BUCKET HATS >

BUCKET HATS

BUCKET HATS

Old 08-20-2011, 04:46 AM

Those are simply darling!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:48 AM

great idea! thanks for sharing!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:15 AM

With your creativity, I'm sure you'll come with a hundred different ways to make them better or more decorative. As the kids say: "you go girl"
Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Great hats. I think you lit a fire. LOL
Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Help, I think I am having a senior moment, I really cannot understand this part of the pattern

1.With RIGHT sides together, pin the center back seam of the crown, matching notches. Stitch in a 1/2" seam and press open. Machine stitch 1/2" from single-notched edge of crown. Clip to machine stitching.
I have been at it for about 2 hours and really cannot figure it out, tell me it's me being stupid!
Now I am really get in a muddle as right thro' the pattern it says "right sides together" and I can't figure out how to turn the hat right side out, is there an easier way :oops:
OK. Here's how I do it (ignore the directions). I make one complete hat. Sew the side piece(s) together making a ring. Sew the brim pieces(s) together making another ring. Now sew the side ring to the top circle. When that's done, sew the brim to the side piece. 1 hat is now made. Do the other exactly the same. Take the 2 hats, right sides together (set 1 inside the other) and sew all around the bottom of the brim EXCEPT for a few inches. Turn right sides out, press the bottom of the brim and stitch the opening closed. I stitch all around the very bottom edge and then make another row (or 2) of stitches about an inch apart.

I'm going to make another hat later today and I'll try to take pictures of each step.
How is the best way to measure your head to select the size to know the hat will fit properly? These are sooo cute!
Old 08-21-2011, 12:08 PM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

So cute, and fabulous hats for gardening! Can you make me one that's dirt colored?? Better yet, with air conditioning. And mosquito repellant, Can you tell what I've been doing? :lol: Seriously, your swim pals will love them. What a great gift.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Here you go, my 2nd one for my Sis this one was made with a 20p charity shop buy of pillowcases, perfect for them:

[IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dhatforLiz.jpg[/IMG]

I used the pattern on the pillowcases to make a flowery top :-D [IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...tforLiztop.jpg[/IMG]

I also used a lovely bright deep pink for the under brim so it would reflect some colour on her face, I thought it would be a good idea as she is so pale and I think it will help her family more than her: [IMG]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...forLizbrim.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry to be so long about it but I thought for those who want to make them for loved ones similar to my Sis they would like the tips, hopefully.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:35 PM

Thank you so much. There is a big demand for theses hats.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:54 PM

Cuter and cuter! Love the bright pink.

I can't believe so much interest in such a silly hat.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
Cuter and cuter! Love the bright pink.

I can't believe so much interest in such a silly hat.
It is not a silly hat, my Sis loves them she said they are the one thing that she has found that stays on her head and is just so comfy.

If I haven't said it before, thank you so much for sharing this and I am doing the same with a few of my quilting friends, especially one group that does things for the local hospitals. :thumbup: