Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Miniature Scrappy Quilt >

Miniature Scrappy Quilt

Miniature Scrappy Quilt

Old 08-22-2012, 06:54 AM

Default Miniature Scrappy Quilt

Hi Everyone,

I have spent a great amount of time admiring all the talent that is shown on the Quilting Board. I am happy to be able to see everyone's great quilts. I thought I would share a quilt I have made that I lovingly refer to as my "trash quilt". Please understand the reason I call it this. The quilt was made with 1" squares, finishing at 1/2" square. I only used fabric that would have been destined for the trash and have been known to go "dumpster diving" at various quilting events/classes. All my friends know me by now....and they still will shake their heads, but this is what I ended up with. Believe me, it's not that I don't have yardage of fabric to use, it is just that I have made something out of nothing and that thrills me (plus I LOVE scrappy quilts). This is my first attempt at a miniature like this and my seams are far from perfect, which does bug me a little. You can also see in the picture that it had skewed a little. I started out making the quilt in sections, and then went to making it in rows. My thought was to possible frame it as it measures approximately 17" square. The entire back is seams so I think it would be difficult to quilt. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks for looking and being such a great community of quilting buddies.
Attached Thumbnails perkiomen-miniature-1.jpg   perkiomen-miniature-2.jpg   perkiomen-miniature-3.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 06:57 AM

You must have the patience of Job.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 AM

I LOVE this! What a neat take on a postage stamp quilt - I love how you varied the colors to make it something completely different!!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:08 AM

Really cute! too small for me, I'd go insane!
Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 AM

Kudos to you for saving those little scraps and creating such a eye catching mini quilt, you deserve a medal for working with so many 1" squares. Gives me some ideas for another scrappy quilt from my scrap stash but I have to make the individual squares at least 2" as I can't work as small as you did.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:15 AM

I'm fond of scrappy quilts and I love yours! Nice work.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:17 AM

All I can say is WOW, great job with those tiny pieces.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

​I think it's adorable! I would be looking for a show that has a miniature section or put it into your local fair. It is sure to be well received.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:25 AM

Well done! I love it, the colors, the pattern ... most of all the size. I ADORE small blocks - the smallest I've done was 1/4" finished squares - and I will freely admit my seams don't match anywhere near as close as yours. I did quilt it - it wasn't "easy" but it did indeed quilt (FMQ on a domestic machine).

Suggestion for the border would be a 1/2" colorful border (a print with many "dark" colors), then a wide print with soft colors, then bind with the same print as your narrow border.

Another possible suggestion is ... find a repeating border print with lots of bright/dark colors that can be mitered easily. Use a WIDE (4" perhaps) border - mitred so the repeats match at each corner. Then just bind. I adore mitered/matched borders as much as I do small pieces.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

Soo pretty, you havesome nice colorsther and wat a wonderful stash youhave