Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you keep a secret?......

Oh, I am so happy, happy, for you. I can hear the excitement in your voice. Yea for new mom & grandma doing the happy dance :-)

Growing up I had a Mamaw-I love this woman to pieces! She's 85 now and still going. My kids call her Mamaw Katie. :) Then I had a Granny....then everyone called her mother Granny so my brother and I had an Old Granny and a New Granny (love them both!) Old Granny (my great grandmother) died back in 89-I still have the quilt that she made for me. I don't even remember her ever giving it to me but it is priceless! I LOVE IT! :) Even at 35 years old I just coving up with it. :)

A lot of times the name that the grandparent is called is sort of what the child starts calling you. Like my mother-in-law is MeeMaw to our kids just because that is what the first grandchild called her. It was MeeMaw and PeePaw.

By the way Congratulations!!!!!

I saw a book a while back, long after our grandchildren were born, the title struck me as being so beautiful. It was called "I loved you before you were born" You could write that and date it now, then add your grandchilds name and date of birth later.
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
    I just found out a week ago yesterday that my daughter is expecting her first baby (our first grandchild!!). I have made a Beatrix Potter quilt to give her on Mothers' Day, along with a story book that contains all of Beatrix Potter's stories. I'm going to call the quilt "Sleepytime Story Quilt", but I 'm not sure if I should make the label, and write in the book, not knowing the baby's sex or name, or wait until he/she is born.

What do you think?..... The baby's not due until Nov. 2st.

I am so happy for you. The quilt is so cute! How about addressing the quilt and book "To you - Love, Grandma May 2011"? I always liked to have a name and date in my sons' books so he will always know who gave it to him and when.

Blog Entries
    Beautiful! Thanks so much!

That is the SWEETEST baby quilt ever!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizzy-Girl
    Oh, I am so happy, happy, for you. I can hear the excitement in your voice. Yea for new mom & grandma doing the happy dance :-)
    Happy, happy, happy, happy happy!!!! :lol:

What a darling quilt!! Well, I AM a grandma (and love every minute of it!) and what I've done is given the quilt and added the label later. With the first grandchild, I planned to make a pink quilt and a blue quilt so I was ready for either (as they were not planning to find out the sex ahead of time). I got the blue one done and then my daughter said she'd really prefer a yellow-green one. Another daughter also wanted a yellow-green one the first time around and then asked if I'd make both so the second child would have a pink or blue one. Anyway, I brought the blue one to the hospital and added the label a couple of weeks later.

You could do the same with the book. Some parents "read" to the baby even before it's born.

Senior Member quilter in the making's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations!! I had to do the same thing. My daughter is due in August and my daughter-in-law is due in September. These are the first grandchildren. It's so exciting, isn't it? I am making both babies pinwheel quilts and thought I might go ahead and embroider the labels and use a permanent marker to fill in the information later.

Blog Entries
    Can you give it to her as it is and then after the baby is born, get it back for a moment to give it the signature with the baby's name/

So cute! I'd wait until I had the "vitals" and surprise her with the quilt. It really is precious. Congratulations to your family.

That's Wonderful news and what a cute baby quilt

Power Poster
    To My First Grandchild
    With lots & lots of love,
    Grandma

Congratulations! Grandkids are the BEST

Your quilt is precious!

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
    (((hugs))) What I think is you are very excited???" and I am excited for you and your family :) congrats to all
    I agree! How sweet is that quilt?

Beautiful quilt.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! Beautiful quilt.
    Go ahead and put label to "first grandchild" He/she will know how much he/she was loved from the moment you learned of his/her existance!

Blog Entries
    Your quilt is adorable!

Blog Entries
    Becoming a grandma for the first time was right up there with having my first baby as far as 'The wonderful events in my Life' goes. Congradulations Gramma.. Joys like no other are coming your way.. It will be your best year ever!

oh.. the label.. I vote for putting one on now, and then adding a second one once that pretty new little sweetie gets here!

I am of the opinion that you should always put on a label before your quilt ever leaves your house... you just never know what's around the corner...

You made that darling quilt so quick. Bet you'll make tons more things for the first grandchild. CONGRATS TO THE PARENTS TO BE & GRANDPARENTS TO BE, AND OTHER RELATIVES. Yes, I can't keep a secret, I have to tell all the News! I'm so happy for all of you.

very sweet! i agree, give it to her now!

Darling quilt.

You will Love being a Granny.

Ooh, sweet baby quilt. I'm excited for you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
    I just found out a week ago yesterday that my daughter is expecting her first baby (our first grandchild!!). I have made a Beatrix Potter quilt to give her on Mothers' Day, along with a story book that contains all of Beatrix Potter's stories. I'm going to call the quilt "Sleepytime Story Quilt", but I 'm not sure if I should make the label, and write in the book, not knowing the baby's sex or name, or wait until he/she is born.

What do you think?..... The baby's not due until Nov. 2st.
    I have no answers for you, but I know that Beatrix Potter baby books are available through Barnes and noble books.

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble....&pos=-1&ugrp=2

That will be a very special Thanksgiving gift!

Such a cute quilt. We can tell your excited but speaking from experience I think I would wait. Now that is just my own personnel opinion since you asked. After all these are early days.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast