Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help! Just inherited 325 pieced units!

I was visiting family for my 30th birthday and my grandmother gave me these 325 units/stars that my great-great grandmother pieced in the 1950's. What a treasure! I need some help, though, before I can put them together into a quilt. Does anyone know:

1) What period the fabrics date to? My grandmother thought perhaps the 30's/40's.

2) What pattern she might have been striving for? I've included an example of how I think they might go together - will have to add diamonds in between. But what is the name of the pattern?

3) What kind of fabric should I look for to complete the quilt top? Do I need to go vintage or would a new fabric in off-white work?

Thanks in advance for your advice/thoughts!

Treasure trove of pieced star units.
    Name:  Attachment-38091.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  65.3 KB

Possible pattern?
    Name:  Attachment-38134.jpe
Views: 46
Size:  45.8 KB

Power Poster
    My first thought was muslin - or black - it would show off the prints.

Muslin would be in keeping with the time frame.
    It looks like the stars need to be on point.
    I think your inheritance is grand. How big are these stars from point to point?
    Isn't there a quilt site called "victorian ... something?"
    I will go looking to see what I can find.
    Kalaidescope ... we tend to think of that as a strip piece, but, I am sure it started out as a solid fabric/diamonds.

Not kalaidescope ... I'm going back in! Quilter's Cache

omak - The stars are roughly 6" point-to-point. The units fit into a 4.25" square. I do see the pattern a little better since you suggested putting them on point. Thanks! :)

Blog Entries
    I found this in EQ it was in the section called Priscilla blocks

Attached Images Attached Images

Amma - thanks! That's a very close match. I'm thinking I'm going to have to inset all the diamonds by hand or practice my Y-seams on the machine. *faint*

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rosemary128
    Amma - thanks! That's a very close match. I'm thinking I'm going to have to inset all the diamonds by hand or practice my Y-seams on the machine. *faint*

The last block I sewed with Y seams I did all but the last 1/2 on each side by machine, then I sewed the middle by hand, it was that or sew the whole thing by hand. :shock: I can't wait to see your quilt!!!! :D :D :D

That is gonna make some quilt! How precious to have gotten those.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rosemary128
    another option would be to pick out a few stitches, sew in the side pieces(the two toned blue ones) they could be the same color, and then sew them back up...does that make sense?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What a great inheritance, and a lovely remembrance of Grandma. Good luck with the finishing and let us see the finished work!

That is a pattern I know as Jobs Tears.. I've made several blocks like that myself, and I've used something similar to muslin for the background.. mine make up into a 6" block. They look like this.... http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...llery_ss2.html although mine set into a square.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippy
    That is a pattern I know as Jobs Tears.. I've made several blocks like that myself, and I've used something similar to muslin for the background.. mine make up into a 6" block. They look like this.... http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/techni...llery_ss2.html although mine set into a square.
    I like this Job's Tears version, it is a bit different, and has a softer effect.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    What a wonderful thing to have! If it was mine, I'd hand piece them into squares on point then hand quilt - just to be authentic. It would be a real labour of love I know, but worth it! For the seams, you COULD make templates from paper and baste them on to EPP them but that would be a TON of work! If you pieced them like your photo you could make diamond paper templates for in between - I find this is the ONLY way I can get good points when they're this acute. BUT I do like the look of them on point.

Blog Entries
    Oh my! This took my breath away. What a wonderful inheritance. I'm so glad they found a home with someone who truly appreciates them.

You are one lucky lady to have something that your great-great- grandmother made. It is going to be so nice!

What an inheritance!! They're beautiful, I can't help with the time period though. I can't wait to see it done, I think I would use muslin.

Blog Entries
    Oh wow, how lucky is that???? To have something like that actually from someone in your family, now that is really special. I think I would try to go as vintage as possible. Whatever, at least you are saving them...I can't wait to see what you do. :-)

How beautiful! And how lucky you are!! Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

What a treasure you've inherited! Be sure and share a picture when you finish it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    My first thought was muslin - or black - it would show off the prints.
    I was thinking muslin also to keep to the fabric age. Wasn't bubble gum pink popular in the 40's?

I have a sheet with the 6" block for Jobs Tears drawn on it if you want a copy. I have seen the other setting called Jobs Troubles. The "corners" go in really easily by hand... anyway if you want a copy of my pattern, let me know. I'd be happy to send it to you.

What a treasure!

I think I would use white muslin in keeping with the
    vintage fabric. As for "construction", I'll leave those
    suggesions to the quilters who are more experienced
    than me.

One thing is for sure, it is going to be beautiful!

How wonderful!!!

What I'm trying to picture is the pieces with black will meld into a black backing, the same if muslin is used with the pieces that are white/off. Would a tea stained muslin be a consideration or would that be too dark and not right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast