Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jtapp9
    Glad you like it. i've heard rumors that you are the Queen of OBW so your opinion means a lot to me :wink:

My border will probably just be strips. I love red and that is why I chose this fabric to begin with. To me, when I turned the top "I" lost the red POP that I was feeling before...sooooo...I think I will put a skinny cream border, then a little bit wider red (to match) border, then finish to size with black. I have the coordinating black fabric with little gold 'twigs' on it that I'm going to use for binding and I have a black that has a very faint circle design in it that I feel would work awesome for the back. Although I've been thinking of switching the back to a khaki/tan color that would match the front.

I'm probably going to let it rest for a few days. I've worked a bunch on it lately and I need a rest from it :lol:

I'm ready to start cutting the floral fabric! Did you cut your strips WOF? I notice it has a staggered repeat on the WOF and didnt know if that would make a difference.

I think I'm going to give it another shot of starch tonight then cut some strips. I'm going to try one strip in the accuquilt cutter. I keep forgetting I am doing EIGHT layers and that may not come out good in the cutter. Might be too thick. We'll see.
    Don't know if I'm Queen of anything BTW - that's ol' big mouth Gaigai spreading THAT rumour! :lol:) Anyway I DO love these and have made a few and am happy to share what I've learned along the way. :-D

Re your borders - yup that's what I do - pick the colour I like best in the focus fabric and pull that out with the border. On Orchidacious I liked the dark purple in the original fabric and found the finished OBW sections a bit wishy washy so I used dark purple fro the border and I think it brought that out more in the background.

Yes I cut strips WOF - if you're not lucky enough to have a big mat, you can spilt it up the fold and treat each half separately. You lose one set per stack this way but it does save hassle. :-D And staggered repeat on the WOF is good - it reduces the number of duplicates. If it's a parallel repeat you have to look out for that - especially when doing octagons as you can't change the look of those by turning the triangles like you can with the hexes. I have no experience of Accuquilt so can't help you there but what I will say is if rotary cutting, get a new blade! I find 8 quite a bit heavier going than 6. :-D If the Accuquilt works that would be VERY interesting info indeed! :-D

The hex top is done! I have to admit though, once I turned it the direction it is supposed to be, I'm not really feeling it anymore :(

I've always pictured the upper left light wandering down to the lower right red. i'm left handed and I guess the left to right just "flows" better for me. I have to get used to this new look :?

Anyway, I'm still proud and happy that I finished it finally!! :thumbup:
    That is quite pretty. You used the same fabric as I used. Next one I make will not have anything as geometrical as the bamboo. This is the link to mine http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99523-1.htm
    I wasn't really happy with those hexagons that had mainly bamboo. So, I didn't use all the ones I had and used them near the bottom. Isn't it great to be finished?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Of course it is! I hadn't realised doh!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltykitty
    The hex top is done! I have to admit though, once I turned it the direction it is supposed to be, I'm not really feeling it anymore :(

I've always pictured the upper left light wandering down to the lower right red. i'm left handed and I guess the left to right just "flows" better for me. I have to get used to this new look :?

That is quite pretty. You used the same fabric as I used. Next one I make will not have anything as geometrical as the bamboo. This is the link to mine http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99523-1.htm
    I wasn't really happy with those hexagons that had mainly bamboo. So, I didn't use all the ones I had and used them near the bottom. Isn't it great to be finished?
    Oh My Freaking Gosh!!!! YOURS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I don't know how to do the cubes..i have the first book.

But see, yours has that upper left light color going down to the the red and darker colors to the bottom right. That's how mine was supposed to be but I got my rows mixed up and made it to "wide' to lay that way and had to turn it. Gosh I just really love that...your red POPS so nicely!

'nuff said....I'm jealous :mrgreen:

I bought that fabric at least 4 yrs ago, maybe 5! And the black and gold is what i'm using for my binding. Would have loved to do the back in it but its to expensive.

Agian, beautiful quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltykitty

Oh My Freaking Gosh!!!! YOURS IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I don't know how to do the cubes..i have the first book.

But see, yours has that upper left light color going down to the the red and darker colors to the bottom right. That's how mine was supposed to be but I got my rows mixed up and made it to "wide' to lay that way and had to turn it. Gosh I just really love that...your red POPS so nicely!

'nuff said....I'm jealous :mrgreen:

I bought that fabric at least 4 yrs ago, maybe 5! And the black and gold is what i'm using for my binding. Would have loved to do the back in it but its to expensive.

Agian, beautiful quilt!
    Well, you just have to get the book with the cube technique and try it. You could use some of your leftover hexagons, if any, and maybe some fabrics you already have. I like blenders or hand dyes for the cubes. Anyway, if you do it this way, you could make a wallhanging. There are some of the most stunning quilts in that book.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by omak
    I have to apologize for interfering on this thread.
    The very first post says that the book being referenced is
    One Block Wonder books by Maxine Rosenthal
    The above section was in the very first post of this thread, and I am so sorry that I posted some other threads that detracted from the stated purpose of this particular thread. If the administrator would remove my links comments, I would appreciate it, and again I apologize.
    It also was not my place to tell anyone where to get additional information ... I should have deferred to the author of this thread.
    Omak, you aren't interfering in anything! You are ALWAYS welcome, you should know that!! And why should anyone remove anything? Your information is as valid as anyone elses (and more than some
    :mrgreen: ).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Don't know if I'm Queen of anything BTW - that's ol' big mouth Gaigai spreading THAT rumour! :lol:) Anyway I DO love these and have made a few and am happy to share what I've learned along the way.
    Hey now, no need to be mean, I resemble that remark!! And you ARE!!!

I had two whole bolts of that fabric, but gave most if it away, and when I went to cut out my strips last night I discovered I didn't have enough from one source. Since the repeat was only 12 inches, I decided to cut 24 inch sections, but only had enough for 4 before moving to a different batch. And guess what, it is printed differently on the fabric!! I've tried to match it up, but I guess I'll have to cut the strips and hexs before I can tell if it works. Sigh.

That is ok by me but I have been corrected a few times too although it seems harmless to me.

How much fabric do you need? I know it depends on the size quilt you want, but are there some guidelines for maximizing one's options? Also, I love that no matter how you arrange and cut and sew all your blocks coordinate! Much
    easier than selecting all the fabrics separately. I'm in love with this pattern and plan to try one soon myself! Thanks.

Do it with us! We will help you!

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lilywags
    How much fabric do you need? I know it depends on the size quilt you want, but are there some guidelines for maximizing one's options? Also, I love that no matter how you arrange and cut and sew all your blocks coordinate! Much
    easier than selecting all the fabrics separately. I'm in love with this pattern and plan to try one soon myself! Thanks.
    Hi lilywags - great name BTW! ;) We're all working from one of the books in the One Block Wonder series by Maxine Rosenthal. See my first post on this thread for the details. You really need to get one of those then your fabric then jump right in and have fun! :-D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    I had two whole bolts of that fabric, but gave most if it away, and when I went to cut out my strips last night I discovered I didn't have enough from one source. Since the repeat was only 12 inches, I decided to cut 24 inch sections, but only had enough for 4 before moving to a different batch. And guess what, it is printed differently on the fabric!! I've tried to match it up, but I guess I'll have to cut the strips and hexs before I can tell if it works. Sigh.
    Oh no! That is so not fair! Stamping foot! Can't you subcut your 24" sections to 12" ones which gives you your 6 and 2 spare then use the other bolt separately in the border? I'm so sorry what a piggy thing to happen! And it DOES illustrate the point that when the TRUE OBW queen (Maxine Rosenthal! :mrgreen: ) says 'don't use fabric from more than one bolt' she does know what she's talking about! I want to now say quite a rude word on your behalf so I'll go and do that off screen... :evil:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Oh no! That is so not fair! Stamping foot! Can't you subcut your 24" sections to 12" ones which gives you your 6 and 2 spare then use the other bolt separately in the border? I'm so sorry what a piggy thing to happen! And it DOES illustrate the point that when the TRUE OBW queen (Maxine Rosenthal! :mrgreen: ) says 'don't use fabric from more than one bolt' she does know what she's talking about! I want to now say quite a rude word on your behalf so I'll go and do that off screen... :evil:
    Well, I suppose I could have, but I already cut my strips, and they didn't match up. So I cut them down into scrap strips.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Well, I suppose I could have, but I already cut my strips, and they didn't match up. So I cut them down into scrap strips.
    I am SO sorry! :-( :-( :-(

Oh Bummer...I have some extra fabric but like you said it may not match...;(

Ok me and friend cut our strips out today and realized I didnt have a 90 degree ruler...we tried the markings with the regular quilt rulers and decided it was too confusing and I know I would mess up when hurrying like I do. Her name is dorothy and hers is going to be so cool! I still am not sure how the blocks go together to make the rows...I thought I understood and when I started to show Dorothy and it wasnt working like I thought it would. I gave her the book to read and so i will reread that part but I think they could have done better job explaining...maybe better pictures than they did because I caught on to the rest really easily. Does anyone have pictures of how the rows get sewn together?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Hi Daisey - you're right, she isn't very explicit about the row joining part. I'm about to do my last few rows so I'll post some pics later showing my way - it's what I've found works best for me, I don't think there's a 'right' way but it will at least give you a jumping off point...

thanks, i am waiting on my 60 degree ruler and then I can play too.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daisey
    thanks, i am waiting on my 60 degree ruler and then I can play too.
    I agree it's a bit confusing flipping the 60 deg line on the regular ruler... I got the Clearview fairly early on too! I asked my DH if he'd take some pics of me pinning and joining the rows and he suggested a video so that's what we've done! Just compressing and uploading it now so watch this space for the link... BTW, excuse me sniffing and my straggly hair but I've got a cold... :mrgreen: :lol:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Here's the link to me on You Tube joining rows. :-D :-D :-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUnPD...=youtube_gdata

Blog Entries
    Awesome video!Hope your cold is getting better. I think daisey is not understanding how to make the rows, though. Setting the blocks together can be a bit confusing :).

I didn't get any cutting done over the weekend. I had a sewing marathon finishing the kaleidoscope blocks for a nieces quilt. I got all her blocks done now i just need to set them together and do borders.

I've changed my plans for this Otogon flower quilt :). I was going to focus on orange and purple for a brother of mine, but I have a baby sister that needs a quilt first. Her favorite color is green so I've decided to focus on the teal and make this quilt for her. I think i'm going to hit up Walmart and get some more of the fabric so i can make most of the top out of the Octo's. Then a skinny teal border and maybe a skinny border of the original fabric.

Are then any online instructions on doing the cubes? I really don't wnat to buy another book just for the cubes but I think I would love to add that to this quilt for her. It does give the quilt such nice dimensions.

Hoping to start cutting tonight, maybe.

A video! Good idea and lots of fun to have in our repetoire of resources. Thank you!

Thanks so much for the video that will help when I se wthem together but it is how to set the blocks up to sew them into the rows that is confusing...It looks like one 1/2 of one block top gets sewn to another blocks 1/2 bottom is that correct? When I get the book I will read again and after triangle are cut I guess I will just play with them to figure it out...Thanks again for making that great video for us!

Great tute/video! Hope your cold/allergies? don't slow you down too much. Thanks again. Loved seeing you.

very pretty!

Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast