Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: I finally have a dedicated quilting area!

Great space! Happy for you to have a place of your own. Looks inviting. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird
    At Dollar Tree they sell a 30X22" sheet of rigid styrofoam board for $1.00. It is in the paper and crafting section. I think kids use it for display boards when the do school projects and science fairs. I had purchased a package of those plastic fabric organizers and liked the concept but couldn't afford enough of them to use for all of the fabric I had. I thought about the possibility of using the styrofoam board. It is acid free. I cut the board into 11X6" pieces so there were 10 per sheet. I wrapped the fabric around those and secured with plastic paper clips. Very little money invested and I haven't had any of them break. They are inexpensive enough that I toss them out when they no longer suit my purpose but they will probably be here longer than I will. Ann in TN
    I just bought those on a whim yesterday, glad to know they work well and what size to cut. Thank you for the tip :)

I have for a long time wanted my machine dropped down into my table for a flat surface. How was the box attached to bottom of top? Screwed in or nailed? Also how has it stood up to the motion/vibration when sewing?

thanks..

:thumbup: :thumbup:

It was glued and screwed. Someone could jump on it without any problem. The table doesn't move at all but then being solid maple it probably weighs about 85+ pounds. It took 2 of us to turn it over and move it around. Ann in TN

After posting the ?, I found your directions.

thanks so much for sharing.
    I spend way too much time at this board!!! But I do get lots of ideas....

Your hubby is a keeper. Treasure the time U have with him. Mine passed 9 yrs ago & sure do miss him. He would have made such a wonderful GF with 7 total. Had 3 when he went, so I tell people what hurt the most about losing him, was that my GK won't have a Paw Paw. But God is watching over me & mine & He is still in control.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by ncredbird
    At Dollar Tree they sell a 30X22" sheet of rigid styrofoam board for $1.00. It is in the paper and crafting section. I think kids use it for display boards when the do school projects and science fairs. I had purchased a package of those plastic fabric organizers and liked the concept but couldn't afford enough of them to use for all of the fabric I had. I thought about the possibility of using the styrofoam board. It is acid free. I cut the board into 11X6" pieces so there were 10 per sheet. I wrapped the fabric around those and secured with plastic paper clips. Very little money invested and I haven't had any of them break. They are inexpensive enough that I toss them out when they no longer suit my purpose but they will probably be here longer than I will. Ann in TN
    Foam board comes in two types. One is very strong with wood between the top and bottom layer. The other has pressed paper and about the strength of a sturdy cardboard box. We use the wood filled to build miniature rooms and doll houses and it's very reliable. It's easy to cut which is good for the less tool knowledgeable gals. All you do is score a line with a sharp knife and snap it on the edge of a table or counter. I use a 4' x8' for my display board cause I can stick pins in it.

Oh,I like that idea.Most of us do have a stash and could use them,I know I could.Thanks so much

I saw that someone asked if your machine has an embroidery attachment, but I did not see an answer. If it is, can you embroider with the machine recessed? (just curious!)

Would you think it strange if I asked if you could post a photo of the underside of the table & support? I think I have it figured out, but always like to see the details.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!
    Happy Sewing!

Looks wonderful and inviting....sew happy for you!!

>Foam board comes in two types. One is very strong with wood between the top and bottom layer. The other has pressed paper and about the strength of a sturdy cardboard box. We use the wood filled to build miniature rooms and doll houses and it's very reliable. It's easy to cut which is good for the less tool knowledgeable gals. All you do is score a line with a sharp knife and snap it on the edge of a table or counter. I use a 4' x8' for my display board cause I can stick pins in it.[/quote]

I didn't know about this product. The one I used was the paper reinforced one that you spoke of. It actually feels sturdier with the fabric wrapped around it. It hasn't given me any problems at all.

My machine does not have an embroidery unit. I will try to get a picture of the underside in the next few days. We have been out of the country for a week soaking up some sun. We are back to reality now and rain, but lots of spring flowers and the redbud are in full bloom. Pretty soon it will be gardening time again! Ann in TN

Quote Originally Posted by azjune
    Would you think it strange if I asked if you could post a photo of the underside of the table & support? I think I have it figured out, but always like to see the details.

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing!
    Happy Sewing!
    Here are the pictures of the mount. Hope this helps

Attachment to table front
    Name:  Attachment-176965.jpe
Views: 36
Size:  40.1 KB

Attachment of back side of support to bottom of table
    Name:  Attachment-176966.jpe
Views: 33
Size:  33.2 KB

I love your room. Looking closely at the details, you really created your own space. Thanks for sharing.

I love your room. Looking closely at the details, you really created your own space. Thanks for sharing.

Great room and congrats on your wonderful new space!

Wow what a terrific sewing space .You are so organized ,makes it easy to see what you have.

Wow! You go girl!!

PS: I use the foam core boards from the Dollar Tree...

Bought more fabric today at the Hancock $1.00 sale. Now I have to go buy more foam core boards. My local store has been out of them the last two times I have gone. I think others are catching on to the idea. Ann in TN

Great space and your fabric looks beautiful, all neat and organized. happy sewing days!!

Love your room and your organization!

Oh, you lucky lady. Your space is wonderful. Great job. Know you enjoy it. Some day, maybe, I'll get the nerve to show mine.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting the photos of the under side of the sewing table. They really are helpful. I have them saved to my "to do" folder and hope to do this soon.

Now that's a great space!

I especially love the closets. Did your dh build them?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 LastLast