Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bag set

Bag set

Hi Quilters I made this Mondo Bag and 2 smaller bags to go with it. I want to donate it for a fundraiser, silent auction but she wants a base price for starting bid. What do you suggest?Name:  IMG_9816 qb web.jpg crop.jpg
Views: 1837
Size:  1.04 MBName:  IMG_9765 qb web.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  1.20 MBName:  IMG_9766 qb web.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  1.44 MB

Love the colors you used, awesome!

Power Poster
    nice set and at least a $50 value!

Beautiful bag set and great work.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Beautiful set, $75 for the entire set. That's a lot of work.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty

Blog Entries
    nicely done
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Are you trying to start low so people will bid?
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

I'm not sure how it will be done. I'm not sure if she meant she'd like to know what it actually cost for supplies or maybe that and some labor....
    Quote Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
    Are you trying to start low so people will bid?

A base price is the least you it can sell. A minimum of $35 would be my suggestion.

At my guild's auction there is a base price, which is the least amount for which the item will be sold. There is also a starting bid, which is set by the auctioneer and is lower than the base price. The people who bid are not aware of the base price unless the bidding never gets that high, and then they are told that no one has reached that amount, and so the item does not go to the highest bidder unless he/she wants to meet that base price. Other organizations may do it differently. Part of the reason we have a base price is that the person donating the quilt has the option to keep up to 50% of the price received. Many people do, and use that money to make more quilts for the next auction.

I concur that the items should bring in at least $50, probably more, but auctions are tricky. If the attendees are truly there to support the cause, they will tend to bid higher than if they're looking for bargains. Also quilted items tend to go for less when all the bidders are other quilters. We appreciate quilted items, but we don't tend to buy what we can make ourselves.

If I had this bag in our auction , the bag would sell for from 75 to 90 dollars. It is after all a one of a kind and very well made. The auction is seven years old and the gals fight over who will get one.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

I am afraid I don't understand 'The auction is seven years old' is this something you do on a regular basis? I would be happy with either of those prices, for a final bid or outright buy. It's going for a good cause, so I'd hope it would raise a good amount for them.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 View Post
    If I had this bag in our auction , the bag would sell for from 75 to 90 dollars. It is after all a one of a kind and very well made. The auction is seven years old and the gals fight over who will get one.

My Hubby started a auction and golf tournament for the diabetic kids in our area and part of California eleven years ago. I guess I lost track of time and thought it was only seven. Geez, what a blonde. But, to answer your question, yes. It is on a regular basis.

It has grown in size and participants. Many of the same people come and enjoy the whole experience. The kids go to Camp Buck to learn to manage their diabetes, and some families need help with drug support. All the money goes to help the kids.

I also donate items to the animal shelter for their auction once a year, and the local hospital.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 03-31-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

By the way, I forgot to say I love your bag. It has the color of the year (coral) in the design. That counts for something to a fashionista. But, no matter what, that bag would be a wonderful summer accessory.
    RedGarnet222

*Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    lovely bag set. I would pay $75-$95 for it. More if at a cause-worthy auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltah Mama View Post
    Beautiful set, $75 for the entire set. That's a lot of work.
    I agree. You did a fantastic job!

I don’t have any suggestions for pricing but I wanted to tell you great job on the bags. 👍

I'd bid on that!

I really like your bag combination. I would like to think that they would be purchased as a group. A base price reflects the amount you are willing to let them go for-otherwise they are still yours. I think that is a great idea. I participate in a craft show to raise funds for an organization I support. I do not want my items to be sold for less than it costs me to make them. I am really happy to see them go higher. An auction is different because of the competition instead of a set price. I hope your group has a great auction.

Beautiful bag! I've been to a lot of silent auctions. I would set the value at $75.00. Set the lowest bid at $25.00 and bidding at $10 increments. The three items together are perfect.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have no idea of a price, just wanted to say that I think you did a super job. They are awesome. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

A base price just gives the auctioneer a place to start because they can't know the value of every item.
    I'd start this at $35.00 for the set and watch it climb!

Watson

Ditto that starting price of $50 minimum. Love it!
    Life is Good!