Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: I hope she will help a child with cancer

Lola is beautiful. I'm glad you have found more help.

Blog Entries
    thanks for those responses. I am to be a guest speaker at our small quilters quild in town. They want me to tell them about the dolls I make, and help where they can. The Soroptimist club is raffling off the 'patriotic doll set' to race money for the relay for life, and have sewn up 21 dolls and are stuffing them for me to use. People have really stepped forward big time to help me with this project. Glad you like the doll and hope it will mean a lot to the child that receives itl

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theifner
    Can I have your pattern. I am a cancer survivor and would love to do this for a little girl.
    did you get your pattern?

Vickey

Blog Entries
    I love love love this doll and what she stands for !
    I have not tried my hand at making a doll. I have a couple of patterns but am a little afraid of making one. I know if I made just one I am sure I would be hooked.
    This one is beautiful. Can you share the pattern, as to where and the name of the pattern for us? :oops: :oops: Scratch the last sentence ! I see how you made the dolls, my mistake :idea:

Blog Entries
    the dolls take me from 12 to 16 hours to make each one. They have a flat body that I double stitch and stuff firmly. The body is real ugly until it gets its dress and mop cap. The shape of the head fills out much of the cap. I sew the shoulders allowing space to pull the head through, than gather around the neck to fit and secure to the body. I can type out instructions and make up a pattern, if you will make at least one for a child with a devestating illness from it. It takes about a yard and a half for each body, then a yard and a half for each dress, plus trim, so you decide. All I ask is to be given credit as the doll designer. Send me a PM and tell me what you'd like me to do. It would be easier also to use your own pattern but wouldn't turn out the same of course. I get lots of satisfaction giving away my dolls to a child in need.
    Vickey Stamps

Blog Entries
    the colors are off as it was late evening and not real bright in the living room. Our couch is a medium dark color so that could show something.

I am sending several pictures that will be dresses for kids with cancer and other devestating problems.

A national club (our local branch) called the Soroptimist's has invited me to a luncheon tomorrow, where they will present me with 21 stuffed dolls for my 'doll making ministry' for sick kids. 11 will be girl dolls and 10 are boys. They bought the doll by fabric, stuffed and sewed he dolls just to help me out.

I hope you enjoy seeing all the pictures. Thanks for following along with me as I try to bring the dolls 'to life' and help the kids.

Vickey Stamps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I meant to say a medium dark BLUE color for our couch

You are a blessing to those children hun.Your dolls are so beautiful just like you.
    Hugs,
    Deb

Quote Originally Posted by wordpaintervs
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    What a wonderful thing you are doing. I am sure these children receive much joy when they receive one of these dolls. Such Blessings. Keep up the great work.
    Thanks for those nice words. I always have a silent prayer in my mind that the dolls will become both a blessing and a friend to the young ones that endure so much.

My mom died of brain cancer in 1992 and I so wish she were here for me to show my dolls too. She loved everyone, NEVER said anything bad about anyone as long as I knew her (72 years) and she would have loved seeing them. She is part of my pay forward plan.

Thanks again.
    The dolls are beautiful and your such a sweet person. I know it must take alot of time making one. I also lost my brother (55) three years ago to cancer, been tuff as him and I were very close. I'm from a family of 13. If I can help just let me know, God-bless.

Blog Entries
    What a nice lady you are.
    Love your work and your kindness.

Blog Entries
    yesterday the local Soroptimist Club had me to lunch and presented me with 21 doll bodies they had purchased fabric for, sewn and stuffed. Today I put the dresses (see other pictures on page 21) on them and grabbed a group picture of all 11 of them. Later tonight I hope to sew the caps in place and get a few faces done. I need to give them a face. After that I will sew 11 nightgowns and mop caps, plus do a face for the opposite side, so the dolls will be ready to send out to kids n need. When I am through I will start on the ten boy dolls. I hope you enjoy the group shot photo. Hugs to you and yours.

Vickey Stamps (aka wordpaintervs)

Just beautiful hun.
    Hugs,
    Deb

Blog Entries
    finished one of those 11 dolls just now. Here is a picture of the two in one doll. I hope you like it.

Blog Entries
    the below one is, of course, the inside doll that wears a nightgown.

Blog Entries
    What a blessing you are to these children!

Blog Entries
    thanks TacoMama. When I saw your name, it reminded me of the doll I made for a sick child, that was inspired by being given a 'tiny poncho' at Herbert's Taco Hut in New Braunfels, TX, where I went last month to see my brother who is fighting his 3rd and worse cancer. He seems to be doing pretty good right now . I promised the lady who ran the taco house and gave me the poncho to use on a doll, that I would let her name the doll and she chose the name LOLA. The doll is on page 20 or 21 I think.

Have your tried making your own "skintoned" fabric using muslin and coffee/tea soak method?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Demshine
    Have your tried making your own "skintoned" fabric using muslin and coffee/tea soak method?
    I have a very difficult time in my small town finding muslin, and often depend on donations for the skin fabric, since I give away all the dolls to very sick children. Sometimes I get a little cash and use it for mailing off the dolls or white material for the nightgowns, .....stuff like that. I think tea bag dying would be nice to darken up the muslin though. Is a great idea and I'll remember it. thanks.

Blog Entries
    here is one more 2 in 1 doll finished last night. Hope you like seeing it.

Vickey

Sooooooooo adorable sweetie.
    Hugs,
    Deb

Blog Entries
    St. Judds may want a dozen dolls for a special project. They want hair which will be more demanding, but workable. I was told they don't normally accept 'stuffed toys' but for whatever this project is, they might like twelve IF I can provide what they are looking for. Some type of infection unit or something

Cute!!

You are an angel! What a sweet caring thing to do! The doll is really cute!

Blog Entries
    won't be able to do the St. Judd's dolls, as they want 12 with darker skin than what I have available, or can afford, plus the cutting, sewing, stuffing and making 12 outside dresses and 12 nightgowns, 24 hats and 24 faces in just over a month. That and they want hair so that is time consuming and another cost added. I wrote and told them that perhaps under different curcumstances, I could help out another time.

Blog Entries
    I hope this will be enjoyed. I just this moment finished it. A friend of mine will check for typos, add background and music to it and send it out to my mailing list of writings. Take care and God Bless you and yours.

Vickey Stamps

DOLLS IN THE ATTIC
    © Vickey Stamps 7/19/11
    There, in the attic of the mind, sat fabrics of skin colors, all waiting to become dolls, all waiting to be allowed into the life known by humans. They knew they had been stored there for a very real and special purpose. Around them in the attic of the mind, and because of a light from a window, they were able to watch it shine upon bolts of colored fabrics and those of white. Beside the fabric, sat lacy trims and rolls of ribbons in bright colors. Now the dolls of a nature either male or female, joined hands in numbers of twos and threes, jumped up and forward, almost dancing to the fabric.
    “I’d like a pair of blue jeans” spoke one of the boy dolls, “and perhaps a checkered skirt. That will make me quite handsome. We already know that those who have gone before us are of two faces. One will wear a smile and the other a look of sleepiness.” The girls ignored the boys each of them gathering around the pinks and blues, the yellows, light greens and darks with lighter pretty patterns upon their surface. In their unborn doll minds, they let their hands wander through the laces and tried the ribbons about their waistlines. “I’ll have an apron of this” spoke one as she put a bit of soft pink and white polka-dot material beside her cheek. Surely that will bring me a hug from the child I will go to live with.”
    “Look” called out one of the boys who’d been wandering about among the sweat suit fabrics, jumping from one color to another. “I’ll take this nice gray one. Perhaps there will be an appliqué of some sort to put upon the front of it that my child will like!” From another pile came yet another voice of a potential boy doll. “I’m a country critter” he announced for all who would listen” I’ll take that bit of plaid flannel and some of that other stuff that looks like denim. I will wear overalls with a nice bib, and have pockets upon it and on my legs Maybe I’ll go to a child who has a toy tractor, and can sit upon it once in awhile.” The potential doll flopped down beside the blue jean fabric to think about it.
    And so the conversations went on, as they stood around the fabric. All of a sudden, they heard footsteps nearly to the door, and quickly scampered back to where they had been before, making it a point to leave the fabric as it had been. Now the doll maker opened the door, stepping inside the attic.
    “Funny” thought the doll maker, but I had this sudden need to go through all this cloth in the attic of the mind. There are children out there in need of a doll to comfort them, children who are ill or suffering in their mind for various reasons... I will make a design and sew many dolls for them. I think I shall say a prayer over the material that it will find just the right arms to hold it close and love it, when it becomes a doll. Having said so, she asked for blessings for all that would become of the fabric, that each would find the right home and right child, to work the wonders needed for each one. She prayed that the dolls would be good listeners, when its owner needed that and a giver of at least imaginary warmth when that was needed. She ended with the usual Amen, leaving it all in the Lords control, that all would go well. The Lord had already made her aware that….
    LIFE WAS GOOD

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast