Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm upset...he didn't like it

I think you did a very nice job and I like it.

Blog Entries
    That is a bummer. It is a beautiful quilt. Keep quilting, no matter what people think!!

My heart hurts for you, This is a beautiful piece and how lucky he is to have you for a daughter, remembering him on Father's Day. He sounds like he has a lot of anger. Write your feelings down, don't send them, just do too vent, it helps. How about donating this to your local vets center,or library to honor the troops. This is a quilt of love.
    You are very creative and I can't wait to see something else you have done,

I am sorry you were so hurt. Sometimes older people forget and say just what is on their mind. Even though there is no reasonable excuse for being rude. I think your quilt is beautiful and I am sure that any veteran or service person would just love to have it.

Maybe he would like to donate it to a VFW, I'm sure it will be appreciated by all members. Pass that by him and see what he says. Then make him what he wants or maybe he was having a bad day. I like it very much, keep up the good work.

What a jerk! He may be your father, but he is still a jerk! They are out there. Don't let it discourage you. Some parents are never satisfied unless they can put their offspring down in any way possible. I can identify with your hurt. Your heavenly Father loves you and so does your biological one...he just is an inconsiderate jerk. Love you for trying.

You have just got to be my sister. Surely you grew up in my house. Did you grow up in California? :lol: Some how the pain from our parents cut just as deep and sharp as when we were little kids. I have chosen to NOT be the way I grew up and my husband is encouraging. I am deeply sorry for your deeply hurt feelings. Keep your chin up! Your quilt is gorgeous!!!!!!!!! :D :thumbup:

I love it!! Invite him over, and let him read all the wonderful comments you have gotten

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I think you did a fabulous job! I made my dad a quilt for his birthday (not nearly terrific as yours). He also didn't act excited when I gave it to him. I was upset too. But maybe, like my dad, your dad will come around and thank you very much.

We don't get to pick our "Dad" but so thankful that mine was supportive of all my efforts in life....not alot of them to do with quilting....but he was there to support me....his 5th child.....

I know how you feel my Mother always found fault with my homemade gifts.or would add to them as she said to finish them. Keep quilting. It is really pretty.

Not a thing wrong with it. Its beautiful. I don't understand what he was thinking. Oh well, keep quilting girl, you are doing great.

Mrs. I

Did you think to ask what he meant by 'not patriotic enough'? I imagine you were too much in shock to do so! Maybe if you can find out what he's talking about and the picture he had in his mind, then you can figure out if you want to try again for something to please him or give it up as a lost cause.

Blog Entries
    I like it!

Quilters have a special bond that the outside world does not understand. My sister, bless her heart, calls them blankets. I just smile and hold my tongue. I have never made her a quilt and probably never will, but we will always be friends.

I'm so sorry.

It is beautiful and very patriotic.

Blog Entries
    It turned out great! The next time you are at your dads if you don't see it anywhere ask for it back. Tell him someone else will appreciate the time, effort and thought you put into making it.

Sorry your feelings were hurt. It is pretty and patriotic.
    Send dad to Quilt Academy. Let him learn to appreciate your work.

he sounds just like my mom.never had a good thing to say about anything i did.one day after she got through critizing one of my porjucte i blew up and told her if she didn't have anything good to say don't say it.i also told her i new ever flaw in ever piece she din't have to tell me and the whole world she became extreamly ill we though she was going to dye it was then that she asked me to make her a quilt and told me that i did butifull work.i did give her a lone star quilt ot fit her king size bed that i had at home now she has to show ev erone the quilt i did .sometimes it takes a serious ill or some other problem for family to realize just what they are doing to you.
    i sugest you tell your father just how you feel than when you leat expect it he will say thank you
    god bless you and yours

You did a fabulous job in all respects on your lovely wall hanging. Please keep quilting. You are a talented woman. Sadly those we love have the power to hurt us deeply. I am so sorry your dad hurt your feelings when you gave him such a priceless gift. Your work is beautiful and so are you for wanting to give him so much of yourself.

Blog Entries
    I think that your work is atttractive and well executed and made with love and I am sorry that your Dad spoke to you in such a disrespectful way. I was also saddened to read in your update that you had not wanted to speak your mind to him because your children were with you. It could have been a good thing for them to see you be assertive and not to let him put you down like that, (but I don't mean to criticise, it is surely very very hard to stand up to someone when they hurt you like that, especially a parent.)

I am not from the US so to be honest I don't "get" this whole patriotic thing. I honestly do not understand how anyone could reject your beautiful work on the basis that it was "not patriotic enough for him".

To me, patriotism has really nothing to do with any flag. If he wants to show everyone how much he loves his country, how about being the sort of person whom a foreigner might meet and think "if all Americans are like that man, it must be a fine country!"

Hope I have not offended anyone, but that is what I think.

That was a mean thing for him to say to you and you should let him know how bad his remarks hurt your feelings. I would not let hime get away with that. Tell him you love him and if you didn't, his words would not be as hurtful.Then perhaps he will think twice before speaking. You might want to go and pick up the quilt so it doesn't go in the trash. Don't make any more for him.
    It is so hard when people criticize. He needs to learn sensitivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by taiboo
    This is the first time i have EVER finished a quilt (well this is a wall-hanger), but still, This is the first time i EVER machine quilted and the first time EVER i did binding...I made this for my father for Father's day and gave it to him today. I wanted him to be the first person to ever receive one from me

He flat out told me he didn't really like it, it didn't look patriotic enough for him and actually asked why i would make him something like that...He hurt my feelings sooo bad. I didn't bring it home, i left it at his house...but i know he will never hang it. The VERY first thing ever i made and gave as a gift and it was rejected (by my father no less).

I understand that not everyone has the same taste - but really???? I'm just shocked.

Thanks for listening :-(

Nothing hurts more than rejection from a parent--whether it is a gift or your love being dismissed. My heart goes out to you! The quilt is beautiful and I'm sure most people would love and appreciate it! Your dad's loss!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am so sorry, your quilt is beautiful, and you did a fantastic job on the quilting and the binding. Some people just don't understand what work you put in to something. I know he hurt you bad, but don't let it leave a bad taste in your mouth. your work is to beautiful to set on a shelf, so don't make him any hand made gifts. Make them for everyone else, and keep on quilting. God bless. Penny

I am so sorry it wasn't appreciated. I think it looks great AND very patriotic!

At least YOU have good taste!

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 ... LastLast