Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
does every one that makes quilts have one of these >

does every one that makes quilts have one of these

does every one that makes quilts have one of these

Old 11-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Nope!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:45 PM

I have one and I LOVE it! It also doubles nicely as a cat bed!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
I have one and I LOVE it! It also doubles nicely as a cat bed!
LOL! I was going to say that if I had one, my cats would claim it as a hammock! :lol:
Old 11-23-2010, 08:48 PM
bj

I have had one for awhile. I used it when I first started out to put the quilts on to tie (that's all I knew how to do). When I started machine quilting, I put it back in it's box. Now about the only time I use it is to make a tent when my grandson comes to visit. I'll be using it again after the Christmas holidays to tie a larger quilt for my dad, which will be too big to manage with my machine, I think.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 PM

My sister helped me make one of these. It cost me around $15 with stuff from home depot. The hardest part was using a scroll saw to cut about a third off one of the pvc pieces for the clamps. Otherwise easy peasy! I use that non slip shelf liner in small pieces inside the clamp to keep the tension tight. LOVE IT!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:45 PM

I purchased the exact frame not too long ago because I was finding that my body mechanics were really suffering as I was trying to hand quilt my first queen size quilt. It was just not comfortable for me to use a large quilting hoop frame in my lap with so much fabric. Now I can sit with a good supportive chair and angle the frame to the right height for me. I also like this because it's easy to move from room to room and it's easy to take a part for travel.

I chose this one also because I didn't know how much I will be hand quilting in the future (after this quilt is done...though it's going to take a really long time so I'll definitely will get my money's worth!) and this was much cheaper than so many others that I looked at. Hobby Lobby also carries these and I used a 40% off coupon for it.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:48 PM

I have had this for years and I use it for tying some quilts. I love the lightness and portability.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

To specifically answer your question, no, it is NOT a table. It's a frame for holding the layered top/batting/backing sandwich in order to baste it, to hand tie it, or to handquilt it.

You have to make the quilt top first before using one of these.

As noted by other replies, there are many ways of accomplishing what this frame would do. $50 seems to be no real bargain to me.

Jan in VA
Old 11-23-2010, 10:50 PM

I have one just like that. I got it at joann's at 50% off for $50. I have hand quilted 2 quilts with it.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 PM

I don't have that floor frame but I do have it in the hand frame. It was the first frame I purchased 12 years ago. My floor frame is the old fashioned wood and screws kind, that was given to me and that I wish I had room in my home to set up. I am asking for a "square" hand hoop and floor hoop w/light for Christmas.