Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 8:00 PM and I need boy fabric!

8:00 PM and I need boy fabric!

So where do I go? Wal-mart. Where I find expanded shelves AND a clerk on duty! She said that after Sept.1 there will be a remodel - a larger department and possibly a full-time clerk.

Yes, I prefer my LQS. But ... this is for a high school grad from our church. I make a quilt for each graduate and this one fell through the cracks. Even his own uncle - who is our youth director - forgot he was graduating. So .. I tried my stash, but nothing felt right. I'm going to make a point of picking up more guy fabs when I find sales.

Side Note: I had some great guy fq's, but when I put them together they didn't feel like this young man - they felt like our dear preacher whose 10th anniversary with us will be this fall so ... they certainly couldn't go to this grad! (Anyone know what I mean there... I even started quilting it and told my husband ... this is not Garrett's quilt. It's John's.)

So ... the far right fab is the center of a block, framed with the black. The next 3 are borders and the last one is the backing. Paid from $3.94 to $5.44/yd.

Off of here and to the cutting board!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So many quilts, so little time.

Blog Entries
    I understand - when a fabric talks to you - you have to listen and it is even worse when the whole top is telling you where it belongs LOL

The fabrics you have picked are great ! Can't wait to see the whole new top together
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

I love those fabrics together! Can't wait to see a picture of the finished quilt!

Blog Entries
    Great choice of fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    I love those fabrics together! Can't wait to see a picture of the finished quilt!
    Ditto! Those fabrics look great together & I know the finished product will be fabulous!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Those fabrics look wonderful. It is so great that you make quilts for the graduates -- what a wonderful memory you are giving them.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
    I understand - when a fabric talks to you - you have to listen and it is even worse when the whole top is telling you where it belongs LOL

The fabrics you have picked are great ! Can't wait to see the whole new top together
    I know exactly what you mean about your fabric talking to you. Eons ago when I taught my BFF to quilt, she wanted to know how she was going to figure out what fabric to buy for her first quilt. I told her not to worry -- they'd pick her, not the other way around. She thought I'd lost my mind (which may be true, but... LOL!) but after our trip to our LQS, she knew exactly what I was talking about. She thought she wanted blue floral but she ended up being lured in by some fabulous burgundy paisley... it said "I want to go home with you & make a fabulous quilt together"... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Pretty fabs! I made my mom some curtains with that fabric on the far right!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Blog Entries
    Lovely assortment of fabrics. I have the same southwestern print on the right for years and still haven't decided what to do with it. Someday it will talk to me as yours has. I look forward to seeing the quilt when it is done.
    Helen T.

Here's a little tease for you ...
    I'm not liking the light blue border, but without it everything is quite dark. When I get the top finished we'll see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WOW you're fast! I love what you're doing. Loved the fabrics you picked!
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Love it if you wanted to lighten it you could add a few turquoise blocks randomly throughout it. Fabulous!
    *Rachel*

Know the prob finding boy fab. I sew Quilts of KIds and have trouble find young man prints...seems all I find are floral. Love you fabs!
    If you don't work on it you'll never finish it.

Blog Entries
    Love your choice of fabric. Will look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Thanks so much for posting an "in progress" - although I loved your fabrics when you first posted, I had no idea what I would have done with them. Your choice is so much better than anything I would have imagined. Keep posting!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b View Post

So I go into quilt shops and it sounds like I'm hearing a whole Brooklyn Tablernacle CHOIR!!! lol Now I know why. lol
    Ruth

Quote Originally Posted by JanTx View Post
    So where do I go? Wal-mart. Where I find expanded shelves AND a clerk on duty! She said that after Sept.1 there will be a remodel - a larger department and possibly a full-time clerk.

Yes, I prefer my LQS. But ... this is for a high school grad from our church. I make a quilt for each graduate and this one fell through the cracks. Even his own uncle - who is our youth director - forgot he was graduating. So .. I tried my stash, but nothing felt right. I'm going to make a point of picking up more guy fabs when I find sales.

Side Note: I had some great guy fq's, but when I put them together they didn't feel like this young man - they felt like our dear preacher whose 10th anniversary with us will be this fall so ... they certainly couldn't go to this grad! (Anyone know what I mean there... I even started quilting it and told my husband ... this is not Garrett's quilt. It's John's.)

So ... the far right fab is the center of a block, framed with the black. The next 3 are borders and the last one is the backing. Paid from $3.94 to $5.44/yd.

Off of here and to the cutting board!
    These will look great together. I love the southwest look fabric.
    Carla Stewart
    Frankfort, Kentucky

Like the darker border.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
    Love it if you wanted to lighten it you could add a few turquoise blocks randomly throughout it. Fabulous!
    Rachel - I love that idea, but this is a zippedy-doo-dah quilt -- gotta get it done FAST -- and I bought just enough for each piece. I used Robert kaufmann's Quilt Calculator - an app on my phone - to figure the borders and it was a TIGHT fit! Trimmed them even to start the cuts and then had a sliver left over.

Great job, gorgeous quilt. Love the colors. Turquoise is my favorite stone as well as my favorite fabric.

It will be great!
    Jojos Nana, Carol

First off, I like your fabric choices, but I do agree that the light blue dulls the quilt. I'd shelve the light blue for another project. Other than that, I like the block you've designed and am confident the young man will also love it. Please show us your finished project. Thanks for sharing.
    The bad news is - time flies.
    The good news is - you're the pilot!

Blog Entries
    I'm just sitting here looking at the beautiful colors and thinking the same thing. Oh, I wish she would take out the very light turquois and then look at it again. I think it would be gorgeous without the light one. The darker is perfect for it. JMHO

Great fabrics! Can't wait to see what pattern you use. Is it done yet? lol (j/k)
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Nice fabrics!!!! Great Job!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast