Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Advice on fabric 4 these vintage sunbonnet sues?

There are some reproduction jelly rolls on ebay. You might look there and see if they would work.

mltquilt

There is one on ebay I'm watching now....and found some others. Wouldn't it be great with a scrappy chain?

Have you considered using that sea foam green that was so popular during this time period? I don't think I'd like black with those beauties. It's too heavy/dark a color. Keep it light. (Just my preference!)

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne
    Have you considered using that sea foam green that was so popular during this time period? I don't think I'd like black with those beauties. It's too heavy/dark a color. Keep it light. (Just my preference!)
    You mean the color that's in this.....

or this...
    Name:  Attachment-189458.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  56.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Foxflower
    That's real close. My quilt store has all sorts of reproduction solids and there are a couple of different greens that always look great. Here's what I was thinking of. I used it in the little flange and for the binding on this 9 patch quilt. You can see how it just goes with everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Give each of the Sue blocks a border by adding 4 triangles, creating Squares on Point. Then each of your squares is much bigger. Use various colors, either solid pastels, or pastel tone-on-tone to play up the wonderful antique colors without dominating any of them. For example frame a Blue dressed Sue in a paler blue frame. Then lay them out and arrange them to your liking. Make a Triple Irish Chain putting the Vintage fabrics between two harmonious colors, like pink and lilac, or light green and light teal. See how it works, a dark and light grey might be just wonderful.

I finished up a sbs quilt that was started for my mother in 1932, the prints and colors were very much like those in yours blocks. I used a medium solid purple and muslin for sashing with a prairie point finish instead of traditional binding.

How about using fabric including several colors that go with
    the girls' solid color hats?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mltquilt
    You might check online for 30s reproductions and find something similar to one of the fabrics you already have.

mltquilt
    I have checked....but just couldn't decide what to do because of all the colors in the sues. I love some of the fabric I found, but it was also $9.50/yd! --- Do any of you know of a great reproduction print jelly roll? That would be perfect.
    I have several colors of repro 30s solids. Will sell for $4.50 per yard plus postage.. PM if you are interested.

30s solids ranged from pastel blue, yellow, green, lavender, pink to a bright red and a bright blue. If you wanted to stay in line with the traditional fabrics, I wouldnt use black.

Oh my, those are fantastic blocks! I'm no help with borders/sashing but whatever you choose will be great!
    Maureen

Blog Entries
    Here is a link that might be useful!

http://www.google.com/search?q=sunbo...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yyK3TbC9CcWBtge66aiXAQ&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=651

Those have got to be the most adorable SBS that I've ever seen. Oh the detail in the embroidery that she has done.

Any idea as to how old they actually are?

Have fun with your planning and I'll look forward to seeing the results!

You have lots of great suggestions already...just wanted to chime in and say your Sue blocks are exquisite, love the posies and animal friends...this is going to look stunning when made up. Please do keep us posted.

QM
    I would audition fabrics to see what I liked for this job. you mentioned a triple Irish chain. I would be inclined to make the chains scrappy or partly scrappy with the center line consistent. IMHO, this would be most in keeping with the original blocks.

I also inherited my Grandmother's Sunbonnet Sue girls. I bought white/off white to applique the girls onto, but also need help with colors of sashing, borders etc. My Sue's look alot like yours, minus the little animals. Good luck and please please keep us up to date on what you decide.

Blog Entries
    With all the color choices you have, almost anything will work. I'm sure you will choose the right ones. I love the blocks. I am envious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose L
    Here is a link that might be useful!

http://www.google.com/search?q=sunbo...ls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=yyK3TbC9CcWBtge66aiXAQ&ved=0CFYQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=651
    Great web site....now what will you do? I like your black or orange ideas. Also like the pastels. Keep us up on this one :-D

what a treasure you have

The top green got my eye, it is typical of the time when these Sunbonnets were made, it was also called Depression Green and was used extensively. My quilt from a grandmother, made in 1932, was this shade of green. Look in the 30's display of fabric, two shades of green or the blue would make a very nice Irish chain, or green and white.

Carol J.

They are adorable!! A sash of different fabrics from your stash might work, just an idea...

:thumbup: :thumbup:

I go with the blue and yellow. Yellow is a common color to most of the colors you have going on in there so would tie everything together well. Ann in TN

Blog Entries
    I love your SBS blocks. I know anything you do would make your grandmother very proud. I keep wondering if anyone will have my UFOs finished when I am gone.

I am a newbie, so take it with a grain of salt. I would pick one of the bright colors from the quilt and try to match it. I would use that for sashing and a narrow border. Then I would put on another wider border from another color in the blocks - a color that looks good with the bright one.

Foxflower,
    Take your squares and mix them up and do an Irish chain. Use the Sue blocks for the opposite block. The pattern would fix the era of the blocks and fabric. Cute blocks.
    Brenda

P.S. I have never seen Sun Bonnet Sue with Irish Chain. Either way, please post the finished quilt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast