Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: A group OBW with the Floral Master Fabric

QM
    Stunning!! I wasn't nearly as impressed with the fabric as with the results. Good for each of you. I have a OBW on my to do list, just haven't gotten there yet.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by isnthatodd
    I am going to go to Hancock's and Joann's if necessary to find it (have printed off a picture just to make sure I get the right one), but how much do I need to get? I know it depends on the size of the finished quilt, so what do I need for a double? If I can find the fabric I will join in when I finish the Dances with Waves Project Linus quilts and an outfit for my granddaughter.
    The amount of fabric depends on the pattern repeat - this has a 12" repeat and you need 6 so that is 2 yards of fabric. But this will only come up at approximately 42" square for the centre. Obviously you can enlarge this with borders. What you could do is layer up double repeats. This would give you twice as many blocks to play with. Then you'd need 4 yards. I always get a yard extra for borders or just in case I make a boo boo! I've even made a matching tote in the past from the original fabric - if the quilt is a gift, it's a nice way to present it. So I'd say get 5 yards.

I would also strongly recommend that you get one of the books if you haven't already. If you follow the link in my opening post, you'll find all the details. :-D

Really hope you can get some of this elusive fabric and join in! :D :D :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by Rann
    ONe question. If I want to do one, how much fabric do I need to start/do it?
    I think k3n said the repeat is 12 inches, so 2.5 yards will do it. When I saw this fabric, I just knew it would be great for an OBW, but I don't think k3n was that enthused with the fabric at first, LOL! I'll stop by two different Joanns in the morning when I get off work and see if they have any more. I got the fabric around September or October, I think. And I'll join in the OBW group as soon as I finish the Blooming 9 Patch I'm working on right now.
    Absolutely right. See my post above if you want to make it bigger! And I was SO enthused!!! I was just so carried away by all the leaf that you sent me and the fish which I THOUGHT you'd sent me! :mrgreen: So there! :mrgreen:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ljorange
    I'm planning to go to Joanne's tomorrow, hope I can find some of the fabric. Great idea to do it together, will be fun to see the different ways to put them together. I doubt I could keep up though, I'm slow!
    Hey hope you can join in! We're all working at our own speeds and there's NO deadline to finish! :D

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing
    what size finished quilt will this make and how many yards did you begin with?
    I'm getting three strip sets of 3 3/4" wide across the WOF, yielding 19 hexes per set. So 57 hexes total. If you lay them out 7 x 7 (leaving a few halves for the edges) that will finish at about 42" square. Then borders can go as big as you like. :-D But I never know what size or shape mine will end up until I start working with the layout. :D

Blog Entries
    Would love to join in, but looks like a few days till I can get to Joanns.Had snow yest & it's gonna be a dicey wk end. The fabric isn't available on line.Your blocks are sooo pretty. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    It turns out that a few of us on the Board have got this fabric to make a One Block Wonder quilt so we thought it would be fun to post our progress all together on one thread! The fabric is called Floral Master and is by Springs Creative Products. Gaigai sent me mine but I think it's from JoAnns if anyone else feels like getting some and joining in. Correct me if I'm wrong someone!

Anyway, for those who don't know, a One Block Wonder or OBW is a kind of kaleidcoscope quilt similar to stack n whack. There is a Topic List here on the board and a brief description about them with details of the books here http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual_section_list.jsp

I think we'll all be using the technique from the One Block Wonder books by Maxine Rosenthal. See my link above for more info.

So far it's me, imjustme and NUTMEG10 who are taking part plus nena in a couple of weeks. I know another lady has the fabric and I'm waiting to hear from her. Meanwhile, here's a pic of the fabric and my first blocks. Looking forward to seeing pics here on this thread from the other ppl with this fabric. It will be interesting to see the differences as we go along! :-D

This is great :thumbup: . I can't wait to see how they all turn out :-D

Blog Entries
    Oh my, they are lovely!!

Ooooh Yummm, I love those colors! This will be fun to follow along your progress.

Blog Entries
    How much fabric does this one take?

k3n
    Blog Entries
    [quote=k3n The amount of fabric depends on the pattern repeat - this has a 12" repeat and you need 6 so that is 2 yards of fabric. But this will only come up at approximately 42" square for the centre. Obviously you can enlarge this with borders. What you could do is layer up double repeats. This would give you twice as many blocks to play with. Then you'd need 4 yards. I always get a yard extra for borders or just in case I make a boo boo! I've even made a matching tote in the past from the original fabric - if the quilt is a gift, it's a nice way to present it. So I'd say get 5 yards.

I would also strongly recommend that you get one of the books if you haven't already. If you follow the link in my opening post, you'll find all the details. :-D

Really hope you can get some of this elusive fabric and join in! :D :D :D[/quote]

Ok.. My trip got delayed until monday ,so I got out some old fabric and tried to practice on the obw we are donig. This is what I came up with. Is it anything near what I am suppose to be doing. lol
    Everybodys are so pretty can't wait to start mine.
    Your center points come together so nice. Mine are wonky.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

k3n
    Blog Entries
    They look fine nena, good idea to practice first! Have you sewed the two halves together though? it's hard to tell from your pic. You have to just pin them together in halves at this stage so you can sew them in strips later - with NO Y seams. Also press the seams open. But I don't think your points are wonky at all! :-D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    They look fine nena, good idea to practice first! Have you sewed the two halves together though? it's hard to tell from your pic. You have to just pin them together in halves at this stage so you can sew them in strips later - with NO Y seams. Also press the seams open. But I don't think your points are wonky at all! :-D
    These blocks are very forgiving of wonky. You end up not seeing the exact joins. But just a reminder: You don't sew the halves together to assemble the top. The top is assembled with rows of HALVES, and then you join the rows to make the whole hex. If you tried to sew the whole hexagons together, you would be doing a whole lot of (shudder, shudder) set-in-seams.

Yes, they are sewn together . I cut out 6 triangles (from my strips laid together) and laid them on a paper plate the way I wanted them to look and sewed 3 triangles together then the other three then took the two halfs and sewed them together. Guess I will have to do the y seam on them. I will get a book while I am in Fl., so when I get home I will know what I am doing. lol
    Oh well passed some time away after getting side tracked from trip.
    Thanks for your help.

gaigai, Ok this will probably be a ufo for awhile.. lol
    I will stop for now and wait until I get back and know what I am doing. At least I get the general idea.
    By the time I am back home everyone will have theirs finished. Good luck... can't wait to see how everyones turn out.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nena
    gaigai, Ok this will probably be a ufo for awhile.. lol
    I will stop for now and wait until I get back and know what I am doing. At least I get the general idea.
    By the time I am back home everyone will have theirs finished. Good luck... can't wait to see how everyones turn out.
    Don't worry nena, that's what practice is for! Hope you have agood trip, we'll still be here when you get back! :-D

Blog Entries
    I e mailed the company about their fabric. The clerk said it's in stock, but they do not sell to the public.A fabric store or Walmart would have to order from them. Sorry they didn't have a way to help those looking for the fabric.

I have this fabric. It came from hancock's. I bought it for OBW, just haven't had time to start. Can't wait now it's so pretty.

Blog Entries
    That fabric is making some awesome OBW blocks!!! I am loving watching this...the fun is in the differences!

You certainly have a WOW factor of about 9.5 there.

I went to my local Hancock's and Joann's. Clerks in both stores remember seeing it, but don't have it any more :cry: I may try a larger Joann's tomorrow if I have time. I sure hope I can find some, because I really, really like the print!!!

Blog Entries
    Ooooo this fabric is luscious!! I love these blocks!! Can't wait to see these quilts progress :D:D:D

Alas, I couldn't find the fabric at Joanne's today but I will enjoy watching the progress of all of you.

When I got mine at Joanne's last week it was all they had left. I don't know if they have had it for awhile, or it just went fast.
    I am leaving for Fl monday and I will see if I can find any. If i do i'll get 3 yards and some one can buy it if they want. I paid 6.99 a yard for mine.

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast