Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Finished my second Dear Jane top!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by karenfae
    Just this morning I managed to finished my second dear jane top - of course it still needs to be quilted and I won't get around to doing that for awhile - here is a photo --
    edited: more photos on my blog
    Beautiful quilt, but I have to ask...

If insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results...

What do you call revisiting insanity?

Blog Entries
    WOW!!! Your 2nd? I love it :D:D:D

(Beautiful quilt, but I have to ask...

If insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results...

What do you call revisiting insanity?)

I'm not quite sure what you are asking - the first Dear Jane quilt that I did I named "Insanity" as I felt I was insane to get started on it as it can drive you nuts after awhile - but yet when I finished it I missed working on those little pieces so I started another one and felt that the title "Insanity Revisited" was an appropriate name for it. A lot of people who work on dear Jane quilts give them names as you work on them for so. Also I give all of my quilts a name.

Just this morning I managed to finished my second dear jane top - of course it still needs to be quilted and I won't get around to doing that for awhile - here is a photo --
    edited: more photos on my blog
    Stunning...:)

Beautiful, a nice legacy to your daughter.

You have to be kidding!! You actually did this twice? Two gals in my guild worked for 3 years to get the blocks and border done on their quilts. They are gorgeous though and would be a real challenge. Maybe someday, I do have the pattern and CD.

I'm still trying to find the patience to finish the first one. Congratulations of a great job!

Blog Entries
    Lovely quilt. How long did it take you to finish it, it is so intricate. The blocks look really complicated, are they paper pieced. The triangular border pieces look spectacular. I forgot to say, I love your color choice.

Wow! Just amazing, I made DH take a look, he was in awe!

Quote Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
    Lovely quilt. How long did it take you to finish it, it is so intricate. The blocks look really complicated, are they paper pieced. The triangular border pieces look spectacular. I forgot to say, I love your color choice.
    no it isn't paper pieced, it is hand pieced and needle turn applique and reverse applique - some of the blocks are very complicated it took me 383 hours I believe (I have it written down but not handy) I shaved 90 hours off of the time compared to doing it the first time (same method)
    I lot of people do it by machine and do paper piecing for some blocks. I just like hand piecing and choose that.

thank you everyone for your compliment on the quilt and the colors - I love the colors too :)

Quote Originally Posted by quilt3311
    You have to be kidding!! You actually did this twice? Two gals in my guild worked for 3 years to get the blocks and border done on their quilts. They are gorgeous though and would be a real challenge. Maybe someday, I do have the pattern and CD.
    yes twice - I guess I'm crazy :) the first time hand piecing it took me 490 hours to do and over 3 years.
    this second time about 383 hours and 2 years and 8 months. That is normal for a dear jane though, I have heard of some that put it aside for months and years and one that I heard (the longest) took 10 years to complete it.

Unbelievable.....I admire people like you. This is gorgeous!!!
    Sue from Yellville, AR

Wow!!! It's awesome....I love red and white quilts!

I can't believe that you did 2 Dear Janes -- and by hand too. I did about 45 blocks on the machine and had to quit. Too many other projects in the fire to concentrate on it. Plus, those blocks are sooooo small and hard too. I used one of the examples in the book and did a lap sized quilt with a black background and the blocks on point in rows. It looks nice on my family room wall. Right now I'm doing a blue and white one with just the blocks that can be appliqued. I belong to a Dear Jane group at my favorite quilt store, so I keep trying to do something Jane. Great work on yours. I love the red and white.

Too beautiful for words.

A stunner! WOW

wow

I started the first one about 6 years ago I guess and finished quilting it and gave it to my oldest daughter a little over a year ago. This second one I started a little more than 2 1/2 years ago and now it will be put aside to hand quilt when the quilt on have on my frame comes off. (I have hand pieced both of these quilts and hand quilting is what I do.) this second quilt will go to my younger daughter.
    This is absolutely gorgeous! Was it any easier the second time? I love your choice of colors, BTW :D :D :D

Museum quality!!!

That is soooooo beautiful!

yes it was easier the second time - I remember which blocks were really difficult to make the way the pieces are shown and actually made some with more pieces so the seams came together better and in some I appliqued more. I decided it didn't have to be exactly the same as the one in the book or exactly the same as the first one I did. Unless you look closely you really can't tell the differences unless you are looking for them

Never even heard of a dear Jane quilt, but it is truly amazing & the fact that you did all this by hand...I am speachless. Really a beautiful piece of art & a treasure for each of your daughters. They must be so very loved.

You named it right. I think I would be insane if I had to make even one Dear Jane. :thumbdown:

It is a masterpiece.

Blog Entries
    wow that's really beauitful, and im not a dear jane fan but yours is more beauitful then the one from pattern i would make one more like yours

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast