Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Christmas Gift "Parrot wall hanging" for Nephew and his wife. >

Christmas Gift "Parrot wall hanging" for Nephew and his wife.

Christmas Gift "Parrot wall hanging" for Nephew and his wife.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:06 PM

Default Christmas Gift "Parrot wall hanging" for Nephew and his wife.

My nephew and his wife have my two birds, Allie my umbrello cockatoo and Rio my quaker parrot. I was going to sell one of my birds because I go away alot and also I'm in the process of looking for a place to live. Where I'm at now isn't too healthy for me or the birds. But when your on a budget you just can't go anywhere. I'm on dissablility. I would love to have a place separate from other houses, as Allie can be quite loud sometimes. When I asked him to take care of Rio when I was getting ready to go away I also was thinking about a home for Allie but I wanted to be able to see her once in awhile but the people didn't want that so I had been very upset when he came for Rio and asked me what was wrong and so I told him. He said don't worry I'll take her and Rio and take care of them and whenever you want them back he would bring them to me. They've grown very attached to them and it's been a long time since I've seen them as I myself don't have a car. So I thought I'd make this wall hanging for them for taking care of my feathered babies.
Attached Thumbnails img_20131125_202802.jpg  
Old 12-14-2013, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

That a pretty wallhanging! As much as you miss your babies, it is good they have found a good home. How old are the birds? I know parrots can live almost as long as a human can.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:04 PM

Thank You, yes I'm so happy my nephew said he would take care of them until I can get a place to where I can have them both back with me. Allie is 16 this year and Rio I'm pretty sure he is 3. He's a character when I got him he could only say a few words. They use to call him quack quack and he would say that all the time. Well he can count, sing twinkle twinkle, he tells Allie shut up, calls me mom, oh he's really funny when he knows I'm mad at him I'll tell him something and then he'll come back and say something like bad bird and then say something in a real low tone . and laugh. I don't teach any of them curse words but whoever had Allie before me taught her to say a word GD which but she mumbles it you have to really listen to her to understand her sometimes. Then I tell her I don't want to hear that . She'll say I'm sorry , and Hello, she doesn't talk much. Now Rio like I said he has a big vocabulary, calls my son Chris, and others. but he will bite you in a minute if you don't watch it. They can live actually to 100 or more depending on how they are taken care of. Another thing cockatoos have a very high dust dandruff and I get cleaning her cage and I get coughing really bad. I think I've become allergic to her. LOL I mist her with water . I just Love them so Much. She got really attached to me and I hated to do that to her because I was her fourth owner and she was so close she knew when I was coming home even if I was 5 mins. away she'd start her hollering and being noisy from what my roomate told me. she even knows when I was on the phone. It's something. I was trying to download a picture of her for my avatar but I'm having trouble doing it.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:45 PM
QM
Power Poster

I like that quilt a lot.
You obviously are a loving bird "parent". Both of our sweet rescue Amazons had to have other homes because my asthma/COPD kept getting worse. I miss them, but I know they went into loving homes and are at least as well off as they were with us. I don't miss cleaning cages or the oral reminders of the abuse the older parrot lived with before we got him. I do wish people would not have parrots OR CHILDREN when they are not ready to give them a loving home and we know the time commitment with parrots is much longer.

The first time we took the older parrot (10 at the time) to a bird vet for a checkup, the vet said the parrot before ours was a very healthy 105 and making life difficult for the elderly spinster who was the grandchild of the original owner, a tramp ship's captain. The parrots swore fluently in at least 5 languages.

Last edited by QM; 12-14-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Awesome job!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Beautiful!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:29 AM

Thank You everyone. Yes people don't realize how fast they can learn and to repeat something they hear at least one time. Even though I would never do it Allie was doing her screaming one day and I was in the LR when I did go out to check her on the way I told my roomate I'm gonna kill her for that screaming Kidding though . Well guess what Rio picked up that quick the next day or so Allie was mouthing off and Rio was saying kill her kill Allie and then he would laugh. So I had to really watched what I said in their hearing distance.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:35 PM

Your bird-babies sound like a real hoot (if you'll pardon the pun!). The wall-hanging you're making for the temporary caregivers is gorgeous. Sure hope you get situated soon and can spend time with your birds.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:48 PM

I was on the phone with someone that had birds, and they are unbelievable.. One was barking like a dog and I thought the family had one. The other one was calling for help, and the police ended up coming over thinking there was a problem.. I'm glad your nephew is able to take care of them, and there won't be a problem when you are able to take them back..