Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fabric for OBW???

I have seen a lot OBW and I really want to make one, but being on the financially troubled side, I cannot buy the book. I have seen some really good tutorials, I just cannot figure how to find the right fabric. I think the repeat across is 21". This fabric just went on sale and if I cash in my change I can get it, but I don't want to do that if it will not work. I would never use this fabric for anything else. LOL. All help is is wanted and very, very appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

MTS
    Banned
    I think that would make a great OBW.

That's about a 5" picture of the pattern, right?

It has a variety of colors and values (really important), and some weird shapes in there. The planets and comets will look great in a kaleidoscope.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I too think it would make a great OBW! Go for it!

Yes! I think it would make a stunning OBW!

Just remember you have to buy 6 repeats. So that's a lot of fabric if you aren't sure about it.

Having said that I think it would be great as a OBW!

Where is it on sale? I agree, it would make a great obw!!! :-D

I think it would be a wonderful OBW. Cool looking fabric for it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah Stewart
    I think the repeat across is 21".
    Do you mean across the width of the fabric or along the length? You need to measure along (parallel with) the selvedge to determine your repeats, not across the width. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post, just wanted to clarify. If the repeat is 21 in along the edge, then you would need to buy 6 X 21= 126 inches which is exactly 3.5 yards but you definately need to buy 4 yards to allow for a wonky cut. I would also suggest an additional yard, so 5 in all. I agree with everyone else that this looks like it would make a great OBW!

I think it would work very well. Enough color and design to make good contrast.

Blog Entries
    Oh Yes!! Excellent choice :D:D:D

Cool Fabric!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah Stewart
    I think the repeat across is 21".
    Do you mean across the width of the fabric or along the length? You need to measure along (parallel with) the selvedge to determine your repeats, not across the width. Sorry if I misinterpreted your post, just wanted to clarify. If the repeat is 21 in along the edge, then you would need to buy 6 X 21= 126 inches which is exactly 3.5 yards but you definately need to buy 4 yards to allow for a wonky cut. I would also suggest an additional yard, so 5 in all. I agree with everyone else that this looks like it would make a great OBW!
    in this case (let's say 5 yards.) how big a finished product are you talking about? nobody seems to be able to say what the ratio is between yardage and finished product, even approximately.

I have wanted to use outer space fabric for a obw for a long time. I have several yards of one -but I prewash and you aren't suppose to do that for obw's... I bought it at Joann's when I was up north... but our Joann's is opening Friday! Yay! I am crossing my fingers they have the one I want to use :)

That will make a fabulous one :)

Blog Entries
    Regarding the size of the completed quilt: well, that's a good question... It depends on how big you cut the triangles and lay out the completed hexagons. It will be less than you think because there are lots of seams. I'm guessing that it will be a largish throw, about 60X60, but it is really variable. If you get 5 yards, you will probably have about a yard left over you can use for borders or a piece you can add to the backing. You can cut the triangles any size, but I think a good size is under 4", like 3.5 or 3.75. Just make sure you use a 60 degree ruler to cut equilateral triagles (measure the same on all 3 sides)

I did a throw, then enlarged it to make a twin quilt with borders from a OBW patttern and needed 4 yards with a 10 inch repeat.

okay ;) somebody willing to comment on the size issue!

i was THINKING about what it takes to do a ....let's round up to 100 x 100.
    at that size, i wouldn't dream of small hexes. and i think that size can take large ones. so in the range of finished 10" at the widest measurement, what would you GUESS (this is not a test) is the amount of yardage needed? bigger hexes = fewer seams.

at the other end of the scale, what would you think at 6" finished at the widest?

I personally think too large of hexagon wont be as pretty I think The 6 would be better....

MTS
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by daisey
    I personally think too large of hexagon wont be as pretty I think The 6 would be better....
    I agree. Based on the size of the penny relative to the planets, I also think 6" would be better. So cutting the strips around 3.5" or 3.75" should work out fine.

The final size of the hexagon doesn't have to be an established (even) size ....just as long as all the strips are cut the same width.

i think that would be great

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing

at that size, i wouldn't dream of small hexes. and i think that size can take large ones. so in the range of finished 10" at the widest measurement, what would you GUESS (this is not a test) is the amount of yardage needed? bigger hexes = fewer seams.

at the other end of the scale, what would you think at 6" finished at the widest?
    The bigger the hex's, the less contrast. Did you see k3n's post where she used three different sizes of hexs of the same fabric? Here it is.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-82074-1.htm

BFW, here is a quote directly from the OBW book:

"How much fabric should you buy? There are very few rules, but there are some guidelines. The size of the quilt depends not only on how much fabric you buy, but also on how many hexagon blocks...you eventually use in the quilt...(and) on how you arrange t he hexagons and on the shape of the finished quilt. To make a good lap-size, twin, or full-size quilt, 4.5 y ards for hexagon blocks or 5.75 yards for octagon blocks is enough. For a queen size or larger quilt, double those amounts to 9 yards for hexagon blocks or 11.5 yards for octagon blocks.

