Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Colors ok??  UPDATED W/ MORE PICS >

Colors ok?? UPDATED W/ MORE PICS

Colors ok?? UPDATED W/ MORE PICS

Old 01-07-2008, 02:48 PM

Are all the blocks going to br the same. I think the colors look good together. I think the orange sets it off well. if I'm not sure how a block is going to look . I use one of those cheap party kalidoscopes that my kids have brought home and look at the block through it so I can see how many of the same blocks are going to look.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:47 PM

Hi Kyiav. I have to say it really depends on what emotion you are trying to evoke as to whether or not the fabrics work. If you are going for something very soft and with little contrast, then I think you've chosen some beautiful fabrics. If you are looking for the butterflies to pop out more and make more of a statement, then I would suggest trying fabrics that have more contrast in them. Right now your fabrics are in the light and medium-light to medium range and with the exception of the upper wing fabric you have all the same texture/value; your fabrics read as a solid. That isn't bad, just something I noticed.

Personally, I think the colors are beautiful and I like the soft look. I think the quilting will be what makes or breaks this quilt. I think quilting it in stronger colors and adding in metallic threads would really make this stunning.

Yeah, those color cards from the paint section of any Wal-Mart type store are a wonderful thing!! If you have or know someone who has a rivoting tool, you can put a stack together with a rivot at the top. This keeps them all together and lets you fan them out when you are choosing colors. Jenny Beyer actually sells something similar for about $50. Personally, the paint store color cards work the same for substantially less!!

Oooh, another tip I absolutely love. You know those body scrubbers, the scrunchie things that cost $.99 for use in the shower? Those are excellent to use to scrub the fabric lint off your cutting mat. If you are cutting a lot of fabric out, give it a try and every so often wipe down your cutting mat with it. It's amazing how it picks up any and all threads or fabric dust stuck to the mat.

Hm, this turned out a bit longer than I expected. :oops: Good luck and I can't wait to see how your quilt looks once you have a few more blocks up. I think it is going to be quite beautiful.
~Tiffany
Old 01-07-2008, 04:24 PM

Well my 2 cents here is .. I like it. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To each his own.. that's what makes the word go round!

When I first started quilting my teacher didn't understand my color combos, when the quilts were done everyone was in awe.

Sometimes we have to do what feels right to US and what WE like!

Can't wait to see it all put together!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:50 PM

Thank you everyone for the positive comments. I haven't worked on the butterflied in about two weeks b/c I was getting the train car quilt bordered and waiting to get it on a frame. I have all of the blue solid blocks cut and abour 6-7 butterfly blocks done. I will post some pics tonight when I get home.

P.S. I just love this site. People are great with their responses and suggestions. It's great.

P.S. I like the idea of the sparkly thread. I think I am going to do this to help it pop.

Kyia
Old 01-08-2008, 09:07 AM

BUMP

more pics added
Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 AM

OOO It looks really good .. I think it pops off the background fabric just SUPER! Great color choices!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:42 AM

I really like it.. Your color choices have a classy elegant look.. Your layout emphasizes classy and not over done... I think your thread choice is perfect for it... Just my opinion :lol:
Old 01-09-2008, 04:08 PM

It's coming together quite nicely Kyia. You're really getting a lot of blocks made. At this rate you'll be done in no time. *sigh* I envy people who seem to work at such a nice pace. I swear I am the slowest sewer. :P
~Tiffany