Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Advice on fabric 4 these vintage sunbonnet sues?

These are so wonderful. I have some myself, not sure what to do with them. But I love the old fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I love your sunbonnet sues. I did one simular to yours and I put a border around each block with a color from the dress. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    I bought 30 blocks almost identical to these at an estate sale. Sashed each block with 4 different repro prints, using at least one per block with its' predominant color. Has been on DGD's bed for 4 or 5 years and washed/dried many times and is holding up beautifully even thought the muslin did not look like very good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxflower
    Okay, one more pic of 12, removing the one that blends the least (will make a pillow with it.) Would it be crazy to use white as one of the chain colors? I thought I wanted to use reproduction prints, along with the vintage ones, but can't figure out what color or color mix....maybe orange?

Quote Originally Posted by jme
    I had this same problem (vintage sue and all) a few months ago. I ended up choosing a purple with yellow flowers that had a vintage feel to it. I do a lot of scrap quilting and finding one color to tie it all together can be a chore. I think you might look at a light blue or yellow. Can't wait to see the finished project! Good luck! :)
    My first thought was yellow also. Please post finished quilt :)

No advice but I love the sunbonnet sue's

The SBS are gorgeous and your embroidery definitely takes them over the top. Grandma is smiling down at the wonderful job you are doing!

Hello everybody. So many great ideas! I looked at those images too and saw one I really liked. I believe I'm going to stick with the Triple Irish chain pattern and use some of the vintage fabric squares I have. That will keep old fabric with old and use them well--there are a lot of different colors amongst them, like the SBS blocks. I really like a scrappy irish chain, and the minimizes the amount of fabric I have to buy too. I want to stay in period as much as possible, so am planning on buying a reproduction jelly roll or two.

I don't know how old exactly those blocks are. My DH's grandmother would have been around 100 if she were alive today. She was a saver, so who knows? She did all those sues and about half the embroidery. It was the embroidery that was unfinished, as well as the hands on one sue. I've had the blocks myself for about 10 years and am trying to finish/clean up all these unfinished bits. I am glad to have this piece of history for my children...we live in the valley a couple miles from where their great-grandmother was born and raised. We live in her house and pick fruit from the trees she planted from seed. I like to renew classy old things like these blocks and make them usable for generations. I'll try to post pictures as I make progress!

Once I get this figured out I just know I'll need help with the borders....

The first color that jumps out at me is blue, the second yellow. Someone has suggested black and grey. You might consider a very dark blue and yellow was used a lot in 30's quilts so it might be a natural choice for a second color. Whatever you do with these is bound to be special. Can't wait to see the result.

Blog Entries
    Those blocks are adorable!

Thank you. I showed them to a quilting friend today. She thinks a number of women made them because of how differently the sues are made. Maybe grandma participated in a swap or block lottery...now I'm going to have to show them to grandma's county-fair "competition" and see if she remembers anything about these sues.

These are really a prize. It is going to be a treasure when you get done. How very nice.

Blog Entries
    These are darling blocks. I love the old fashioned look along with the embroidery. This is indeed a treasure and I am sure you will make it beautiful. Show us the finished project, please.

Blog Entries
    I would choose peach, greenish blue, or lavender if it were me. But I don't think you could go wrong with any colors.

Aren't they sweet? Lucky you.

Well, I've started adding the corner blocks to the sues. I don't have enough of the right colors to finish them all yet. I'm going to try to surround each one with one coordinating color/color scheme. Then I'll be ready to do the alternating blocks once I get the repro fabric. I think it's going to go together pretty quickly. I'm half done with the focus blocks....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Even prettier that before. Love your fabric choices.

Thank You! I'm really liking them so far. I'm really glad I didn't hide these little vintage squares in my postages stamp quilt (see avatar).

Senior Member The Quiet Quilter's Avatar
    I can't help with the colors
    but I love the sunbonnet Sues'.
    Hugs, Sharon

You are doing beautifully...those Sues are really coming alive with what you have added. This quilt is going to be gorgeous.

Thanks. 2 more have the corners, but now I have to wait until I order more fabric!

Blog Entries
    Elisa, this is Shirley, your swap partner in Tn. Go to www.fabric.com I get so much from them @3.95 yd. all the time. They always have sale fabrics and free shipping with $50.00 orders. If you go there and what you see & like but not affordable then keep checking that web site every day because the fabric prices keep going down. Thats what I do all the time. They have very sweet 30's looking fabrics When you see what you want place it in the basket so you don't loose it, then keep checking the basket even 3-4 days later to see if the fabric has changed, then go back & do an update on what you want for a better price. Works everytime for me. They offer 1/2 yds. & jelly roll strips sometimes too and all the most high end fabric designers that sell everywhere else for 9.95 & up per yd. I got some adorable teddy bear flannel (double soft both sides) fabric for 5.94 yd. that would be 10.00 at high end fabric shops.
    On point would be a better way for the SBS blocks since some are a little skimpy. P. points would look so cute.
    Good luck,
    Shirley

Quote Originally Posted by jigs1354
    Elisa, this is Shirley, your swap partner in Tn. Go to www.fabric.com I get so much from them @3.95 yd. all the time. They always have sale fabrics and free shipping with $50.00 orders. If you go there and what you see & like but not affordable then keep checking that web site every day because the fabric prices keep going down. Thats what I do all the time. They have very sweet 30's looking fabrics When you see what you want place it in the basket so you don't loose it, then keep checking the basket even 3-4 days later to see if the fabric has changed, then go back & do an update on what you want for a better price. Works everytime for me. They offer 1/2 yds. & jelly roll strips sometimes too and all the most high end fabric designers that sell everywhere else for 9.95 & up per yd. I got some adorable teddy bear flannel (double soft both sides) fabric for 5.94 yd. that would be 10.00 at high end fabric shops.
    On point would be a better way for the SBS blocks since some are a little skimpy. P. points would look so cute.
    Good luck,
    Shirley
    Hi, thinks for the link/tip! Here's what I got from ebay. Maybe you want something in repros instead of what I was planning? There sure are some beauties here. I think I'm in love with 30s prints.

Jelly rolls and turnovers
    Name:  Attachment-199261.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  57.2 KB

Fat quarters
    Name:  Attachment-199262.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  70.3 KB

Rainbow of Vintage solids
    Name:  Attachment-199263.jpe
Views: 9
Size:  36.5 KB

And a few that were hiding in my stash....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Elisa, just got to your pics. of the repros. and love the orange especially pretty with a lav. or purple do what ever you like, I will love the colors you make for the block for me... I am in love with the 30's also.I will make some in 30's because I have some of those too.
    Well have to press & cut yours now.
    Bye, Shirley

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3