Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: I did it! First quilt top finished! And I Love It!

I have found the new quilter does better if they quilt on the bias. This one could be done that way quilting from corner to corner in the blocks. 1/4" from the edge is pretty easy if you have a walking foot.
    Good Luck

That is so pretty and I love the color combinations.

Blog Entries
    its beautiful. i love the colors. you did yourself proud. what pattern is it please. would love to do something like that

Very nice and congrats, its always nice to complete that first quilt top.
    pat design

Great quilt, your neice will love it, and it only gets more addictive the more you sew
    Doreen

LOVE it! LOVE the colors! To get it setting straight I would start on one side in the middle and quilt in the ditch or quilt around the squares starting in the middle. On the squares I would start up at a corner and quilt by machine all the way to an opposite corner. I have done lots of quilts like these squares and they do really come out quite nice because you end up with triangles. Hope you understand what I mean.

Very pretty quilt...love the colors!
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

First, I have to say that I absolutely love your choice of fabric and your pattern design. You did an excellent job piecing it. Your niece is going to love it. She'll be so proud to take it to college. I think you made a good choice in having it quilted. $75. Is a VERY reasonable price to pay to have it quilted. Matter of fact, it is VERY VERY reasonable. Like you said, you don't need the stress right now. I made one for my granddaughter last year, which she took to The University of Alabama Tuscaloosa. (I see you are from Alabama so I had to throw that in. LOL.) Be sure to post pictures when it is quilted. One last IMPORTANT item. Be sure to sew a label in it (That would have to be cut out) to identify it. Especially because she'll be taking it to college.
    Take care & thanks for sharing.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Awesome, awesome!!! Love black, white and yellow together! Great job!

You did a fantastic job!

Blog Entries
    you have a great eye for color and I'm sure she will love it! On to #2, 3, 4,5 it never ends!
    Patski
    always learning

Banned
    It is from a picture of a quilt I saw on pinterest. It came from Craftsy, I will add a link. It did not have many instructions, I just sort of made mine the size I wanted and used the picture as a visual. Here is the link... http://www.craftsy.com/project/view/...BAD6BB0.marley

Great job! I love the colors. Have you chosen the backing fabric yet?

Before you buy the backing, check with your quilter to see how much bigger she wants the backing to be. Usually about 4" to 6" on all sides. Batting will be the same. She may have batting you can buy.

When you quilt your own, you will need to stretch the backing out (I used the kitchen floor) and secure the edges (painter's tape). Lay batting on top and secure it. Spread quilt top over these and pin with curved pins. Distance should be approx. the width of your hand.

Send it out to be quilted. I am grateful everyday for my friend who is a quilting artist with her long arm. She charges me whatever the going rate is and straightens out a lot of mistakes. Good quilting can make a beauty like the quilt top you have made even lovelier. froggyintexas

Very Nice. Love the colors.

Congratulations! Looks like you're hooked to me! lol
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Very nice quilt. You could stitch in the ditch (around each block) and maybe the center block as well by going in straight lines across and up and down, or around each block and do an X corner to corner on the blocks. I have no idea how much it costs to send one out to get quilted. Welcome to the biggest quilting bee I know of. LOL
    Jeanie

You did a wonderful job! How can you bear to part with it? So pretty.

Nice job! you should be proud

I love it - you did a wonderful job - you could try a simple meander - look it up on google -or check out you tube for videos - The most important thing is to stabilize the quilt with basting so it doesn't pucker up while quilting it. I think its going to be a very special gift.

I love the colors you chose, and the pattern! What is the name of this pattern?

Absolutely gorgeous. Nothing to apologize for here. I'm also a relatively new quilter and I have found that stitch in the ditch works really well. A walking foot and some patience in squishing the quilt through your sewing machine but you already did the really hard part. Go girl!!!

A awesome quilt , keep up the good work!!
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

Your quilt is just beautiful. You did a great job and should be proud. I send my quilts out, too. There is just too little time to get everything done. Maybe some day...
    Sheri (zkosh)
    Those who can, teach. Those who canít teach get into some less significant line of work.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast