Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Have you tried to make a Soup Bowl Cozy? >

Have you tried to make a Soup Bowl Cozy?

Have you tried to make a Soup Bowl Cozy?

Old 01-03-2022, 01:44 AM

Smile Have you tried to make a Soup Bowl Cozy?

I was gifted a soup bowl cozy many years ago. We simply put the bowl in the cozy and then fill the bowl with hot soup. It allows my husband to carry the soup to the den to watch football. ) I have read that you can use them in the microwave to reheat food, if you use all 100% cotton in the assembly. I used the pattern below to make my soup bowl cozy. There are many tutorials and videos online but I chose the pattern below:

https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/bags-...l-cozy-pattern

The cozy is reversible. Please show me your cozy if you have made one, here is mine. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails img_4164.jpg   img_4162%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 01-03-2022, 03:35 AM

No pictures but mine look like yours (different fabric of course). Like you, I choose not to put the cozy into the microwave but use it as a shaped hot pad. I did a kitchen project for a friend at Christmas and had only enough to make the 9" square instead of the 10" that I usually use. While it seemed a bit skimpy compared to what I usually use, the bowl fits nicely with no extra on the sides.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:19 AM

I have always wanted to make one but haven’t put my right foot forward. Thank you for the pattern…I like the look of yours and yours fabrics are very pretty. Great job!
Old 01-03-2022, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Cute cozy! I have made a couple but I don’t microwave them. I use them to put the bowl in after microwaving or for insulating a bowl of ice cream.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

That's really cute, copycat.
I've never made any. I should maybe.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:51 AM

I have meant to make some and even have the pattern, tutorial and bamboo batting. Just never got to it. Even though they are 'supposed' to be microwaveable, my niece's caught on fire in the microwave. She knew it was 100% cotton but figured maybe food or grease had dripped onto it. But I like the idea of carrying my soup bowl without oven mitts.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:21 AM

I love bowl cozies! I've used orphan blocks and printed fabric from Spoonflower.
Attached Thumbnails art-cozie2.jpg   cozies-blue3.jpg  
Old 01-03-2022, 06:22 AM

Several years ago i made them for all my coworkers. They appreciated them. One is still using hers at office when she has soup. She also heats soup and uses it to carry
Old 01-03-2022, 06:41 AM
Dkm

This is just a suggestion for all. In the bottom of the cozy cut a circle( of cardboard or something) to use as a pattern. Make the circle fit about 1/2 inch from the sides. Center it in the bowl and sew around. I also made another round inside of it using the first line as a guide. This helps the bowl to have stability and when washed hold the shape.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:42 AM

I've been told even using all cotton batting in the cozy, it could catch a fire as they may not have used all cotton thread. I just don't take a chance with it catching fire and will transfer the bowl on to the cozy after it's out of the microwave. Rather be safe than sorry. My house is 122 yrs old so I tell my neighbors if my house ever catches fire........bring out the marshmellows and weinies cause I'm sure the fire dept won't get there in time to save it. We live in a small town so our fire dept is mostly volunteers.