Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: missing my DSIL and BEST friend today!

I just wanted to share a couple of pics of things I made for my DSIL as well as best friend. She lost her battle with cancer April 19th at 47 years young and I miss her dearly! When we first found out last June, she was already stage four and we all went on vacation together! When we got back she had to start treatments so I made her a rag quilt, fast and easy, as well as comforting. During her months at home her deck was her sanctuary and she got into birds. Her DH made her a backyard retreat and put all kinds of bird feeders and baths up so she could watch the birds. I also made her a brightly colored poncho and scarf to wear on the cool days. When she started getting worse I made her a wallhanging. It was my first attempt at machine applique and machine quilting, but she loved it! I presented the wallhanging to her on April 5th. I am so glad I overlooked the flaws of being a beginner and didn't wait to get better! I just looked up and saw how long this is........... sorry, just missing her alot today. :cry:

Brenda's poncho and scarf
    Name:  Attachment-22240.jpe
Views: 40
Size:  50.7 KB

Brenda's Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-35596.jpe
Views: 37
Size:  56.8 KB

Brenda's Wallhanging
    Name:  Attachment-38002.jpe
Views: 43
Size:  59.4 KB

So sorry Angie for your loss, take time today to mourn her, it is a necessary step in healing.

The thing you made her are beautiful and I am sure they meant a lot to her.

Ninnie

I'm sorry you are missing her.
    They are all really pretty!
    But I'm sure she loved what you made for her and wrapped herself in the love. Big hugs to you!

I'm so sorry you're missing your pal. It sounds like you two were close. The stuff you made her is lovely and you're so right - we shoudn't wait for things to be perfect before we give them as gifts. The people who love us love the effort we put into things.

Hugs to you

Blog Entries
    So sorry for your loss.... Of course you miss her, cancer is a horrid disease :twisted: Just keep her in your memories and she will live forever in your heart. And everytime you look at a bird she will be with you... Love everything you made for her and I am sure she loved it also
    {{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
    Sharon

Thanks guys! I am the strong one for everyone else in the circle, but I don't have to be with you all! Thanks again.

God bless you as you miss her. i had a dear, dear friend pass away from cancer also - a bit over two years ago - there are many reminders of her and I still get teary eyed when i hear her favorite song. every once in awhile i think of her and a tear or two slips down. i really like the bird wallhanging you did for her - quite appropriate.

Oh Angie, I can not heal your hurt, but I can send you my support of prayers and hugs. I understand how this grief can take hold at the most surprising times. I lost both of my parents within five years. My mother's passing almost killed me. But, now when I think of her, I smile that god allowed such a special person to be a part of my life.

The healing takes time. There are going to be good and bad days. There will be anger, grief and love all mixed together. Very confusing. But, you will always have her memory to comfort you. I know that sounds odd, but it really is the truth. How I finally began healing was one day I realized that she would not want my life to be so sad. And that I could be comforted by my family too. I was like you, the strong one for everyone else.

I hope I have given you hope and that you will allow your friends and family to love you back to life. God bless you dear quilt friend.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
    Oh Angie, I can not heal your hurt, but I can send you my support of prayers and hugs. I understand how this grief can take hold at the most surprising times. I lost both of my parents within five years. My mother's passing almost killed me. But, now when I think of her, I smile that god allowed such a special person to be a part of my life.

The healing takes time. There are going to be good and bad days. There will be anger, grief and love all mixed together. Very confusing. But, you will always have her memory to comfort you. I know that sounds odd, but it really is the truth. How I finally began healing was one day I realized that she would not want my life to be so sad. And that I could be comforted by my family too. I was like you, the strong one for everyone else.

I hope I have given you hope and that you will allow your friends and family to love you back to life. God bless you dear quilt friend.
    God bless you too! And thank you for the support, hugs, and prayers. I do know she is in a better place and suffering no more and that does help, but selfishly I still miss having her here.

I'm so sorry that you lost your friend.. I can't imagine how I would feel..

I can tell you though, that the hand made gifts you gave her meant the world to her. I have a friend whose birthday was yesterday. I have usually only given her a card, but on two occasions, I came up with home made gifts. Both times (4 years apart) she toted them around with her to brag about them and show them to other friends.

The love you put into your beautiful quilt and poncho, I'm sure were treasured. Cherish your memories.

God bless you.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I am so glad that you were able to give her some comfort as her journey progressed, and now her loved ones have something to hold and wrap them in love as you grieve.
    Your work is beautiful and you were so thoughtful and encouraging for DSIL ... well done.
    Prayers for your healing and hugs for strength to move forward. You are not alone. Please share with your family/her family how many are wishing God's blessing on them for today and forward.

Angie,
    I feel your loss, but remain strong and know that you have beautiful memories to go with those pictures. Smile for the momories and the footsteps and love she left upon your heart. My tears I shed are for you and all those that we have lost in recent times as well in the past. I am truly sorry for your loss,

Hugs to you
    Justme

Quote Originally Posted by maggiebooboo
    I'm so sorry that you lost your friend.. I can't imagine how I would feel..

I can tell you though, that the hand made gifts you gave her meant the world to her. I have a friend whose birthday was yesterday. I have usually only given her a card, but on two occasions, I came up with home made gifts. Both times (4 years apart) she toted them around with her to brag about them and show them to other friends.

The love you put into your beautiful quilt and poncho, I'm sure were treasured. Cherish your memories.

God bless you.
    Well magiebooboo, all I can say is do that whenever you can while she is still here. I do cherish the memories with her we knew each other since elementary school and became close at age fifteen. Lots of memories... Thank you for your kind words and God bless you.

Thank you all. I am so glad I joined this quilting board! And started quilting.

Sew sorry for your loss. As long as you have good thoughts about what you did for her and the beautiful things you made for her, keep her with you and rejoice in having that good friend in your life. God is good.

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure that your friend found much love and comfort in these wonderful gifts that you made for her. Prayers and hugs going your way.

Blog Entries
    im so sorry to hear about you,re sister in law ,so young but you made her happy with the best girfts to her your love ,im sure she very happy with our lord ,look at it this way she,s always be young happy not sick and not in pain anymore , now she,s your guarden angle always waching over her family hang in they time will heal

Blog Entries
    Sorry that you are hurting. Wishing you many happy memories to return and fill the void your DSIL left.

Hugs from Sacramento.

Such special gifts you gave your SIL and yourself. She left you a lot of lovely memories wrapped up in those works of love ya know. It's ok to miss her...but its also ok to smile at the memories you have in your heart :) Big Hugs!!

Angie I am so sorry. What you gave her besides the beautiful fabric art, was your friendship.

Sorry for your loss, it's so rough when the person passes so young, but I think you did a wonderful job and I'm sure that she loved them.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friend Angie. She will always be in your heart - and you will think of her whenever you see or hear a bird! I'm sure she treasured those gifts that you made for her - they're now filled with the love from both of you.

What a blessing you must be to so many! What a warm heart to give from the heart-Skeat

Angie--what a dear sweet sister in law and friend you were. I know your gifts were treasured---the wallhanging with the birds made me cry. How thoughtful of you. I am so sorry for your loss. May time and wonderful memories ease your pain.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I am sure that you gifts of love brought her much comfort and cheer those last months. It was a special thing you did for her and now you have them to remember her by!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast