Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I did it !!!!! >

I did it !!!!!

I did it !!!!!

Old 12-28-2022, 12:25 PM

Default I did it !!!!!

It was meant to be gifted to my DD at Christmas 2021 but was not ready. Well it's been given at Christmas this year and it has made her very happy. This is my 1st one. It is made from yardage only. I enjoyed the piecing process but the sandwiching was a nightmare. Then I was so overwhelmed by the quilting involved, that I let it sit on the spare room floor for 2 months but still could not make myself hand quilt it.
Machine quilting was out of the question as I have a basic machine only. So I had to send it to a LQS.

All I have as Tools are One 12" x 12" OLFA cutting board, One 6.5" x18.5" Creative Grids Ruler and 2 Rotary cutters. Now that I have achieved this, I am all activated and eager to march on to the next one. So I want to invest in a bigger cutting mat and 2 or 3 Rulers.

I would appreciate suggestions about what Rulers would be most suitable to have.

And I really, really want to say a "THANK YOU" to all who post on the QB - I have learnt so much here about piecing, patterns, techniques, batting and so on. and I look forward to keep on learning.
Attached Thumbnails 20221227_205948.jpg  
Old 12-28-2022, 12:46 PM

Congrats! I've been using this method to baste my quilt and it works like a charm. Its easy and I don't have to get down on the floor to do it. You might want to try this next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPaI...7sDesignStudio
Old 12-28-2022, 01:24 PM

Congratualations!! It's beautiful. I never quilt my own quilts. One, my machine won't handle it. And 2, i carry a lot of tension in my hands. It's not conducive to a positive outcome. I just send the big ones to a local long armer that i just adore. She's very sweet and very talented. I do muddle through with the small projects myself trying to convince myself that I can be a good quilter. (I'm a good piecer.) I do really enjoy the very small projects from start to finish.

Try to invest in one of the bigger cutting mats. Good quality lasts longer. But, it is an investment. Your 6.5 x 18" ruler is plenty big enough. I ususally invest in as good as i can afford and if i have to replace it every 5 or so years, i'm okay with that. Depends on how actively i quilt. And, my 8in square bias ruler by Patchwork Place is my most favorite and used ruler. (I use it for squareing up triangles. I love to quilt with triangles.)

Good luck and have fun!!

Last edited by Judith1005; 12-28-2022 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Congrats! I've been using this method to baste my quilt and it works like a charm. Its easy and I don't have to get down on the floor to do it. You might want to try this next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPaI...7sDesignStudio
Thank you for the link. will try for the next one.
Old 12-28-2022, 02:00 PM

Oh my, look at you. That is a beautiful quilt! Seriously. Love all the fabrics used. lovely colors together. Worth the wait I'm sure.
I am sending a private message (PM) here with my email addy. l have some rulers you can have. I've been cleaning out off and on.

Last edited by Quiltwoman44; 12-28-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 02:19 PM

Beautiful finish, congratulations!
Old 12-28-2022, 02:27 PM

Beautiful pattern. Be careful buying rulers. They can really suck you into quite an investment. I have quite a stash of them going on here
Old 12-28-2022, 03:40 PM

You really did do it and it is pretty! Congratulations on your first of many.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:01 PM

Beautiful! That is a treasure f'sure! Congratulations!
Old 12-28-2022, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
Oh my, look at you. That is a beautiful quilt! Seriously. Love all the fabrics used. lovely colors together. Worth the wait I'm sure.
I am sending a private message (PM) here with my email addy. l have some rulers you can have. I've been cleaning out off and on.
Thank you. Replied by PM