Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Irish Chain Quilt, how to quilt it? >

Irish Chain Quilt, how to quilt it?

Irish Chain Quilt, how to quilt it?

Old 09-09-2022, 05:31 AM

Default Irish Chain Quilt, how to quilt it?

I've got an Irish Chain quilt on the frame right now and I have no idea how to quilt it. It's for an older couple in my congregation and he asked for pine green so used it as my main fabric and used a bunch of various green scraps plus a white with pale grey to outline the larger green blocks. This quilt is screaming custom quilting especially with those large green blocks at 18"x 22 as all my little blocks are 2x2. The quilt is 104x104 so huge.

I've been searching thru pinterest for ideas, all my quilting patterns, etc and just can't come up with a suitable combination. I'm sure I'll use my plain piano key pattern for the border as it goes with pretty much everything and it's only 4.5 inches. The 2.0 sash next to the border will probably get my single circles or my slinky pattern but from there on, I'm stumped. Any ideas, photos, sites to check out will be greatly appreciated.

Also, when I went to put my backing on, my note on it said 108x110 but when I measured it, it was only 104x110 so I'll have to scab another piece of backing onto it. Darn it all. Luckily I have another piece but only 60x108. Wonder why that one piece was so short and it wasn't cut on the sides as it still has it's salvages.

Thanks for your ideas. Here's an EQ8 printout of what the quilt sort of looks like. I decided against the triple sashing and only have 1 white sashing next to the border but the rest is correct.
Attached Thumbnails triple-irish-chain.jpg  
Old 09-09-2022, 07:45 AM

https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...n-t137718.html
Here is an older thread with a celtic design quilted in it.

also another older thread, where we did a sew-along might have some ideas in it.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...304703-10.html

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 09-09-2022 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:19 AM

Wreaths always look nice in those large empty blocks; then you could quilt feathers in the chain.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
Wreaths always look nice in those large empty blocks; then you could quilt feathers in the chain.
Exactly what I was thinking... another vote here for feathered wreaths in the centers.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:59 PM

I have recently finished an Irish Chain with a bit different pattern…..can’t think of the name right now without going to my dungeon and pulling out the pattern. It is a Meadow Mist by Cheryl Binkley pattern….Irish ???

Anyway, I hope I can attach my photos for you.

I do have a longarm, hand guided….no computer.

I would use a light color, ie peach, lime green to quilt it. They blend very well.
Attached Thumbnails 9e4a74c7-c40d-4135-bf5a-2028f17bd55e.jpeg   20ed3617-6062-4ad2-9e8c-60c804b89b00.jpeg  

Last edited by Ellen 1; 09-17-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:02 PM

I have recently finished an Irish Chain with a bit different pattern…..can’t think of the name right now without going to my dungeon and pulling out the pattern. It is a Meadow Mist by Cheryl Binkley pattern….Irish ???

Anyway, I hope I can attach my photos for you.

I do have a longarm, hand guided….no computer.

Old 09-18-2022, 04:31 AM

Ellen, that's the pattern I've been looking for as the original Irish Chain pattern which is free online had that same or similar pattern in the large square. I don't do free motion quilting myself and not good enough to try to make the pattern as you did. Does anyone know where I might find a pattern similar to this though I actually need it for 6 slots of squares on each side going both directions. This block is 18 x 18 in all.

Love your quilt and how you quilted it.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:39 PM

I think I paid $5.00 for this pattern from Meadow Mist’s www.

Not sure what pattern you are asking for, the feather/crosshatched center I quilted on mine? Are you wanting to use the pattern to lay on top of the quilt and to quilt through? If I am understanding right, I could draw it on a paper for you. Then you could make enough copies for the amount of squares you have on your quilt.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:45 PM

I tried to go to Meadow Mist's website and it came back for dogs. Also I got a notice that Cheryl Binkley just died recently from cancer. Don't know if that is the same gal, age 74. But yes, wanting to know about the pattern of the feathers with the crosshatch in the center. I can't do any freemotion including following a pattern as I have terrible hand tremors, reason for having robotics on my machine. Will keep looking though as this is the pattern used on the quilt shown on the free pattern.
Old 09-19-2022, 06:09 PM

Hi Snooze—
I had go to the www to see what was happening. Type in meadow mist designs blogspot.com. (No spaces-I just did that for clarification).

Meadowmistdesigns is her www name. I see how you got the dogs….they were on the list for meadowmist. Just have to make sure not to pick them. :-)

Also, the name of the pattern is Irish Puzzle. $12.00

If you want me to sketch the feather pattern for you, pm me with your contact info. If someone else is doing your quilting they will be able to duplicate my pattern easily with their own “penmanship”. :—).