. I'm sure you put a lot of time and effort and joy into making this quilt.

It is cute as can be, some people just don't appreciate hand made gifts because they don't know how to do anything like that and don't know the time, value or the love that went into making a gift......
    Doreen

It is a very cute quilt.some people have never made anything buy hand, what a shame,Shame on them
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

I can understand in the high excitement of a shower that she might no give this quilt it's due publicly. But not to acknowledge the uniqueness of this darling quilt, much less the time and effort, shows some very bad manners and poor social skills.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

It's beautiful. Hopefully once she got home and actually saw it she loved it. One of my children is extremely shy and might have done something like that when put in the spot light. I hope that is all that happened. Anyways, it's a great quilt and I bet the baby will love it.

Kat

Such a darling quilt!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cheaha39 View Post
    Oh my how did you control yourself? I had a young mother say "oh, it is home made so I can't take it back" I gently handed her $20.00 and took my quilt back. The mom acted pleased with the $20.00 and I was sure please to later find a good home for my quilt...
    What you did made me laugh as much as the "extra 30 minutes of labor" comment.
    Cleodaisy

What a great quilt, I love it!
    Jeanie

Heartbreaking! Such a darling quilt.
    Linda

I hope she didnt realize what a treasure she had at first and is now amazed at your beautiful gift.

The quilt is beautiful, and you mark my words...when the child is old enough he/she will pick up that quilt and love it, sleep with it and drag it all over the house and yard. Maybe then the mother will appreciate it.
    will quilt 4EVER

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    Some people feel so rushed and nervous sitting in front of the crowd that they fly through gift opening. They are also trying to treat each gift equally. Can't really oooh and aaaah over a new carseat so if they jump up and down over the quilt, others might be offended. I try not to be offended by anything.
    See if she says something nice later on when the hormones have calmed, she can see her feet again and there aren't 75 people staring at her hoping she will hurry up and finish opening gifts faster...
    Totally agree as this is how i was at my shower. Both my mom and mil knit blankets that i showed excitement over because they were obviously handmade but it just seemed like everyone wanted it to be done already.

I agree with burchquilts - that gal's got a loose screw (not to mention no manners!). What ever happened to a spirit of gratefulness? Am I THAT outdated?

It's interesting that some people place no value on quilts but others value them so much they'll steal them. I'm not as bold as some of the other fine respondents here, but I would likely ask her after the shower (it's still not too late) if she would like to give the quilt back since she got so many other "blankets." I received many blankets for my children but it's the store-bought ones that go into storage, not the personally made ones.

Your little Thomas quilt is adorable. I'm trying to figure out what pattern to use for my nephew's quilt. My sister loves pinwheels, so maybe I'll do the 3-D kind. Are those prairie pointes sewn into the seams? How is it done, if I may ask. I've never done anything 3-D.
    "Life is mostly froth and bubble, but one thing stands as stone. Kindness in another's trouble, courage in one's own." Adam Lindsey Gordon

I don't remember if my friend made a big deal over the quilt I gave her at the baby shower, but the biggest compliment was when she brought the baby to my house, she always brought the quilt for the baby to lay on.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Even if it had been "just a blanket" and nothing special, the girl (I refuse to call someone, who acts that way, a woman) was extremely rude. Rude is rude . . . and this just burns my biscuits! (I love that phrase! LOL)
    Yup! I agree with Neesie....burns my biscuits, too!!! How rude!!

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt View Post
    Some people feel so rushed and nervous sitting in front of the crowd that they fly through gift opening. They are also trying to treat each gift equally. Can't really oooh and aaaah over a new carseat so if they jump up and down over the quilt, others might be offended. I try not to be offended by anything.
    See if she says something nice later on when the hormones have calmed, she can see her feet again and there aren't 75 people staring at her hoping she will hurry up and finish opening gifts faster...
    I'm hoping this is the reason and not just her being rude. It is a lovely quilt you have done. It does stop and make me think why I do quilts and I think we have to remember that it has given us pleasure as well along the creating path. It's a huge bonus to have it then appreciated by the receiver. My sister isn't a quilt person but I made her son a childs quilt when he was younger and he is now 14 years old. She told me the other day that he still has it on his bed. I laughed inside as my sister has a pristine house and it is all colour coordinated with black and white with touches of red. Beautiful but this quilt I did was loud with lime, blue, red etc. It must irriatate her heaps having this quilt on his bed, but he still loves it. I must update it for him. Soooo. morale is - the baby will probably love it or it may get dragged out during the Thomas Train phase. I'm sure it will be adored at some point in it's life by someone.
    Home is where the heart is, and a few scrappy quilts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    Are you actually telling me she didn't even unfold this darling little quilt? Seriously? If that's what I'm understanding, what is wrong with that person? They're going to let her raise a child? God help us!
    Could not have said it better

It's adorable!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4