Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
missing my DSIL and BEST friend today! >

missing my DSIL and BEST friend today!

missing my DSIL and BEST friend today!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 AM

I just wanted to share a couple of pics of things I made for my DSIL as well as best friend. She lost her battle with cancer April 19th at 47 years young and I miss her dearly! When we first found out last June, she was already stage four and we all went on vacation together! When we got back she had to start treatments so I made her a rag quilt, fast and easy, as well as comforting. During her months at home her deck was her sanctuary and she got into birds. Her DH made her a backyard retreat and put all kinds of bird feeders and baths up so she could watch the birds. I also made her a brightly colored poncho and scarf to wear on the cool days. When she started getting worse I made her a wallhanging. It was my first attempt at machine applique and machine quilting, but she loved it! I presented the wallhanging to her on April 5th. I am so glad I overlooked the flaws of being a beginner and didn't wait to get better! I just looked up and saw how long this is........... sorry, just missing her alot today. :cry:

Brenda's poncho and scarf
[ATTACH=CONFIG]22240[/ATTACH]

Brenda's Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]35596[/ATTACH]

Brenda's Wallhanging
[ATTACH=CONFIG]38002[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-22240.jpe   attachment-35596.jpe   attachment-38002.jpe  
Old 05-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

So sorry Angie for your loss, take time today to mourn her, it is a necessary step in healing.

The thing you made her are beautiful and I am sure they meant a lot to her.

Ninnie
Old 05-22-2009, 07:04 AM

I'm sorry you are missing her.
They are all really pretty!
But I'm sure she loved what you made for her and wrapped herself in the love. Big hugs to you!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:07 AM

I'm so sorry you're missing your pal. It sounds like you two were close. The stuff you made her is lovely and you're so right - we shoudn't wait for things to be perfect before we give them as gifts. The people who love us love the effort we put into things.

Hugs to you
Old 05-22-2009, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

So sorry for your loss.... Of course you miss her, cancer is a horrid disease :twisted: Just keep her in your memories and she will live forever in your heart. And everytime you look at a bird she will be with you... Love everything you made for her and I am sure she loved it also
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Sharon
Old 05-22-2009, 07:19 AM

Thanks guys! I am the strong one for everyone else in the circle, but I don't have to be with you all! Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:21 AM

God bless you as you miss her. i had a dear, dear friend pass away from cancer also - a bit over two years ago - there are many reminders of her and I still get teary eyed when i hear her favorite song. every once in awhile i think of her and a tear or two slips down. i really like the bird wallhanging you did for her - quite appropriate.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Oh Angie, I can not heal your hurt, but I can send you my support of prayers and hugs. I understand how this grief can take hold at the most surprising times. I lost both of my parents within five years. My mother's passing almost killed me. But, now when I think of her, I smile that god allowed such a special person to be a part of my life.

The healing takes time. There are going to be good and bad days. There will be anger, grief and love all mixed together. Very confusing. But, you will always have her memory to comfort you. I know that sounds odd, but it really is the truth. How I finally began healing was one day I realized that she would not want my life to be so sad. And that I could be comforted by my family too. I was like you, the strong one for everyone else.

I hope I have given you hope and that you will allow your friends and family to love you back to life. God bless you dear quilt friend.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Oh Angie, I can not heal your hurt, but I can send you my support of prayers and hugs. I understand how this grief can take hold at the most surprising times. I lost both of my parents within five years. My mother's passing almost killed me. But, now when I think of her, I smile that god allowed such a special person to be a part of my life.

The healing takes time. There are going to be good and bad days. There will be anger, grief and love all mixed together. Very confusing. But, you will always have her memory to comfort you. I know that sounds odd, but it really is the truth. How I finally began healing was one day I realized that she would not want my life to be so sad. And that I could be comforted by my family too. I was like you, the strong one for everyone else.

I hope I have given you hope and that you will allow your friends and family to love you back to life. God bless you dear quilt friend.
God bless you too! And thank you for the support, hugs, and prayers. I do know she is in a better place and suffering no more and that does help, but selfishly I still miss having her here.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:07 AM

I'm so sorry that you lost your friend.. I can't imagine how I would feel..

I can tell you though, that the hand made gifts you gave her meant the world to her. I have a friend whose birthday was yesterday. I have usually only given her a card, but on two occasions, I came up with home made gifts. Both times (4 years apart) she toted them around with her to brag about them and show them to other friends.

The love you put into your beautiful quilt and poncho, I'm sure were treasured. Cherish your memories.

God bless you.