Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Festival of Quilts experience >

My Festival of Quilts experience

My Festival of Quilts experience

Old 08-15-2011, 02:28 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Hi everyone, I spent the weekend at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham, England and wanted to share my experience with you. It was absolutely mind-blowing - the competition standard seems to improve year on year with new ideas and new artists entering the field and I LOVED it. I came away with my brain buzzing with new techniques I wanted to explore and ideas for about a zilllion new quilts! I'll try to give my own highlights...

Firstly, I entered two quilts myself for the first time this year and of course, I didn't win anything but is was great to see them hanging there! They have both been seen on the board before - Deconstructing Clarice, my kaleidoscope style quilt I entered in the Art Quilt category - Judge's Comments were, 'excellent visual impact, applique elements strong, draw the viewer into the quilt, lovely use of surface design and embellishment... strong composition and 'wow' colours, evocative of a theme'. And I also entered The Thirteenth Fandango into the Contemporary Quilt category. This is the quilt in my avatar and the pattern, my own design, is available to purchase here exclusively on the board http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-132474-1.htm

Judge's comments for that one were 'great choice of colours in a well-thought out, balanced design, excellent visual impact and good mix of different techniques'.

It was also lovely to see our own Borntohandquilt's fantastic work winning a well-deserved award in the Traditional category and to meet fellow board member, Harriet Carpanini in person on the Cotton Patch stand and take her (she asked!) to see my quilts.

The two dominant themes for me were the quilts using beautiful hand dyed fabrics, lots of delicious complementary FMQ and surface embellished with paintstiks and dye - particularly the outstanding work of the very talented German lady, Pia Welsch who 'encouraged' me to visit Heide Stoll-Weber's stand where I spent quite a lot on the most beautiful hand dyes (in the photo) I also bought some Markal paintstiks and a starter kit of Procion dyes and a couple of books on the subject, and I tell you I can't WAIT to start playing with those. :-D The second theme was the fabulous different interpretations of landscape quilts - from the realistic through to the abstract. And since I have two commissions I'm working on in this genre, it was wonderful to see and get some ideas. :-D

DH came with me and he was very proud of his fellow country-woman (he's Dutch) who won Best in Show with her wonderful abstract Art Quilt and First Prize in the Pictorial category with her African scene. If I'd been allowed to take one quilt home with me, it would have been one of these. They showed the pinnacle of what can be achieved in fabric and thread in the hands of a true artsist and her standard of workmanship is perfection.

And to top it all, I went on the Innova stand to play with the long arm and met a woman who knows our lovely Charismah! So it was like meeting Charismah by proxy. :-D

OK - sorry my post is so long, congratulations and thank you if you read this far. I've posted my favourite photos here in a web album if you'd like to take a look https://picasaweb.google.com/1065195...Jq8-oT-iP2yIA#

Deconstructing Clarice
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242064[/ATTACH]

The Thirteenth Fandango
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242065[/ATTACH]

My purchases - SO exciting, new toys to play with!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242066[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-242058.jpe   attachment-242059.jpe   attachment-242060.jpe  
Old 08-15-2011, 02:47 AM

Your quilts are breathtakingly beautiful.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 AM

Your quilts are gorgeous. Can't wait to see what you do with the dyes. Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:05 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thank you both - I've made the link clickable at the bottom of my original post if you'd like to look at my favourites from the Festival.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:10 AM
MTS
Banned

Thanks for the report and great pictures. Lots and lots of vibrant colors. It looks like a fabulous show.

Is the competition open to all? Or just Europe?

Heide SW had a line of tonals called Color Connectors for Free Spirit years ago. They were the most amazing tonals I've ever seen. I don't know why they didn't continue with them. I'm still guarding the small amount of lime green I have remaining. ;-)

Her hand-dyes are some of the most gorgeous I've ever seen. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:33 AM

Thanks for sharing. I loved the photos of the quilts, it is hard to pick a favorite, there are so many stunning quilts and I'm sure the photos don't really do them justice.
We had our quilt show on over the weekend too, and there were some gorgeous quilts there too, but different. Maybe it's our scenery or something.
My head is also swimming with ideas but first my new machine and I have to get acquainted :lol: :lol:
Old 08-15-2011, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

I love your quilts K, especially the Clarice Cliff one, and you should have won something too!

Thank you so much for giving a link to your pics, they were all wonderful. I have only managed to go to the Festival on alternate years, and this year was the 'wrong' year, still, mustn't grumble as last year was great too.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:43 AM

Oh my!! Thanks for the run down on the festival!! Your OBW quilt is so stunning!! If it ever needs a new home ..... :) Seriously though, great job on your quilts and it looks like you got some fun goodies to keep you busy.

Cheers!
Rachel
Old 08-15-2011, 03:48 AM
Banned

Good morning from Texas k - Your work is BEAUTIFUL!! Congratulations on your awards. Love your Deconstructing Clarice.

I looked at your website & your ART took my breath away. Your eye for color is outstanding. I LOVED your "A Hearty Splash of Colour". What a great take off on a big log cabin. Is the pattern your original or from a pattern available to others?

I love the beauty of quilts & trying to make them, unfortunately I am NOT creative w/color or artistic. I need patterns. Get the idea of the strip piecing of the blocks, just wondering about the method to add the black strip between them.

Anyway, anyone on here who hasn't checked out your website definetly should - it's like visiting an art gallery.

Have a blessed day.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:49 AM

Some great talent there for sure- thanks for sharing! Did they have traditional pieced quilts too?