Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I would appreciate your advice please >

I would appreciate your advice please

I would appreciate your advice please

Old 05-10-2011, 02:05 AM
Power Poster

I think its looking good. Since your neice wants this material, why not ask her what color sashing she wants.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 AM

Seems the blue should come out a bit more on the front to work better with the back. Can you do something in the center with the blue ? Applique a butterfly or something and then bind with the blue also?
Old 05-10-2011, 02:49 AM

thats kids for you my gd is the same way big and ugly lol but what I see as ugly they see as beautiful , i don't do matching backings most of the time its like getting two quilts for one with seperate colors but the binding has to match up somehow.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:00 AM
Power Poster

You've done a great job of the dresden's ... and now have lots of sashing ideas. Whatever you do, you can't go wrong!

As for your niece ... don't be disappointed if she focuses on the back of the quilt, and not on your front and the work you've done! ..... it'll be there for when she gets older to appreciate! :)
Old 05-10-2011, 03:38 AM

beauty is in the eye of the beholder! She will love it!
Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 AM

If she picked the backing I would just go with it. Personally, I don't think the backing always has to be a perfect match. Sometimes its fun to include some fabric that adds a personal touch or fun or funny touch to the quilt. I think it makes it like a two in one quilt! I think the quilt is turning out beautifully! I haven't been brave enough to try a dresden plate!! Yours are pretty!!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:55 AM

Just the 4 blocks, we are going for a small blanket so she can take it around with her, her best friend has a half twin blanket and she wants one too.

I don't really have the money to go out and buy more fabric right now, my sister/ roommate just got laid off so my income is stretched to the limit. So my options for sashing for now are a light pink, a bright green, an orange and red stripe, and a bright pinky rainbow stripe.

I'll try to post some pictures this evening.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by lallyann
If she picked the backing I would just go with it. Personally, I don't think the backing always has to be a perfect match. Sometimes its fun to include some fabric that adds a personal touch or fun or funny touch to the quilt. I think it makes it like a two in one quilt! I think the quilt is turning out beautifully! I haven't been brave enough to try a dresden plate!! Yours are pretty!!
Thank you so much! I love the dresden plate! This is only my 4th quilt, none of them full sized yet. I piece the dresdens by hand in front of the tv, they are much easier than I expected. I like it so much I include one in each of my designs.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:58 AM

You are doing a great job from what I see here! Don't judge until you have it completely together.
Contrary to what you believe, the back does NOT have to match with the front. You can do themes, coordinate or make completely reversible. According to your pics, it look like it will go great.
The dresdens look just fine for your niece. You used the rounded end template so it softens the center of the square.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 AM

I agree with all the advice... it is beautiful, and the back does not have to match the front. you did a great job on the dresdens