Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Happy 4th everyone! and pictures of one of my projects in progress >

Happy 4th everyone! and pictures of one of my projects in progress

Happy 4th everyone! and pictures of one of my projects in progress

Old 07-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

Here is one of my projects I am working on for a back order. My version of the bear's paw done with the cut down method

The one on the top right is the pieced top done. It is 4 1/2" square. The one on the top left is the paws done of course and I use swatches for the sashing. Just haven't figured out what I want for the last sash and the center yet. The last one is a paw in progress. I use 1" hst's and swatches for the palm part and the light in the corner. I use to get so frustrated because when I cut to size before I put them together sometimes the paws would not be the same size and it was impossible to sew them straight across from each other. So I figured out if I wait and trim them then they will be the same size every time. So that is how I do it now.

The smallest Bear's Paw I have ever done I think is 2 - 2 1/2" square unfinished. I cut the 1" to 1/2" before and use a 1/8" seam--this was done by hand not! on the machine. I like to challenge myself sometimes. I get bored what can I say!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-18669.jpe   attachment-18674.jpe   attachment-18676.jpe  
Old 07-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

One more Sorry this one should have been first
Attached Thumbnails attachment-18677.jpe  
Old 07-04-2009, 09:09 AM

Rhonda, this is so pretty!! :D
I am making a few tiny little
blocks from your pattern. If I
get them done, I might make
a mini quilt!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Old 07-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I love that you posted the process of the block! It makes me believe in possibilities!
I really like this block, and there was a time, I didn't care for the bear tracks, but I have changed my perspective on a lot of quilty things!
nice job...actually, since it was hand done - awesome job, Rhonda :D
Old 07-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SulaBug
Rhonda, this is so pretty!! :D
I am making a few tiny little
blocks from your pattern. If I
get them done, I might make
a mini quilt!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D
Happy to hear it Sulabug hope you show pictures! How is it going to use the small template? Hope you are having fun with it. It can be frustrating some times I know.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
I love that you posted the process of the block! It makes me believe in possibilities!
I really like this block, and there was a time, I didn't care for the bear tracks, but I have changed my perspective on a lot of quilty things!
nice job...actually, since it was hand done - awesome job, Rhonda :D
Sorry QC the hand done was the 2" bear's paw a few years ago. Don't have time for much hand work anymore. I used to make jewelry out of them but it never was popular so didn't do alot of it. I made earrings and pins and such.

Hmmmm maybe the "broach" would make a good tutorial --- probably too small for most tho.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:25 AM

Great job Rhonda!!

Kyia
Old 07-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Loretta
Rhonda, you are amazing!!!! I cannot get a bear Paw to look decent in a 12 inch square- how you manage it this small amazes me! Beautiful!!
The important part is to pay attention to accuracy. It's like putting tile down on a floor. If you have one off even a fraction of an inch then when you get to the other side your error is magnified. That is why I like the cut down so much. You can control the size of each paw so much better.

I have thought about doing this as a tutorial. You can use the technique for any size quilt block. Most of my stuff is adjustable to any size. You don't have to do miniatures to do what I do unless you are making a small project.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

WOW! pretty.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Thank you Lorretta. It is because of my perfectionist mother! This trait of hers to perfection only shows it's head in my work not my housework!LOL

It is mostly just 15 years of practice with miniatures and challenging myself to see what I can do. I'm so easily bored!! Also it is partly because I have been selling several hundreds hotpads to the local gift store over the last 11 years and several hundred bookmarks plus lesser amounts of the other stuff i sell her. It is lots and lots of practice til I am so sick of making hotpads! I always use the 1 1/2" template in a 6 across by 6 down pattern for my hotpads. and 6 or 8 across x 4 down for the checkbook covers eyeglass cases etc. So it becomes almost routine. When I decide to do something new then it takes me longer to decide how I want to do it so I have to take time to design.
That is the reason I developed these shortcuts so I could get more done in a shorter time. Typically I try to take up an order to Kalona every two or three weeks. That is usually 12 hotpads 3 or 4 eyeglass cases or check book covers and 6-18 bookmarks depending on what she is out of. I also do 3" squares that are 4 blocks across by 4 blocks down (1" blocks) and billfolds --mini quilts 5" x 8" and totes and coin purses. It just depends on what needs replaced. And whether I can keep up! Sometimes her shelves are bare if I have had too many other things to do.