Measure the repeat. If the (repeat) is 6" to 8", which is a short repeat, the fabric will produce a very small project. Larger prints usually feature a repeat about every 24". This is the type of fabric I typically choose. Four to five yards makes a very comfortable lap quilt, and depending on the borders used, it can grow to almost any size.

For Hexagons: 6 repeats at 24" each is exactly 4 yards...Add an extra half yard or yard (4. 5 or 5 yards) to have a piece of the original fabric as a reference."

BFW, I probably wouldn't recommend cutting strips any bigger than six inches, and I'm not sure that wouldn't be too big. It would depend on the print.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    Where is it on sale? I agree, it would make a great obw!!! :-D
    Joann fabric has it thirty percent off right and one of the girls there sees me looking a lot a buying little so she said she would use her employee discount which is ten percent. She told me the fabric would not be on sale next weekend and gave me a fifty percent off coupon for any regular priced item. She said if I could wait til next week I could have it for 50% off, so I think I am going to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing

The bigger the hex's, the less contrast. Did you see k3n's post where she used three different sizes of hexs of the same fabric? Here it is.

"How much fabric should you buy? There are very few rules, but there are some guidelines. The size of the quilt depends not only on how much fabric you buy, but also on how many hexagon blocks...you eventually use in the quilt...(and) on how you arrange t he hexagons and on the shape of the finished quilt. To make a good lap-size, twin, or full-size quilt, 4.5 y ards for hexagon blocks or 5.75 yards for octagon blocks is enough. For a queen size or larger quilt, double those amounts to 9 yards for hexagon blocks or 11.5 yards for octagon blocks.

Measure the repeat. If the (repeat) is 6" to 8", which is a short repeat, the fabric will produce a very small project. Larger prints usually feature a repeat about every 24". This is the type of fabric I typically choose. Four to five yards makes a very comfortable lap quilt, and depending on the borders used, it can grow to almost any size.

For Hexagons: 6 repeats at 24" each is exactly 4 yards...Add an extra half yard or yard (4. 5 or 5 yards) to have a piece of the original fabric as a reference."

BFW, I probably wouldn't recommend cutting strips any bigger than six inches, and I'm not sure that wouldn't be too big. It would depend on the print.

Super helpful!!!!

This is probably the picture I should of posted to help! LOL, sorry, I am newer to this then what I would like to believe. The only reason I want this fabric is I got half a yard for $2.5 (some remnant), LOL, when I got home and opened it up my daughter fell in love with this material. She asked if I would make her a blankie with it. So I was thinking she will turn 5 on March 4, so I might be able to get it done by then! She wraps her dolls in it right now, so, I am on a mission! LOL... And thanks for all the help and support, for this new quilter it mean a lot!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gaigai

i looked at k3n's and i really liked the larger ones better. it seemed to me that the little ones ran together and lost the print.

on page 17, in the yellow box, she says that it's important to use fabric from the same bolt. but she also says that for a queen you need 9 yards. that's more than one bolt. also, on page 14, she says that too many colours is not preferred, nor is one color. but she shows a lovely quilt on page 15 made of only one colour. and here we've seen quilts with many colors that i wouldn't mind owning. also, she mentions somewhere that she likes a 24" repeat. my point being this: there don't seem to be any hard and fast rules. i know that as long as the triangles for each hex are all exactly the same, it doesn't matter where they are cut from. the repeats are there for registration marks on the strip. and your strips are determined by the size of the triangles, not the other way around. and the colours you choose are totally up to your taste. so i've been following all the posts and getting more and more confused about what i read and what makes sense to me. on page 13 she says large is good, meaning that a larger print is better than small one. that's because a small print doesn't show a variety of colours. this is also true of small blocks, imo. the larger blocks have room to
    widen out and show the colours next to the center colours. for example, if you show a rose in the center, all you see in a small block is the rose, but if the block is larger you also get to see the leaf and the stem and maybe the sky. the larger block can make a more interesting design. i don't see any rules except that all the triangles have to be exactly alike for each hex. size and colour is a strictly personal choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast