Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Elmo Rag Quilt Done!

Elmo Rag Quilt Done!

I finally finished the Elmo Rag quilt that I started in December for my 12 year old daughter. I bought an Elmo flannel print from Joann Fabrics, and several bright primary color flannels, blue, red, yellow, green, all colors that coordinated with the print. I have NEVER cut that many squares in my entire life. And that includes paper. I really don't remember how much fabric I asked for but I cut up the entire thing into squares. And then I cut batting too. Now here's the thing. I get a little crazy when it comes to patterns and numbers. I brought out my graph paper. I brought out my red, blue, yellow, and green markers. I counted all my squares and made a notation of how many I had of each. I figured out how large my quilt would be (how many squares across and down). I created the pattern you see by coloring in squares on my graph until it all came together. That took an entire day and then night. I drew tons of grids and then slept on it. When I found a grid that worked I used that as my blueprint. I referred to it while I sewed my squares together and then the rows. And oh the cutting. After the first day, I went out and bought some spring-loaded scissors. It took me about two weeks to finish cutting. I cut every night before I went to bed. Then, I took it to a laundromat next to my job and washed it and dried it during my lunch hour so what you see, is only a one time rag quilt washing. It has a lot more washing to truly rag up according to the stuff I read. The only thing I am really disappointed with is the pilling of the fabric. How do I get those balls off? I tried lint rollers but they haven't worked. Anyway, my daughter loves the quilt. She loves Elmo, all her friends in Middle school do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Who doesn't love Elmo?! I admire your tenacity in sticking with it until you got what you wanted. It's very cute! I'll bet all your daughter's friends are jealous. You did good. I've never made a rag quilt or even used flannel, so I can't help you with the pilling.

Very cute sure is a lot of cutting.

It's very cute.

Blog Entries
    Great job...love the brightness.

Love your Elmo!
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

Blog Entries
    nicely done
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Power Poster
    very nice!!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Very cute!

wow, my grandson would love a quilt like this!

I had the same problem with pilling. Joann`s sells a shaver meant to take pills off sweaters, etc. It worked for me, but is time consuming.

What a great rag quilt you have made for your daughter! Great job figuring it all and sticking with it. I'm sure she loves it and you for making it.

Blog Entries
    very nice and thanks for the info Very helpful

Came out beautifully!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Great job!!!!!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Super cute quilt. The same thing happened to me with the pilling. I made a really cute baby quilt for my Great nephew. When I was finished I noticed that there was a lot of pilling in the front. Of course I can't give the quilt to him (I can just see him picking all the pills and putting them into his mouth). I am not sure how this crib quilt will be used. The fabric was not cheap. Does anyone know why some pill and others don't? Does anyone know how to tell when it will do this? At least you don't have to worry about your daughter putting the pills in her mouth. I am sure that she doesn't care. The quilt is so cute and you worked so hard on it. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

What a great quilt! Are you ready for her friends to place their orders ? LOL I'm sure they'll want one too.
    Happiness is a form of travel...not a destination.

Blog Entries
    My grandson would LOVE your quilt. He loves Elmo.

Blog Entries
    Your tenacity paid off....adorable and cozy rag quilt!
    Helen T.