Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: An English Country Sewing Room

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Hello everyone, I recently moved back to England after 5 years of living in France and our new home is an old school teacher's house with school room attached. Guess what the old school room has become? :mrgreen:

It's around 15' square with large casement windows in the east and west walls so lots of natural light but no direct sun. There's a half glazed door to the old school playground at the back of the house, a door into the old school cloakroom and a further door through into the living room of the main house. The floor is cork which is warm and soft on my feet (I'm a barefoot sew-er!) and easy to clean. The ceiling is nice and high which gives a feeling of space and the room for a design wall 8' high. (I keep a step ladder in the attached cloakroom so I can reach the top if necessary!)

Hans, my DH put in the worktops on an 'L' so that my new Janome table would sit in the corner created. This gives space to the left and behind for when I'm quilting. The little drawers to the right of my machine are on wheels (they hold threads, bobbins and machine feet, tools and so on). These I can pull round to the left to give more support to a large quilt when doing FMQ.

My cutting table is two Ikea breakfast bar units placed side by side, giving a surface that is 6' long by just under 3' wide. Plastic tubs on the shelves underneath hold my stash and my cutters, templates and notions are in the drawers.

There are quite a few photos so please bear with me! Can you tell I LOVE my new room! In our French house, my room was little more than a cupboard - to quilt I had to move everything down onto the dining table, so this is something of an improvement! :lol:

View from the living room door
    Name:  Attachment-90088.jpe
Views: 729
Size:  50.6 KB

My design wall - 6' by 8', made from cotton poly blend wadding stapled to a wooden batten
    Name:  Attachment-90089.jpe
Views: 777
Size:  60.0 KB

Cutting table and stash storage
    Name:  Attachment-90090.jpe
Views: 3645
Size:  55.0 KB

My computer and little storage drawers on the shelf above, my quilting magazines are in boxes on the window ledge
    Name:  Attachment-90092.jpe
Views: 807
Size:  36.0 KB

This is my DH's corner when he works from home but as he uses a laptop, it's empty when he's not there! He doesn't mind that I've encroached on his space with my quilts hanging behind him!
    Name:  Attachment-90093.jpe
Views: 751
Size:  44.1 KB

A close up of finished quilts - this is a hanging rail, again from good ol' Ikea and trouser hangers holding the quilts. I'll refold them every now and then to avoid creases!
    Name:  Attachment-90094.jpe
Views: 838
Size:  79.9 KB

This is a double free-standing garment rail holding some tops waiting to be quilted and some basted quilts in the process of being quilted - can you tell I work on a 'multi-WIP system'! LOL Behind on the wall is another rail holding my smaller finished pieces
    Name:  Attachment-90097.jpe
Views: 751
Size:  45.2 KB

View from the school yard door. The fabric on the cutting table is a Clarice Cliff print that I just bought yesterday to make an OBW. She was an English ceramicist in the Art Deco period (I don't know if her work reached America but I love it!)
    Name:  Attachment-90098.jpe
Views: 651
Size:  42.2 KB

My baby in her new table. All that space to the back and left is wonderful for FMQ, thank you to my wonderful DH! The drawers hold threads and pull round to the left to give more supporting workspace when quilting
    Name:  Attachment-90099.jpe
Views: 690
Size:  54.4 KB

That is an amazing space, I'm so jealous!

Blog Entries
    Very nice setup...I am envious!

Gal
    Wow, your work space is wonderful, love CC, I have a couple of her plates. Love your quilts too!

Gal

Wow. I love your space. Maybe one day I can have something similar. At this stage that's just a dream.

Blog Entries
    Wow!!!! Love it.

Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    _________________________.

(That's me, being speechless.) Does your hubbie have to join you in this sewing room for dinner? Personally, I would never come out.

Blog Entries
    That is a wonderful space. Enjoy it. I hope you won't mind if I borrow a few ideas!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I am so pleased and delighted with it, and so grateful to my very clever and generous DH - so yes, I DO force myself to leave every now and then and cook him the odd meal! LOL

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    That is a wonderful space. Enjoy it. I hope you won't mind if I borrow a few ideas!
    Absolutely I don't mind at all! That's partly the reason I posted all the pics. Also, I admit, to show off a bit! :mrgreen: :lol:

That certainly is a beautiful room.

Wow! Enjoy your wonderful space!

Simply beautiful!

I have cutting table envy!! there is a little green monster running around my sewing room. must be who keeps trashing the place

Great space!!

Izy
    K, you must feel like you have died and gone to quilter's heaven!! What a fantastic room!!

Did you choose this house specifically?? LOL!!

It's fantastic, I am SOOOOOOOOO green with envy, but so pleased for you!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

What a wonderful sewing room!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Izy - I tell everyone that I chose a garden and sewing room that happened to have a house attached! LOL

Re the cutting table, check out Ikea. I love this as it's at standing height - I can't cut sitting down and a regular height desk, ie for sitting, gives me backache. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/60045393 This link is to the UK site but I think most products are available worldwide. :lol:

Blog Entries
    WOW!! That is one of the BEST sewing rooms I've seen yet!

Great room Kathryn. Love the way you have it set up. Your posting has made me want to post my room now, but it is a mess right now and grands coming today for the week. Maybe I can get the girls to help me to clean!!!!

Love the way you have your quilts hanging, but I think you should send me a couple of them so I can use them!!!! LOL

Very organized! I love your cutting table, was it home made or did you buy it. I'd love to know! BEEutiful Quilts TOO!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QweenBee
    Very organized! I love your cutting table, was it home made or did you buy it. I'd love to know! BEEutiful Quilts TOO!
    If you look at my post before this, you can get the link to Ikea where I bought it. It's actually 2 units intended I think as breakfast bars or kitchen islands but this is a MUCH better use for them! :lol:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Hey beachlady, I'm tapping my fingers here dying to see yours! I remember how it was just when you moved in!

can I come and sew at your house, so nice!!!!!

Very nice!
    love your quilt hanging idea!

I'm jealous too. My sewing room is a veryyyyy small room. Love yours. Thanks for sharing

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast