Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Handkerchief Rag Quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Very pretty! It looks like you top stitched the hankies to a flannel square that you fringed?
    Tartan, I did stitch the hankies to white flannel.....the white flannel I used in place of batting.....making a sandwich of hankies stitched to white flannel & then stitched to pink polka dot flannel for the backing.....when making a rag quilt ...you sandwich all your pieces....& then sew all the squares together & then the rows together to complete the quilt!

Yobrosew ....I will post a tutorial in a few days.....I am down for the count right now with a busted right ankle, busted left big toe & torn up left knee.....took a fall.....don't have the measurements in my head.....once on my feet again I will take measurements & post! At least this way I am back making yo-yos again for a yoyo quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by maggie_1936 View Post
    please do a tut on your creation
    Will do soon....I am down for the count with a busted right ankle, busted left big toe. & torn up left knee! I want to make sure I get correct measurements to post!

Quote Originally Posted by maggie_1936 View Post
    please do a tut on your creation
    Will do so soon.....down for the count with busted right ankle, busted left big toe, & torn up left knee! Want to make sure I get the correct measurements!

Quote Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
    This is really pretty! I wish hankies were easier to find. When I do find them they are expensive.
    The gal I made this for bought the hankies on E-bay.....I think about 25 for $25.00......we had been collecting them from flea markets...but was getting expensive, some were too thin, some were stained....these bought on EBay were new....I washed & ironed them before beginning to put all together!

What a beautiful quilt with a cottage-like look and feel. I, too, have collected hankies for quilting but have yet to decide what to do with them and this quilt is quite inspiring. I absolutely love the hankie envelope label and the fact that it can be buttoned closed. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Love that idea.

Very pretty, I have some handerchiefs of my MIL that I want to make some thing with, I like your idea.
    Jeanie

this is what I have been waiting for. I have been purchasing hankies and different sizes.. thanks for explaining how you did it awesome.. will be making, is there more definite directions I have not done a rag quilt...
    Thanks for sharing.

ouch!! What a fall.. get well soon. thanks for your upcoming tute!! love it.

That is just so sweet.....and what a GREAT idea....there are going to be a lot of people copying this !!!!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

I like the suggestion about looking on ebay for hankies, no great deals today though. What size is your quilt? I see you used 30 handkerchiefs.
    :-)
    CAS

That is so pretty!

Wow, what a great idea. Thanks for sharing photos and your method!

A catalogue called Starcrest of California has hankies 12 for $5.00. I also have been collecting hankies for years from estate sales. This is a great idea for them. I still use some from my mother whom passed away in 1999. This is a picture from their catalogue. the order number /stock # is 24-26323-8. Beautiful quilt by the way.
    Children leave footprints on your heart that last a liftime.

Power Poster
    Very pretty quilt. Like how it turned out.

Well, there is a listing on ebay if anyone interested. Type in search bar: (don't know if can put link)
    Lot of 25 Ladies Floral Handkerchiefs Imperfect Cotton Hankies Vintage Inspired

http://zeedlebeezmom.blogspot.com/20...-of-hanky.html

Looks like this quilter has done quite a few of rag hankie quilts and shares more with us.

Blog Entries
    My grand mother used to have hankies like these all over her home! I ended up with a sack full of doilies! Great idea for them too! I love yours

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3