Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I have been tempted by Burgoyne Surrounded

I have been tempted by Burgoyne Surrounded

I was reading the board the other day and it seemed that there was such an interest in B. S. I looked at two quilts posted by the ladies on here and loved the pattern. Now you all know I am in the middle of Shakespeare in the Park and have 44 little stars to go before I can put it together.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...k-t217260.html

But when I saw this quilt, I was sorely tempted and The good Lord knows how I love a challenge. I searched Block Base and found several versions of it. The WW Quilting Page also had an 18 inch block.

http://www.quilt.com/BlockOfTheMonth...alifornia.html

You can find several on the web. I liked the one where, instead of doing a long strip it was modified to little patches, so it looks like the patches are dancing around the middle block.
    I took the pattern to bed and modified it to suit the version I liked.

I emptied my scrap bin on the floor (after making sure I blocked Teddy so he couldn't gather my scraps to lay on).
    and selected just enough to make one block. I always make one block first for a sample while working the kinks out and I did make a couple of mistakes.

I decided to go with one inch patches, so the strips are cut at 1.5. I cut a bunch of patches. The pattern I had, had four patches for the center, I had to divide each one of those into four patches to make 16 patches and did the four patch.

The last pic is the center of the middle strip. The block has five sections. This is the middle section. I will show the steps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here you see all the parts that go into making one block. The block is easy to figure out. All the strips and patches are cut at 1.5 and once these are sewed up, then all you have to do is measure for the plain patches, just count the inches on the little blocks and add 1/2 inch.

The second pic shows the parts sewed together and the third pic shows the extra strip with a corner stone. The block is not complete yet. Now I have to sew alternating color patches and plain patches to surround the block itself of two sides.

I think I would like to try one with larger patches, such as cutting the strips at 2 ins. which would give you a 1.5 inch patch, don't know yet. I won't work on this anymore once I finish the block as I must finish my Shakespeare, but later on I will post a finished quilt of this. The blocks are large, at 18 inches, so it won't be too bad and I do love it.

Once I get the rest of the block done I will post another pic.

Looking very good. This just migh be my next scrappy quilt.

Blog Entries
    Oh very,very cute indeed. I like it a lot!!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    After dealing with so many pointy stars, I can see why you would be drawn to the blocky BS. I love the batiks in it so far.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    After dealing with so many pointy stars, I can see why you would be drawn to the blocky BS. I love the batiks in it so far.

Jan in VA
    You got that right Jan. This was a nice break, I won't be touching those stars for a couple days. I just have two more of the borders to do for this block and then I will post it.

Power Poster
    Ah yes, the Siren's call of another pattern before you finish the one you are working on. Your block is lovely and pin it up on your design wall to gaze at as you finish all those little stars.

Thank you for showing how this is put together. I'm a "visual learner" I guess you'd say. When it's broken down, I can understand a pattern better. I really like all the colors.

That one keeps calling me too - Maybe someday I will answer!

Blog Entries
    i love Burgoyne Surrounded. I bought the book because I grew up near Saratoga NY. You have inspired me by showing the step by step in putting the block together.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Will be an awesome quilt!
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting this. I have tons of 2.5 " squares..........

Looking great!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Ah yes, the Siren's call of another pattern before you finish the one you are working on. Your block is lovely and pin it up on your design wall to gaze at as you finish all those little stars.
    Yes indeed lol. I have it pinned there and I will definately finish a quilt with it. It is an 18 inch block so 16 blocks should do it more or less. I will also try a block with a 2 inch strip and see how that works out.

I finished the block the way it should look. It ended up being 20 inches square. Now that I know how to do it, I will make up some strata so it will go quicker. I had made this block by cutting 1.5 inch strips and then sub-cutting into 1.5 squares and sewing all those tiny sq together lol.

Ok, I dallied enough now, it's back to Shakespeare in the Park lol.

That's great! It is really a fun quilt as the pieces aren't difficult. I tended to use strips of 1.5" inches (I sewed a light/white to a darker so I was working with at least two together--it went pretty fast that way). For the 9 patches, I sewed strips of dark, white, dark and then white, dark, white together and then cut them into 1.5" segments.

But you can see that it isn't hard--and a pleasure to work with squares as opposed to triangles or points!

When I start this quilt again, I will post the stratas as I do them.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...................... It actually seems fairly simple when it is broken down into sections. BUT - how much fabric to buy? My daughter wants a pink "laying on the couch" quilt and I want to try this. Any clue??
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

You beat me to it... I have had a book/pattern for two years.. and the quilt posted ( by justflyingin) really motivated me to get going... but I promised myself to finish what I am working on before starting. You really gave me one more push!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...................... It actually seems fairly simple when it is broken down into sections. BUT - how much fabric to buy? My daughter wants a pink "laying on the couch" quilt and I want to try this. Any clue??
    Haven't a clue, as I used scraps. Depending on the size quilt, I suppose.

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    I love, love, love your block. Even my colors. I seem to have lots of little pieces of batiks left over. Maybe when I get the four I am currently working on done the next one will be mine....all mine and done with your block. I hope you don't mind me using your ideas. I will be definitely looking forward to seeing the completed quilt.

Blog Entries
    Roseyhf, You are amazing. This is so cool. Your work is awesome.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Power Poster
    very nice and great colos!!!!
    QUILTNMO

Thank you ladies. There is a book out with this quilt but I just got the block out of Block Base and did the modifications. If you google the block, you can find lots of free patterns and adjust as needed. I will get back to this quilt, using scraps as soon as I finished the quilt I am working on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast