Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 117

Thread: Here I go again :oops: Opinions

  1. #1
    Super Member Charming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,941
    So after i gave mcdaniels023 a headache with all my questions about her log cabin quilt "i love log cabin blocks", i started this morning making one for my husband "his birthday is coming in April, and darn i love this guy to death...lol", so i made one sample block but i am not sure about the light colors in the block. Do they look ok? i used one of the light if you notice twice does it show? I am going to Joann's today so i can get a third matching light...
    So tell me ladies and gents what do you think?????

    Thanks all

    Notice how the middle light square is the same as the outside light??? does it look ok?
    Name:  Attachment-137982.jpe
Views: 40
Size:  42.2 KB

  2. #2
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    Looks great to me.

  3. #3
    Super Member Charming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,941
    what about the lights??? iam trying to imagine the big picture of the whole quilt, but since i am a visual person it is NOT HAPPENING....
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Looks great to me.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Jennalyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Stevensville, MD
    Posts
    477
    I like how crisp the center/border fabric look. Honestly, it looks lovely. The color scheme is just delicious.

  5. #5
    Super Member Vanuatu Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ramona, California
    Posts
    3,057
    Blog Entries
    1
    i love the browns you chose! You should be able to find a nice third white-take this block with you so you can hold it up to audition different fabrics to go with it! Let us see what you choose and a new block made with it!

  6. #6
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,278
    Your block is fine and will make a graphic, contrast-y, quilt. Do not pick the individual fabrics apart (in your mind), you'll drive yourself batty!

    Jan in VA

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    9,792
    Blog Entries
    1
    It looks awesome. :-D If you're worried about lights...maybe try working light then a shade darker and you go out. I wonder if you'll like that better since you're noticing it now. The traditional way is a red center, but I don't think I've ever done one like that. A goldish color would make the browns seems warmer.

    I love the scrappy look!!

  8. #8
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,173
    Blog Entries
    47
    Looks to me like an all systems GO! Be sure to post photos as you work on it. Love to see works in progress:)

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Wilmington.ohio
    Posts
    245
    I love it !!

  10. #10
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Charming
    what about the lights??? iam trying to imagine the big picture of the whole quilt, but since i am a visual person it is NOT HAPPENING....
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Looks great to me.
    To be honest I think the lights are fine but if it really bothers you then get a third one. I'm not one to focus too much on colors as I am the pattern. There's no rule that says you can't use the same print more than once.

  11. #11
    Super Member AngieS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Kentucky
    Posts
    3,255
    Looks good to me!! :thumbup:

  12. #12
    Super Member Charming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,941
    Red is a very nice idea...I love deep wine bordeaux colors..i will try that...thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by barnbum
    It looks awesome. :-D If you're worried about lights...maybe try working light then a shade darker and you go out. I wonder if you'll like that better since you're noticing it now. The traditional way is a red center, but I don't think I've ever done one like that. A goldish color would make the browns seems warmer.

    I love the scrappy look!!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    CA & NM
    Posts
    1,125
    I really like it and think it is great with 4 browns and 3 lights because the whites will stand out great with just the 3 you have and more might overwhelm the brown. Love it and will watch to see how it turns out. I have made 2 log cabin quilts and really like them.

  14. #14
    Super Member crafty_linda_b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Where the deer & antilope play and the eagles soar
    Posts
    1,573
    I think it is just perfect..I am sure your DH will love it...it was made with love from you..what more could he ask for? He's a lucky man to have such a loving wife..My DH & I have been married for 43 year (on Mar 15th) he is still waiting for a quilt from me *L* everytime I make one he says "oh is that one for me to put on my recliner??" I guess I should make him one huh??
    Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

  15. #15
    Super Member CoriAmD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake Orion, Mich
    Posts
    1,634
    I like it! And I don't think the light strips being the same matter all that much. At least not to me. I too am working on a log cabin quilt and I have had to improvise with different fabrics to get enough blocks to make it the size I want.
    I am determined to do this all from my stash so won't let myself go to JoAnn's.... lol :)

  16. #16
    Super Member Charming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,941
    awwww Linda you made me feel bad for your DH. I would love to help you out to make one for him. Trust me at least he wants one like my DH so they appreciate what we do...come on he is due for one, don't you think???????
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
    I think it is just perfect..I am sure your DH will love it...it was made with love from you..what more could he ask for? He's a lucky man to have such a loving wife..My DH & I have been married for 43 year (on Mar 15th) he is still waiting for a quilt from me *L* everytime I make one he says "oh is that one for me to put on my recliner??" I guess I should make him one huh??
    Happy Stitchin' Linda B.

  17. #17
    Power Poster ann clare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Navan. Co. Meath. Ireland
    Posts
    15,104
    Love it.

  18. #18
    Super Member Charming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,941
    You were right i cut a small deep red pc and put it on top of the middle light and it didn't look good at all. It just wouldn't go with the browns.
    Quote Originally Posted by sherriequilts
    I really like it and think it is great with 4 browns and 3 lights because the whites will stand out great with just the 3 you have and more might overwhelm the brown. Love it and will watch to see how it turns out. I have made 2 log cabin quilts and really like them.

  19. #19
    Super Member Lori S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,385
    I like it , go for it!

  20. #20
    Super Member oatw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,746
    I think it looks great. It doesn't bother me that you repeated a fabric. I am pretty sure your husband won't even notice or mind, either! :)

    If it really bothers you then change it. If it were me, I would keep going just how it is. :)

  21. #21
    Super Member Jill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,074
    I made one last year with a couple of the light white/beige colors and the darks were blue but it turned out very nice. One side to this (perhaps those on here who have quilted a long time can confirm this) is that I was really chewed out in a class because I was informed (preached at actually) that whatever color is used in the center MUST not be used again in the logs or border or anyplace on the quilt! In addition, the instructor told me the center of a log cabin is only red or yellow. I dropped the class. Not necessarily because of the log cabin discussion, but that and alot of other things.

  22. #22
    Super Member Charming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    Posts
    1,941
    LOL...just for the records..."my husband is color blind" so everything i make looks nice to him and he absolutely is in love with quilts just as much as i enjoy making them, it is just me i am the picky one...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    I think it looks great. It doesn't bother me that you repeated a fabric. I am pretty sure your husband won't even notice or mind, either! :)

    If it really bothers you then change it. If it were me, I would keep going just how it is. :)

  23. #23
    Super Member Fabaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,537
    that is beautiful. You can use the same light for all the light strips if you want to.

  24. #24
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    29,632
    I think it looks very pretty, anything goes with scrappy and log cabin quilts. Please yourself is really the only rule you should follow. No one way to do anything in quilt making.

  25. #25
    Super Member Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    8,899
    Blog Entries
    1
    This is going to be beautiful. Nice job. Thank you for sharing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.