Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Motion Quilting with my Baby Lock Quest Plus

I've been practicing free motion on my new machine and it does fantastic....! Here's a small practice sample I did...I'm so proud of myself and my machine. I tried Leah Day's technique, where you do not drop the feed dogs, but instead, take the stitch length down to zero and then cover your feed dogs.......I am thrilled with the results!!

Sandi
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great job!! what did you cover your feeddogs with? do you put presser foot down with this technique?

Thank you for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Is your machine a regular size machine or does it have more room in the sewing ares

I used the Slider, which is pricey, but I love it..It sticks really well to your machine, your fabric moves really easy, and it has a pre-cut opening for your needle...I use a free motion foot that came with my machine and yes you put the foot down, but it doesn't sit all the way down on the fabric....

Does "dropping the feed dogs" and "covering them" render the same results?

Great job by the way

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work!

Blog Entries
    If you lower the feed dogs, they stay below the plate. If you leave them up but cover them, they move up with each stitch you take, which puts just a bit of additional pressure on the quilt sandwich at the precise moment you make the stitch. Sort of the same effect you have with a hopping foot. The foot presses down only when you make a stitch.

you're doing great!

Susan

now that looks good. I need to start learning FMQ, but I am such a chicken to try. Your machine did a wonderful job.

Sandi, I'm jealous! Great job! :thumbup:

thank you for the explanation. I've been practicing FMQ and it's time for me to just go for it

Blog Entries
    I just got a new baby lock esante. I was wondering about free motion! I have the foot. I also have a little plate that covers the feed dog for when I do embroidery. I wonder if that would work?

your stitching is awesome. Such even stitches. You are a pro. I have taken lessons from three different places and still can't master FMQ. I am envious.

Very nice job... Nice even stitches... Good for you!!!!

Blog Entries
    I read somewhere you can tape a business card over the feed dogs for Free Motion Quilting.

Great job

I just got a new to me babylock quilters pro - thanks for the information - I haven't gotten beyond straight stitch but now I really want to try more! Great quilting!

Power Poster
    Nice work.

Blog Entries
    Looks good. Thanks for sharing all that information.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    If you lower the feed dogs, they stay below the plate. If you leave them up but cover them, they move up with each stitch you take, which puts just a bit of additional pressure on the quilt sandwich at the precise moment you make the stitch. Sort of the same effect you have with a hopping foot. The foot presses down only when you make a stitch.
    But if you have your stitch length on ZERO how would the feed dogs be moving? They should not move at all. I learned to do that years and years ago---using my treadle sewing machine.

Sibyl

Just wondering if it does make a difference to keep the feed dog up, but why then covering them? I would like to improve my FMQ but always was told to put them down only if your machine won't let you to cover them.????
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
    I've been practicing free motion on my new machine and it does fantastic....! Here's a small practice sample I did...I'm so proud of myself and my machine. I tried Leah Day's technique, where you do not drop the feed dogs, but instead, take the stitch length down to zero and then cover your feed dogs.......I am thrilled with the results!!

Sandi

Quote Originally Posted by Anne
    now that looks good. I need to start learning FMQ, but I am such a chicken to try. Your machine did a wonderful job.
    Me,too, I have a jerky problem in my movements. :lol:

I also FMQ the way Leah Day explains. I have the Janome Horizon and I don't put the feed dogs down. I turn the stitch length to 0 and the results are fantastic!

Looks great and I am having the same experience! I have an old mechanical machine at my summer place and decided to try free motion on it this summer. I free motion on my newer machine but I can drop the feed dogs, on the mechanical you have to cover the feed dogs because you can't drop them (on mine the cover is called a darning plate). I bought a darning foot and I'm having awesome success with it. Gotta love those older machines!

You can drop the feed dogs or not, either works good....If you don't drop the feed dogs, you need to cover them up, leaving a hole for the needle....Just personal preference....In a answer to a few questions......

My machine is a regular machine with a larger bed....

Thanks for all your kind words....Not a pro here, just someone needing to learn to use her machine to quilt her tops...:) I have to give the credit to my machine, it makes it very easy and does a great job.......

I know there are many sites out there, but this one I posted the other day.....www.thefreemotionproject.com - Leah Day.....She tells you all about her technique (not dropping the feed dogs, lowering stitch to 0), plus she has videos, explaining, each of her free motion patterns...It's awesome....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast