Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: How should I do the sides? I need advice!!

This is the retirement quilt I'm working on. Everyone turned in their square, the top is put together, but I'm not sure what to put around the sides. I have 4 different fabrics in the 2 squares and between the "memory squares". Any good ideas out there? Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Do you have enough of the sashing strips to make the border out of? That would sure tie it all together!

Love the quilt and the machine also. I would use the sashing fabric. Just a though, only a beginner.

Power Poster
    Possibly a dark brown border and then bind it with the same fabric as your sashes. Show us what you decide. What a fun quilt! It's gonna be cherished!

I like the sashing strip idea. Should I make it the same width or a little wider? The retiring teacher is spending a lot of time at her mountain cabin, so that's kind of the theme.

Not knowing what size the quilt is, I would think the border should be about 4 times the width of your sashing srips. So if the sashing strips are 1.5 inches, I would make the borders about 6 inches.

Blog Entries
    I think a dark solid would be my choice. The sashing strips are very busy and you want the eye to go to the blocks not the outer boarder! Just my thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Carron
    I think a dark solid would be my choice. The sashing strips are very busy and you want the eye to go to the blocks not the outer boarder! Just my thought.
    Good thought, too, I just figured it was soo busy, may as well keep it so!!! LOL