Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: awful... first quilt i ever "finished"

Did you enjoy making it? If so , it is a masterpiece!

Blog Entries
    Trying a lonestar for my first quilt probably would have not have addicted me! It's probably not too late to quilt it so maybe it will wear better!

Thanks for the warning--now I KNOW not to try the Lone Star Quilt till I've got a lot more experience. I'm amazed at your effort! Congratulations on the new baby!

Your first was certainly an ambitious pattern! Thanks for sharing it. Most importantly it did exactly what it was born to do...wrapped your baby in love. Happy quilting.

Well atleast your star looks like a star :)

Blog Entries
    awww, that is a sweet first quilt. It looks like you did a lot of hand work too. I am thinking that took you quite awhile to complete too. :)

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
    Congratulations on your next big event! It's good to keep those first efforts around, just to keep us humble.

But the most important line in your message was: My daughter loved it. Yep, she did, she didn't see the mistakes you see now, she just felt the love in it.
    Yep! that is the part to remember. She loved it and always will because he mom loved her enough to step outside her comfort zone and make something just for her.

Wow....what a starting point...I've been quilting for a couple years and still have not attempted such a piece...kudos for your perseverance AND continuing!!! Congratulations on the news and I wish you continued happy quilting!!!

Too funny - after tackling this as a first project, it's a wonder you ever tried quilting again! I recently taught a friend paper piecing. I thought she was having fun, but at the end of she told me not to approach any beginner's with it--they would never sew again!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    That's such a darling quilt and story!!
    Thanks for sharing :D:D

that is how we all learn

I just told my husband --after ripping out the same thing three times for the same mistake--when I hadn't learned so much about quilting, I made a lot more quilts. got 'em done too and never ripped anything out.

What a great story. It is one your daughter will love to hear as she gets older. I have 3 children 32,31 and 24. When they are all home at the same time they race to the couch in the family room and argue over who gets to use the first quilt I ever made 20 years ago. I too was trying to teach myself, and today it is worn and torn but I refuse to try to fix it up. It is a story of 20 years of love shared by three kids and I wouldn't want to change any of it. Enjoy your young children because soon they too will be 32, 31 and 24 and telling all of moms secrets of quilting.

AWW... thank you all. I had no idea what I was getting myself into but I completed it and I love to quilt still. Heck, I was proud of it, I didn't realize how awful it was until just now. LOL. And when Shay saw it she ran to me screaming my blankie. LOL. She remembered it. She wrapped herself up in it. It warms my heart, she thinks it is wonderful and I can laugh at my fumbles. LOL. I thought you all would enjoy it and I am glad to hear I am not the only one with a rough starting point! Thanks for all the congratulations on the new baby. I am very happy about my new addition! :-D

God bless you Leah! This was my favorite quilt pattern when I was a child. My grandma told me how to make the template for the diamond, and warned me not make this pattern as my first quilt. The bias is a challenge to work with. I still have not tried it 40 years later. Although, I think I know how to work with bias today. Thanks for sharing... I love this pic. Keep it forever. Try the Irish Chain pattern next. The strip piecing method is fast and easy. http://www.simplicity.com/t-free-qui...ain-Quilt.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by sewdarnbusy
    God bless you Leah! This was my favorite quilt pattern when I was a child. My grandma told me how to make the template for the diamond, and warned me not make this pattern as my first quilt. The bias is a challenge to work with. I still have not tried it 40 years later. Although, I think I know how to work with bias today. Thanks for sharing... I love this pic. Keep it forever. Try the Irish Chain pattern next. The strip piecing method is fast and easy. http://www.simplicity.com/t-free-qui...ain-Quilt.aspx
    Oh, thank you! I got some material for an Irish chain, Thomas Kincaid and a royal blue. I will try this as soon as I get done with my nieces graduation quilt! :-)

The very fact that you started out with diamonds just blows my mind. No wonder you had problems, but see, she didn't know and she loved it, so that is what quilts are all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Stewart
    Okay so six years ago I was determinated to make a quilt and I knew no one who knew how to quilt so I set out to teach myself and slowly over the years I have improved, thank God. So, today I just found out I am pregnant with my second child, so I went looking through my daughters old baby stuff! Omg, I found this quilt, she LOVED IT, so I guess that is all that really matters. Looking at it the points do not match, clearly, LOL, it came apart a lot, so I hand stitched, I never quilter it, I had no idea how to so I tacked it with thread. All I can do is laugh, my new baby will have a little different. And I have now made some really nice quilts for my daughter, I just cannot believe how bad this one is. Lmbo. Hope you all get a kick out of it!!!
    Thank you for sharing this!!! Most of the time we see only the beautiful finished quilts of the accomplished quilter. This will certainly give "newbies" hope and comfort!! I love it!! Thanks you so much....

why worry, your child loved it and that's what matters. Remember practice makes perfect.........you should see some of my first quilts.

You picked a hard pattern for you 'first' but be proud.. Congrats on your new one!

You made it with love, she felt the love and that's all that matters. (Plus, that's a hard pattern for a first quilt!!)

Blog Entries
    It is still a treasure

We all have to start somewhere and many of took a class and had someone to help us all the way along. You were a brave soul and did it on your own and the very most important thing is that your daughter loved it. That is all that matters. Congratulations on the news of another baby.

Blog Entries
    A very challenging quilt for a first choice. Your colors are lovely and your DD loved it, that's what really matters :-)

the good thing is to know you have improved over the years. I'm sure your most recent projects are MUCH BETTER. We all have to start somewhere.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast