Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hi everyone here are some pics as promised >

Hi everyone here are some pics as promised

Hi everyone here are some pics as promised

Old 06-29-2007, 08:36 AM

Shelly, thank you so much for sharing that with us, I'm so glad (and amazed) at the simple construction!
Old 06-29-2007, 09:30 AM

Late but not least, Those are wonderful! Thank you for posting them! Your work is great! Keep it up!
:D
Old 06-29-2007, 06:23 PM

Hi, just a note to anyone who wants to make Building Blocks. Be careful with your fabric choices as it is the colour and value that forms the pattern. Recommend using solids, semisolids and tone on tone fabrics. Avoid large or multi-coloured fabrics. Learnt the hard way LOL.

Hope nobody minds the suggestion; just want this to be successful for anyone who tries it. Is very flattering to have someone want to make something you’ve done. Thank you
Old 06-30-2007, 10:08 AM

Lovely............You are a master quilter
Old 06-30-2007, 08:57 PM

Shelly,
Thanks for the design heads-up on the building blocks. It's nice to learn from someone else's experiences. :lol:
Old 07-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Boo

What can I say that hasn't already been said. Although difficult to pick a favorite, the Earth of Life has to be right up there. I had been toying with a similar idea, but see now I was using a differant perspective. Very nice! Thank you so much for sharing these lovely show stoppers. :D
Old 07-01-2007, 11:05 AM

Shelly, that's fabulous--thanks so much for taking the time to share the block pattern!
Old 07-01-2007, 11:52 AM

Hi everyone thanks for the lovely comments, you're making me blush :) :oops:

You're welcome Leslee, but is no trouble, I'd sooner quilt than do pretty much anything else :lol:

Thanks Boo, the concept I was trying to portray was the the dependence of livng things on other life and the signifigance of the tree, particularly our forests in this cycle of life. The overall cicular design represents this cycle. The central block is a naughty tounge in cheek take off of the united nations symbol :) :oops: , hope that's ok to say that here

Anyhow thanks for all the lovely feed back, am working on my central block for my baltimore, will post some pics of WIP as I go, also would Like to do the BOM that you have running here, going to have to do some catch up on that though, so I am going to be a busy girl :) PS. It's july the 2nd here :lol:
Old 07-02-2007, 03:48 AM

Shelly, I have one more question, how big are the triangles? They look to be about 3". I printed the picture to show my mom and she fell in love too. I have the potential to have at least 5 g.grandchildren and am trying to make 5 diff. baby quilts now in case I'm not here then. This will be one of them, thanks again for the inspiration.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:10 AM

Really thrilled you like it kathy :) . The triangles measure 3 1/2" (finished size) from base to apex (approx) The triangles were drawn on isometric graph paper and I couldn't get any in imperial measure so are actually in metric measurements. This makes your finished hexagon block approx 7" edge to edge and approx 8" point to point.(not including seam allowances)

Doesn't matter though as long as you add 1/4" seam allowance then make some templates with the pattern you've drawn up, will work the same. Using the graph paper you can make them whatever size you want.

Hope that helps some, is very hard to describe something without pictures, is best to use graph paper for accuracy, Instead of having a square grid isometic paper has a grid of 60 degree triangles, is wonderful for any hexagon and circular based work.

All the best with it Kathy and if you decide to make it, let me know how you get on and I'd love to see some pics :)