Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
A boo boo--I know better >

A boo boo--I know better

A boo boo--I know better

Old 06-27-2010, 07:36 PM

The colours are very rich looking. Sew what if there is a small mistake, I did the same thing on my second quilt so I know how it feels. We love your quilt anyway. Thanks for sharing and teaching us.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by franie
OH NO! Sorry to hear this. I have done some on my Lizzie that have given me fits too so it is an experiece for sure. Now I am putting the borders on again and I measured 3 times through the middle and all three were the same. But the edges of the pieced border have bias and I am in agony. One on and tackling another. I had to take a break.

Originally Posted by misoop
Oh, I feel your pain! I just quilted a top that I bought at a silent auction, and I really thought the quilter was probably a very good quilter! WRONG!! Don't ever assume that! After I got started, I thought, "I know now why I will ALWAYS measure the correct way.....no matter what!!! Such a mess I ended up with on the borders.....still don't know what I'll do about it. (Scratching my head) May just make the best I can out of it with the binding, etc. and just chalk it up to EXPERIENCE!!! I might give it to someone in need someday...someone who has had a housefire, and won't care about the quilt police. The bad part is that I had "hand-quilted" most of it, and just wanted to use my new HQ16 to quilt the borders, etc. SIGH!
Don't know where you are in the process, but ...
If you put the biggest piece (bias) on the bottom, and hold the border taut, the stretched out bias will start easing itself back into shape.
Did you know that if you hold tight on your border strip, you can absolutely stop the fabric from progressing through your machine? But, the feed dogs will continue to move the bottom layer along.
You all probably knew that already <g> since that is how those straight lines get stretched (someone with control issues needs to learn to relax! ;-) )
Anyway, I am way behind in my reading, and just now caught up with this thread ... I may just be spinning wheels here, but practice this:
"I am a human being. I have superiority over all inanimate objects. They do have to do what I direct them to do" ...
(sometimes, it works really good! LOL)
Anyway, the ruffles you will have on your border with the squares on point because the bias got stretched? That is just added texture! Now, you won't have to add any yo-yos and such for embellishment.
Aren't you the CLEVER ONE, though? LOL <wave>