Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever seen a casket lined with a quilt?

My FIL just passed and while making arrangements I saw this ....I really like it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gosh I have that same quilt!! It is a purchased one from a long time ago and I still use it everyday!! Pretty neat idea.

that is so pretty

Pretty how much does it cost?

That's interesting. I was thinking of that when there was a discussion of Coffin Quilts. I thought it meant a long, slim quilt for a coffin and I wondered if anyone was doing that.

Might be morbid but some people might really appreciate it. Could always make up a few and take them to funeral homes.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
    That's interesting. I was thinking of that when there was a discussion of Coffin Quilts. I thought it meant a long, slim quilt for a coffin and I wondered if anyone was doing that.

Might be morbid but some people might really appreciate it. Could always make up a few and take them to funeral homes.
    :thumbup: What a wonderful idea.

Blog Entries
    So beautiful. I worked at a funeral home/flower shop/ for many years and you leave every day counting your blessings.

I'd prefer that over satin!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I made a very small quilt to put in the hands of a loved one when she died and I made a quilt to wrap our cat in when she died. They gave me peace to make. I have never seen a full casket lined with a quilt before, but it sure is beautiful!

That is so beautiful. I bet a lot of people wish at some time they would have thought of it. Thank you for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburgpam

great idea.......I have told my family instead of flowers I want all who have gotten one of my quilts to bring them to drape over the stands they have for flowers. before they leave for funeral they should make sure they take them back. morbid...maybe but it would be fitting tribute.

Power Poster
    Interesting!

Power Poster
    {quote}great idea.......I have told my family instead of flowers I want all who have gotten one of my quilts to bring them to drape over the stands they have for flowers. before they leave for funeral they should make sure they take them back. morbid...maybe but it would be fitting tribute.[/quote]

This is a great idea!

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    when we were on our little farm, our elderly neighbor, of whom I was so very fond, went into a nursing home. I made her a quilt from 30's reproduction fabric in flannels with a warm cotton batting. Well, she just loved it. Turns out she just couldn't get warm in that place, and so she kept it wrapped around her legs. Within a month, she passed away. When we went to the wake, her daughters told me that the quilt was wrapped around her to 'keep her warm,' and they opened the bottom half of the coffin to show me! (this was something new for me to experience.) She was buried with it. It was an odd feeling, but I find myself thinking of her with that little quilt. I ran across some of its scraps today...

anyway - kind of off subject, but to see this post after coming across those scraps... just had to respond.

We buried one of my friends covered in a quilt. For the service it was drapped over the casket and then we covered her with it before closing the casket. Very comforting.

Blog Entries
    My neighbor's Mom was a prolific quilter. All pieced and quilted by hand. When she passed away they wrapped her in her most recent WIP. It was a gorgeous double wedding ring in yellows. Very appropriate, I thought.

I have been to two different funerals where quilts and/or quilt tops the deceased had made were draped on stands in the FH. I like the idea of that one lining the casket.

Blog Entries
    we have a 93/old guild member that is really bad health wise...a couple of members made her an overlay with a quilted angel on it...her request BTW...this woman made a quilt/month and did alot of show/tell...she will be missed

Blog Entries
    I think that is wonderful, quilts mean a lot to people in nursing homes. Just lost my Dad in 09 and he always had me cover him when I was there. I miss him so.
    Quote Originally Posted by sewTinker
    when we were on our little farm, our elderly neighbor, of whom I was so very fond, went into a nursing home. I made her a quilt from 30's reproduction fabric in flannels with a warm cotton batting. Well, she just loved it. Turns out she just couldn't get warm in that place, and so she kept it wrapped around her legs. Within a month, she passed away. When we went to the wake, her daughters told me that the quilt was wrapped around her to 'keep her warm,' and they opened the bottom half of the coffin to show me! (this was something new for me to experience.) She was buried with it. It was an odd feeling, but I find myself thinking of her with that little quilt. I ran across some of its scraps today...

anyway - kind of off subject, but to see this post after coming across those scraps... just had to respond.

In a quilting class, the talk about what would happen to your stash and quilts when you die. Some said they would probably end up in a garage sale, up in the attic, etc. One lady said she left instructions for her quilts to be buried with her because she didn't know anyone worthy enough of all the time she spent making them.

I think maybe I will ask that they raffle mine off to pay for my funeral!LOL

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    In a quilting class, the talk about what would happen to your stash and quilts when you die. Some said they would probably end up in a garage sale, up in the attic, etc. One lady said she left instructions for her quilts to be buried with her because she didn't know anyone worthy enough of all the time she spent making them.
    I've wondered about that too. I would like to tell my children to have someone finish the WIPS for them since none of them sew. My 10 year old grandduaghter is making a quilt so the fabric can go to her.

When my grandmother passed away in 1995 we had a quilt that was made to fit her casket. My family is Chinese and it is common for a silk casket quilt be made to be buried with your loved one.

Blog Entries
    It really is a eternal Hug, don't you think??well I probably didn't spell that correctly. Keeping them warm forever, you know ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamaskeeto
    When my grandmother passed away in 1995 we had a quilt that was made to fit her casket. My family is Chinese and it is common for a silk casket quilt be made to be buried with your loved one.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast