Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My *Crazy Colorful* Rag Quilt

Ollie makes me laugh!! Silly kitties!! I really love your quilt! Nice colors! I have never made one of these.
    Nancy

It must be comfortable, your "model" seems to love it.
    DEB CAVAN

Very, very pretty! Ollie looks so cute sacked out there.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Name:  ollie.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  135.9 KBName:  ollie.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  135.9 KB

Here is another pix of our Ollie ... the one on the quilt did not show his BLUE eyes!!! He must be part Siamese somewhere, but his mother was black!!!

jody

Sorry he showed up twice ... that must mean he is twice as cute!!! (But new at posting pics here ... so sorry )

Very nice Rag Quilt, I like all the different colors....
    Melody R Norris

Oh I love your quilt but most of all your beautiful cat....he looks so comfortable......great job on the quilt, I too am collecting FQ's to make a rag quilt.

Pretty! Cute cat picture!

OK, Ollie did steal the show! He's adorable with those big blue eyes! Now to your quilt...it's beautiful! I love the colors! It has that summery feel! I was wondering if you made the pillow cases cause they look great with it!
    Kelly

It's great !!! Your quilt inspector looks like he works too hard !!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by fxsts93kf View Post
    OK, Ollie did steal the show! He's adorable with those big blue eyes! Now to your quilt...it's beautiful! I love the colors! It has that summery feel! I was wondering if you made the pillow cases cause they look great with it!

Kelly ... I did make the pillowcases/shams. I wanted a tone-on-tone print, not to conflict with the patterns in the quilt, so I picked out two colors and just went with it. I did, also, a fancy embroidery-type stitch on the ends of the pillowcase/shams ... first time I've done that. I recently bought a Janome 6600 and found this just a nice finishing touch for those cases.

And you're right, it looks and feels very summery!!!

jody

Lovely quilt...and the kitty says it all...lol
    Blessings from Janice

I love it. it's great.
    Ollie...I'm envious of your comfiness...You look so content...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jj1150 View Post
    rcrisson .... I cut the squares 9 inches and the batting 7 1/2 inches. And for a queen quilt, I used 132 squares .... 11 across and 12 down. The hardest part, for me, for trying to get the colors right, where they wouldn't be all grouped together ... I finally laid them all out on the floor, stacked them and numbered each row.

They are FUN and EASY

jody
    Did you use flannels? and what did you use for the batting?, just wondering because you stated it was the perfect weight. great quilt, love the kitty!.........................
    Just passing through!

Quote Originally Posted by abdconsultant View Post
    Did you use flannels? and what did you use for the batting?, just wondering because you stated it was the perfect weight. great quilt, love the kitty!.........................
    I used 100% cotton for the top (as you can see, many different colors). Actually, I sort of had a plan. Since the BR walls are Orange, I used any fabric with these colors in it (or predominantly so): Orange, Turquoise, Yellow, Pink, Green ...

for the back I used Kona Cotton in an off-white (first time I have used this, and just love it!!!)

The batting is: Quilters Dream Cotton ~ thinnest loft (think it's called *Request*) ... now, when I visited the quilt shop again, she said most people use this batting for table runners, and use the *next heavier* for quilts. Glad I didn't know that when I bought it, because it is the perfect summer weight!

Have fun making YOUR rag quilt!!!!

jody

The quilt, the cat and your bed and armoire....ALL look beautiful.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

love your colors, so bright and cheerful. Ollie seems to say "thanks mom for making this just for me"

Blog Entries
    Wow, love the colors. Nice job. Kitty looks extra happy.

Just one more thing I want to add for anyone that's planning a rag quilt.

I DID NOT pre-wash ANYTHING.

After snipping, I washed/dryed it at the laundromat with about 3 color catchers ... had NO runs at all

jody

Love the quilt. Did you make the pillow cases too? They look so nice together.
    Jojos Nana, Carol

I just love this bright, colourful quilt! I've been thinking about making another one and you have inspired me to get organized! It's so cuddly looking and Ollie has found his dream spot! Beautiful work!!!

To make the quilt with flannels, would you still add batting? Thanks for all your measurements etc.!

jojosnana .... YES, I did make the pillowcases/shams. Maybe most shams are fancier than this, but I used an old one I had for the pattern. Just a larger pillow and simple, straight steams (no piecing together of fabrics). Found both pillowcase fabrics at JoAnn's.

tebill ... When I made my grandbaby's quilt (Eva Elizabeth), I used flannel for the back (and I DID pre-wash the flannel only); 100% cotton for the front and used a lightweight cotton batting for the middle (from JoAnn's).

Now I am going to make another baby quilt , using flannel for the front and back; but in the middle, something called Ornsberg (I'm sure I got this spelling wrong, the LQS recommended this as the middle, because it rags up so nicely).

So, in this case, I would have 3 edges ragging up on the front (all 3 layers will be the same size). This one will also be various sized strips, instead of the squares. I have the top all cut, but the weather's been so nice, I just have to be outside as much as I can ~ HATE the winters And I didn't pre-wash this, as it's all flannel, except for the middle.

Enjoy!!!

jody

Very pretty and colorful quilt! I hope your hands survived the clipping!

Quote Originally Posted by piepatch View Post
    Very pretty and colorful quilt! I hope your hands survived the clipping!
    piepatch ... I used the Fons & Porter Ragging Shears. They are VERY easy on the hands. A friend of mine, bought a spring-loaded pair, and didn't like them. I suggested these, and she said they worked a LOT better than the spring-loaded ones.

PLUS, they are a bright Red, and easy to keep track of (and on the smaller side too). Very sharp!!!

jody

The quilt and the cat are both great!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast