Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hubby's Christmas Quilt top almost finished!

Earlier, I asked for help finding the material for this old movie themed quilt. DH loves to snuggle and watch movies on cold winter weekends, so I just had to have this for him. Once again, you guys came through for me. I got it as a kit in Oregon.

I have the top completely pieced per the pattern. However, my hubby is a little over 6 foot tall and hates his feet sticking out. Soooo, since the top measres about 60 x 66, I am contemplating putting a 4-6 inch black border on, and maybe appliqueing some of the stars, popcorn boxes and other figures onto the border. OR try to find black with gold/silver stars on it (though that might be hard to find). What do you think?

I got over 4 yards of the white large film figure material with the kit for the back, but I am going to use beige star covered flannel instead for a nice cozy feel.

Sorry the pics aren't real nice, unfortunately I don't have a design board.

Close up of center
    Name:  Attachment-52122.jpe
Views: 41
Size:  74.8 KB

A different view
    Name:  Attachment-52123.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  77.6 KB

The full quilt top
    Name:  Attachment-52127.jpe
Views: 39
Size:  69.1 KB

One more of the border.

Once I get back from New Zealand and get the material for the extra border, I will need loads of suggestions on quilting for a newbie quilter.

Thanks for looking.

Popcorn borders. Note that it comes in butter, caramel and cheese!
    Name:  Attachment-52113.jpe
Views: 48
Size:  52.6 KB

Blog Entries
    I LOVE the fabric and the pattern you chose, too!!! DH is going to love this :D :D :D

Wow, that fabric is so cool! You did a great job with it, too. I want one!

Great looking quilt!!!

Thanks so much! This is a free Andover pattern, but when I found it the fabric had been discontinued. If it hadn't been for the help of the wonderful folks on this board, I wouldn't have it. I think the biggest challenge was the middle portion. I had to take a big triangle of the red print and one of the white print and piece them together so the images matched. It didn't come out perfectly, but I think it looks nice.

I remember when you were looking for this! I'm glad you were able to get it put togehter. I too have a tall husband 6'7" last time we checked! his blankets always have to be extra long. I think it would look good with a black border on it.

You could always do a plain black border and then do some star quilting like this in yellow in the borders!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just love the quilting pattern! I have never done anything with FMQ except play on a scrap, but if I practice real hard, I just might pull this off. I have a Bernina with a stitch regulator, that might speed up the learning curve. Mind if I use this as a template? I like the idea of yellow...maybe a shiny yellow that reads as goldish...

YES you can use the design!

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Quote Originally Posted by nursie76
    Thanks so much! This is a free Andover pattern, but when I found it the fabric had been discontinued. If it hadn't been for the help of the wonderful folks on this board, I wouldn't have it. I think the biggest challenge was the middle portion. I had to take a big triangle of the red print and one of the white print and piece them together so the images matched. It didn't come out perfectly, but I think it looks nice.
    Well nursie, I made a quilt of this fabric as well and decided against doing the middle as you did because of it being a bit difficult. As I am still new at quilting and did not want to screw it up that is why I did not attempt it, but you did an amazing job of this. It turned out beautiful. Glad you were able to get all the fabric you needed.

Justwannaquilt. Thank you!

CajunQuilter2, I have a lot of the White print center material (was supposed to be the back) and i have thought of making a similar quilt for my son in law who is also into movies. So, I think I will make it with just the white in center too. I'll bet yours looks nice that way too! It is such fun material!

Great job. I love the effect of the center panel. After reading it was pieced I went back and looked you did a AMAZING job of matching. You should be proud of yourself.

Ps I love the idea of flannel for the extra coziness

Too cool. I love your fabric and you did a great job on the quilt. DH is going to love it. Has he seen it or is it a surprise? Thanks for sharing the picture-what a fun quilt.

Ladybugquilter, Thanks, when I first saw the quilt presented on an online video, by Gail Kessler, marketing director and a designer for Andover fabrics, I thought that the center came as a printed panel. When I read the directions carefully, imagine my surprise when I realized it was pieced! But by then I just had to make it for my hubby! He encourages me to quilt and is the one who encouraged me to get my new(used) Bernina and saw that I got to 12 quilt shops in 9 states in 16 days on our vacation. :D

JanRN, Thanks for the kind words. So far I have managed to do it without him knowing. I would sneak a few minutes here an hour there when I got home before he did or when he had to work late. Since I will have to somewhat rearrange my sew room to add a table to quilt it, not sure how I am going to manage to do it without him seeing. Am considering going to a quilt shop in the area where I work that offers a sewing lunch once a week. Take your own machine or rent one for $5 and you can even keep your project there. Wish me luck.

Blog Entries
    GREAT Job ! He will love it :lol: I had to go back and look again after I read you had pieced the middle :mrgreen: And how clever to go to a lunch sew in so he doesn't see it !

That is wonderful! He's going to love it!

That is awesome!! You sure fooled me because I thought it was a panel. I had to scroll back up and check it more closely. If not for the fabric at the seam under the white, I never would have been able to tell. You've done a great job. Good luck in keeping it a secret. Sounds like he really is a deserving hubby. I think spouses that spend vacation time in quilts shops for their wifes/husbands are great.

This quilt is just fabulous!

Blog Entries
    Wow!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugquilter
    Great job. I love the effect of the center panel. After reading it was pieced I went back and looked you did a AMAZING job of matching. You should be proud of yourself.

Ps I love the idea of flannel for the extra coziness
    That is exactly what I did. Your piecing is wonderful. This is such a fun quilt, I'm sure that your DH will love it.

This quilt is just awesome!!! But how the heck did you keep from starving to death while sewing all that popcorn???????

Now that you mention it, there was a definite increase in popcorn intake after each piecing session! :D

Super cool gift. Makes me want to have a movie night.

Blog Entries
    He'll love it.

I like the idea of a black border with appliqued stars.

ranger

Quote Originally Posted by ranger
    He'll love it.

I like the idea of a black border with appliqued stars.

ranger
    Thanks for the input. Now, if I can just have time to do it after I get back from New Zealand. I did clear it with my Bernina sewing center to come and use their large tables and rent a machine, when hubby thinks I am at work, so I can work on it without him knowing :wink:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast