Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Look What I Made Last Night! Ugly Jelly Roll 1600

I can't believe you guys think that's ugly! I love those fabrics... Very bohemian.

eta: I would separate the two white with lavender strips that came out side by side, tho. Just remove one of the rows and flip it...
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 17 Album of Blocks I Made for Others http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19654.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Canada Kate: I never made a jellyroll 1600 quilt but I love yours and you inspired me to make one to and I bet
    mine is not as pretty as yours (by a long shot). I have a big box of 2 1/2" strips and I will put all these strips on the sewing block so to speak and see what happens. Wish me luck !!!!!!

It will look differeent after you add a border and quilt it.

Jelly roll quilt are haphazarded, that is their nature. I'd put a calm lighter fabric on the back (no more borders) and birth it w/o borders. Pick or make up a quilting design that suits your experience and preference (I'd go for one that isn't too close or fussy) and pillow case it, using big thin "S"es of Elmers on the one side to hold it steady while you turn it and pin the other side and stitch away. It is an awsome lap robe (or child's bed covering... I'm not sure of the size).

Well since I love those colors...I like it!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    I DON'T SEE A THING UGLY. I LOVE IT. I really do like it. Nothing ugly about it.

Power Poster
    i think it looks ok you can always give to chARITY
    QUILTNMO

Have you thought about adding a solid/almost solid border? This may help the ugly fabrics. Since the quilt top is small it could be a little larger making a nice size lap quilt.

Power Poster
    Very interesting.....

Blog Entries

Fantastic Art Quilt !!

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Kate View Post
    I've never made a Jelly Roll 1600 before, but someone posted one on here earlier in the week and it inspired me. At Christmas time, I bought a "grab bag" from Craftsy, and one of the things in it was a kinda ugly jelly roll. Here's the result:

Attachment 400633
    Top on my design wall.

Attachment 400634
    Fabric detail.

It's kind of busy, eh? But I was amazed at how fat it went together. I think I will back it with yellow and donate it to our United Way auction at work, which we hold in the fall.
    LOVE IT!! I'll just bet at an auction with some young folks there this quilt will bring in the big bucks.. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I think it's just beautiful..

Blog Entries
    It is busy, LOL, but pretty
    Blessed Be
    Darlene

I love the fabric and it looks great in the quilt.

I think you should do a 1" border all around using one of the darker colors, followed by a 6" border of one of the larger floral prints. Then bind with the same fabric as the 1" border. I know you will have to order more fabric for this, but it really puts a pretty finishing touch on a 1600 quilt. Been there, done that.

Nothing wrong with it I think it is beautiful, love those colours.
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

It is busy but someone will love having it to snuggle under if you don't. Giving to charity is wonderful.

I made one last year on a retreat and was NOT crazy about it. But this year I added 2 borders and some applique butterflies all over and it is now smashing. You got to let these quilts hang around awhile and grow on you.. Pegeth
    Each project adds to my stash of knowledge. Love sharing the results with anyone who'll look.

Blog Entries
    I also made my first 1600 quilt that I read on the boards over the weekend. I went to Value Village and bought a bunch of pillow cases, ripped out the seams, washed and ironed and went crazy with the rotary cutter! Instead of 1600", I ended up with 2310", but thought - what the heck - and started sewing. I haven't made a quilt in 20 years, but now that the kids are grown and gone, I got the itch (you know what I mean!!) and this is what I ended up with......but I have to admit, I love the bright happy colours in the original posters quilt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Puddin57; 03-12-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2