Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Christmas quilted ornaments!

You have done a wonderful job on these.Simply beautiful.

Beautiful!

Oh they are delightful. I have not been able to buy small pins in Tzaneen, so could not make them for a friend for Christmas, so landed up giving her the one i had bought. Will be keeping my eyes open for small pins in future.

I am sure, no correction, i know they will be very happy with your wonderful gift and cherish it for years to come.
    ;)

Blog Entries
    gorgeous. Just learned to make them.

Blog Entries
    These are so pretty!!! Working on some as well and yes, your fingers are taking a toll.

Blog Entries
    Than you for appreciating the work they do. The ornaments are lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by aberi
    9 done, 21 more to go!!! thank you Chamby for posting how to make these. I'm making them for my senior friend that I am P.O.A. for in a nursing home. I will give them to the staff that takes care of him!
    Every year I try to make something original to give to them to say thankyou for all they do!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddly Quilter
    Oh they are delightful. I have not been able to buy small pins in Tzaneen, so could not make them for a friend for Christmas, so landed up giving her the one i had bought. Will be keeping my eyes open for small pins in future.

I am sure, no correction, i know they will be very happy with your wonderful gift and cherish it for years to come.
    ;)
    They have small appliqué pins (325 to a pkg) at Joanns. If you do not have one local you could get the at their online store. I have used 9 pkg already.

Blog Entries
    I bought some Iris Thin pins yesterday. They only had two boxes and I wanted to whip up a dozen before xmas to hand out to the family. Would "silk" pins do as good as the Iris? They are size 20 and I think the silk pins, dritz, were like a size 21. I'm hoping to do some today after I finish piecing a top.

I buy the fine pins (for silk?) -- regular length. I think notions are 2-for-1 today at Joanns.

It helps to use a pencil eraser to push the pins in. Otherwise my hands would be bloody for now.

Any hints on making the bows for the top? My bow-making skills leave a lot to be desired.

Blog Entries
    9 done, 21 more to go!!! thank you Chamby for posting how to make these. I'm making them for my senior friend that I am P.O.A. for in a nursing home. I will give them to the staff that takes care of him!
    Every year I try to make something original to give to them to say thankyou for all they do!
    You are very welcome. However yours look much nicer than mine. I wish I knew how to tie the bows for the top of the ornaments. Maybe you could share that with me.
    Chamby

Blog Entries
    so very pretty, i love them

Those are so cute, and you are so thoughtful for doing them. - Cynthia

You did an amazing job!

I never put an under cloth on at all and I didn't have any problem with the styrofoam ball showing through.
    Angie
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvQuiltin
    went to youtube and found a video which after viewing makes the directions so much easier for me to understand. In this video, the variance that I see is she does not start with a piece "under" the first layer as the directions from about.com have. I think I'll do the undergarment so no chance of the ball showing through. Otherwise, nice video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB9S-...eature=related

I just uses regular sewing pins.... just as long as there is no ball on the head just regular ol straight pins .

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddly Quilter

;)

Just use regular sewing pins.... don't stress about them being thin . Imust have used over 13 pkgs of pins to complete 30 ornaments. Just go to Walmart and buy cheap plan ol sewing pins.
    I bought some Iris Thin pins yesterday. They only had two boxes and I wanted to whip up a dozen before xmas to hand out to the family. Would "silk" pins do as good as the Iris? They are size 20 and I think the silk pins, dritz, were like a size 21. I'm hoping to do some today after I finish piecing a top.

I love these and want to make them for my grandmas friends at the retirement home but I cant find the pattern. Can someone help me with where I might find it?
    Carrie

Your ornaments are gorgeous and will make a lovely gift. I wish I was on your list!

Totally awesome! Great job!

Blog Entries
    thanks for the link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB9S-...eature=related[/quote

went to youtube and found a video which after viewing makes the directions so much easier for me to understand. In this video, the variance that I see is she does not start with a piece "under" the first layer as the directions from about.com have. I think I'll do the undergarment so no chance of the ball showing through. Otherwise, nice video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB9S-...eature=related
    (quote=newestnana) links for these ornaments
    After seeing them on this board I started making some and it's addictive. They are called Folded Star Ornaments:

Here are other links:

good pics:
    http://www.make-stuff.com/projects/quiltball.html
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-31032-1.htm

best instructions:
    http://quilting.about.com/od/holiday...abric-star.htm

Each ornament takes one 3" Styrofoam ball, one 2.5" strip of each of three fabrics (light, medium, dark), some ribbon, a TON of super-fine straight pins, and hot glue gun for putting the final strip around the middle.

At first I was ironing the squares, then got bored and found it worked pretty well without the ironing step

I was a caregiver for 7 1/2 years at three different facilities. It is very appreciated when some one recognizes the hard work it takes to do that job. Many times back injuries are incured because of the work. It's the hardest job I've ever done. On behalf of those caregivers THANK YOU :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    thoses are soooo beautifukl. made them one year, alot of work and pins,
    people at my house didn't appricicate them, but i sure do, look at all that beautiful work and fabric!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3