Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you want to see some progress??

Izy
    On the celtic flower, the applique was hand stitched, using pre-fused bias binding around the flower, but on the leaves I made my own bias with the clover gadget with a darker version of the inner leave material and hand stitched in place, then embroidered some leaf veins etc to embellish it. The teddy bear block, rabbit block, three tulip block, woven block were all appliqued using fusing method and machine stitched in place.

This block appliqued by hand.
    Name:  Attachment-7134.jpe
Views: 6
Size:  76.9 KB

This block appliqued by machine.
    Name:  Attachment-7135.jpe
Views: 12
Size:  68.4 KB

This block appliqued by hand.
    Name:  Attachment-7136.jpe
Views: 7
Size:  47.9 KB

Izy
    What is the clover thingy you mentioned? Would you maybe consider giving some lessons? I'm serious, I'm not trying to be rude by asking, I soo love your work.

Izy
    crikey, am still learning myself, but I am always willing to share what I have learnt lol!!! :D I love to share tips and how to make life easier.

The clover bias maker is available in different sizes, 1/4" etc. You cut your fabric up on the bias as usual, 3/4" wide for 1/4" finish etc. and you feed it through this little gadget which rolls the sides in and you iron it in place while you pull it through - does that make sense - just google clover bias strip maker and I am sure you will find one, very quick and easy to use!!

I have just googled clover bias maker and found a site which actually shows you how to make your own using no more than a needle and your iron!! creativelittledaisy.typepad.com/creative_little_daisy/2007/11/diy-version-of.html - 53k - Check this out, I might try this myself, you just widen the gap between our need to the size you wish your bias to be - how clever!!! Good luck!! :-) :-) :-)

Izy
    How qurikie is this, I had a Hu moment, when you mentioned (clover) So I looked through my sewing gadgets and, I had vaguely remebered buying a gadget that was a gadget for bias, I also bought the fusible strip as well. So I think I have what your talking about. Altho I've never used it. It is still in pkg. Now my next question. I hope I explain this right. You make your leaf, Do you use fuseable for the leaf, to turn your edges? Or do you use double sided fuseable to iron the leaf flat? Or do you use single sided fuseable, sew, and then turn, to press your leaf in place? And then apply the fuseable bias? Then you hand or machine stitch your bais tape in place? You may be new, by your standards, but you sure can teach this ole dog some new tricks. I really don't get to excited over quilt instructions, or traditional style patterns. I've alway been a applique type person. But your work is something that this ole dog can bark about. I hope I'm not bothering you with too many questions, or chewing up your valueable quilting time. I sooo appreciate you helping me to understand.

Izy
    Don't ever think you are pestering me, it's lovely to be of use and what a coicidence you already having the clover gadget.

I use double sided fusible (bondaweb) and fused the leaf flat, then made the green bias using the clover thingy, but didn't know at the time you could buy the strip of fusing to insert whilst making the bias, but to be honest it is rather expensive, and I found it so easy just to hand stitch it without even pinning it, just easing it around the curves and using small stitches on both sides of the bias, then triming up the ends and tucking under as I went. You do have to plan where you intend to go, as some of the bias will 'look' better tucked under and some will flow better if placed over. Does that make any sense??? lol!!! :?

Yes that dose make sense, Since I have used bias in the past for flower stems. Never struck me to use as an outline for a piece, or to enhance a piece. That is just the the neatest idea, and it really makes,(as your work shows) a piece pop, Yes I have the double stick 5mm fusible web, and the clover gadget makes a 1/4"bias, I have to cut on the bias of the fabric a piece 3/8" wide. Thanks so much.

Izy
    Your very welcome, always willing to help, just post me some pictures so I can see how you are getting on please :-) :!:

I just went through this thread for the very first time.. I am so impressed.. Everything is beautiful.. You have so much talent...

Izy
    thanks again for your positive feedback, its very encouraging, so...off to stitch now, catch up later with you all!! xx :)

Izy
    Sorry I don't have the ability to post pictures. I'm talking to a friend now about coming over and taking pictures of some of my quilts. By the way, what breed is your buddy? He is really cute, love his color and markins. And he has a face full of personality.

Izy
    Sasha is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, totally adored by all who meet her, she has no morals or dignity and will befriend all who indulge her, really she is a great and loyal companion who fills my day, wherever I am she is one step behind, or quite often one step in front as she knows my routine better than I do even if she is fast asleep and I go to the bathroom, in she trots for a cuddle on the loo!! I wondered why she was coming to me every afternoon bang on 3pm, as she doesn't get fed until 5, then I realised.... a few weeks before I was hosting our stitching group at my place until we found a larger hall as we had grown so much, and 3pm was tea and cakes time!! -- Sasha never got out of the routine, 20 ladies all giving her treats.... they way to my girl is definitely through her stomach!! :lol: :lol:

Izy
    Heres a couple more of my baby!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your baby is darling! When I die and come back as a dog can I be YOUR dog? I also love the close up of your quilt work. I'm amazed at your talent. Keep on sewing and keep on sharing.

Blog Entries
    Love it. My first large quilt was a sampler and I think everyone should start out that way. You get experience in so many different methods. I've made full quilts out of at least four of the blocks off my first sampler. My sashing was much simpler than yours and I was so proud of my first quilt, you should be really proud of yourself. :thumbup:

Izy
    I couldn't agree with you more!! I have about 6 or more blocks left over as the quilt developed I didn't like a couple of the colour choices I made, but these will be put to good use - a quilt for my pal Sasha!!!!

These were all hand pieced but I decided they were all too dark but gave me lots of practice
    Attached Images Attached Images

Izy
    As you have surley learned by now, your work is great. Sasha, will love her quilt. She loves tea and cakes too, Yes indeed a very smart little Lady. She wants everyone to know that she is part of the quilting group to. She needs alittle collar, that states she is Izy"s offical quilt tester. A really cute buddy.

How many times have I tried to do the Cathedral Window block...more times than days I've been on earth and I JUST CAN"T get them to turn out. I love the block . Thanks for sharing.

Izy
    Now there was a challenge set that I can't resist, a little collar quilted or should I applique......, trapunto......., hand, or machine..... free motion or free dogs up....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

What ever you decide, Will turn out Great, I have no Dout.....

Izy, I love all Asian fabric and am drooling over your beautifully stitched crane!

sue

beautiful quilts. love your work.

I haven't posted a note about your gorgeous quilt because all the words have been used!! Izy, your quilt is neat and I am enjoying reading about your quilting experiences. (I really liked the pictures of your quilting buddy checking out your work. What a cutie!!)

Izy
    Your kind comments are very welcome, I have been busy quilting the sashings or lattices I think you all call them, this evening, and I thought I would catch up with the quilting group for an hour before bed!!

Thanks again, will post more pictures probably tomorrow.

Izy
    Well tomorrow turned into six weeks, as I have been busy on other projects, brought this back up to front page as newbie Ruth was admiring the quilt in the latest thread about stitching with an open toe foot, hope you enjoy checking out the rest of this thread ruth....... :)

Izy and Aggi:
    You quilts are GORGEOUS but your furry little inspectors MAKE them. I love your work and I love your photos of the inspectors enjoying your lovely work. Thanks for sharing.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast