Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

OK all you others using this fabric, where are your pictures?

I really want to try one of these patterns . . . . . someday!

Has anyone fount this fabric anywhere? I went to Joann's Monday in Tallahassee and they don't have it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rann
    Has anyone fount this fabric anywhere? I went to Joann's Monday in Tallahassee and they don't have it.
    If you have a WalMart with fabric, try there. It is a $4.44 fabric.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    OK all you others using this fabric, where are your pictures?
    I just cut out my octagons yesterday. Will start sewing in the next couple of days :)

k3n
    Blog Entries
    My applique is part fused on part pinned - will show when done!

Found fabric in my wal-mart.......Ready ,sit,sew.......

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary O
    Found fabric in my wal-mart.......Ready ,sit,sew.......
    Hoorah! Any pics yet? :mrgreen: :lol:

I have been trying to figure out how to connect them. I made all the blocks, I saw a video and it looked like she was sewing the other half of the blocks as she goes? I sewed the three together to make the half then connected the two halfs together. Are you suposed to make half rows and add on as you go? Any tips would be much appreciated. I am stuck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cozycrafter
    I have been trying to figure out how to connect them. I made all the blocks, I saw a video and it looked like she was sewing the other half of the blocks as she goes? I sewed the three together to make the half then connected the two halfs together. Are you suposed to make half rows and add on as you go? Any tips would be much appreciated. I am stuck.
    You do NOT sew the 2 halves together as you go. You pin them together in order to not lose track of what goes with what. You need to make all your half blocks and pin the halves as you go. Then put them on the design board (or lay then out somewhere that you can leave them) in the pattern that you like.

What will happen is a half from above will be sewn to the half below it by a single triangle side. you keep going down the row like that and you will end up with a row of halves. Sew the next row of halves together by the ends. Then the rows will sew together matching up the halves again.

If you don't have the book, it certainly would make a difference!

Here is a link to Cutebuns tutorial on OBW.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-92503-1.htm

And here is mine on the design wall.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99523-1.htm
    If you enlarge the pic you can see the rows more clearly. I'm a visual person so it helps to see an example. Just remember, you are only working with half a hexagon in a row.

I just plowed ahead and sewed most of my floral hexagons together, THEN read the tutorial and found out about the half bit. So, my blocks sat for several weeks and finally I ripped them apart during one of those weeks I was iced/snowed inside. Now my rows are all sewn together and waiting for the borders. Another lesson learned. Heh, heh, heh.

Hope this helps.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltykitty
    Here is a link to Cutebuns tutorial on OBW.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-92503-1.htm

And here is mine on the design wall.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99523-1.htm
    If you enlarge the pic you can see the rows more clearly. I'm a visual person so it helps to see an example. Just remember, you are only working with half a hexagon in a row.

I just plowed ahead and sewed most of my floral hexagons together, THEN read the tutorial and found out about the half bit. So, my blocks sat for several weeks and finally I ripped them apart during one of those weeks I was iced/snowed inside. Now my rows are all sewn together and waiting for the borders. Another lesson learned. Heh, heh, heh.

Hope this helps.
    Linda

Someone else is also using our fabric for a OBW! I'm still just so amazed at this considering I bought mine several years ago....lol

k3n
    Blog Entries
    We are working from the book by Maxine Rosenthal - One Block Wonders. YOu can't make this without it. If the video you refer to is mine posted here, it is only intended to be a guide in sewing the rows together and pressing seams open. It is ny no means intended to be a full 'tute' - you need the book. :-D

Thanks, I think I will start over. I live in WV and would love to find the floral master fabric, I am looking for it. I will be watching all of you who know what you are doing. Can't wait to see how they are coming along.

Thank you, I am learning some of this the hard way. I will not give up. So I think I will start over.

Thank you, I am learning some of this the hard way. I will not give up. So I think I will start over.
    LOL. That's the way I learned. Then I bought the book. And you can tell I've really used it. Once you get the hang of it, the rest is easy and you will be able to make the next ones without using the book.

OK I ordered the book from Amazon. Looking forward to all this. Thanks

k3n
    Blog Entries
    OK I ordered the book from Amazon. Looking forward to all this. Thanks
    Excellent! Another victim!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    The beginnings of my octogons :)

I have several projects going so I'm only doing one ramdomly while doing others. Makes life more interesting to work on several at a time and switch up all the time. Occasionally I'll sit and work on the same thing for hours!
    Attached Images Attached Images

JTapp....just flew through this post and looked at all your pics from your last OBW and found it very interesting. It is a very busy quilt and I personally love it!!! Just looking at your latest hexagons and those too are going to be just lovely!!!
    And I am crazy about OBW's so there is NO bad one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Julie, your half hexs are just pinned together, not sewn together yet, right? I can't tell from the picture. But the need to be in halves to assemble the OBW. They look great BTW

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Julie, your half hexs are just pinned together, not sewn together yet, right? I can't tell from the picture. But the need to be in halves to assemble the OBW. They look great BTW
    My floral masters are sewn, BUT they are NOT hexs. They are octogons so they are supposed to be sewn together. I understand that if I were doing hexs they would only be half hexs :). That's what my first OBW was (hexs).

Can't wait to see more pictures of others work! and some of that applique you are working on k3n.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Julie those octos look gorgeous! They're much more spinny than the hexes if you know what I mean!

OK Gai has already had a sneaky peek at the applique and it won't be attached fully til the thing is quilted so I guess I'll give a sneak peek here too. The butterfly is appliqued to fusible batting and interfacing and is just pinned on at the moment. I'll sew it on by hand after it's quilted. The caterpillar is getting embroidered antennae, beady eyes, seed bead legs and little black beady feet - but again, when it's quilted. He's going to be gazing wistfully up at the butterfly, wishing he were that lovely! :mrgreen: I'm calling it 'Metamorphosis' :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

All of your OBW's are so pretty!! I've wanted to do one for a long time, but I'm intimidated by it. It just looks so hard.
    Love all your quilts!!

They are so pretty, I hope my book comes today,so I can play too.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17 18 ... LastLast