Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first "one block wonder", not sure I'm thrilled with it (WIP)

Unhappy My first "one block wonder", not sure I'm thrilled with it (WIP)

I'm working on my first "stack & whack" style, or "one block wonder". It's destined to be a Christmas gift for my sister.

I thought I'd be clever and avoid repeat problems by using a gorgeous panel as my fabric, but now that I'm looking at it up on the design wall I'm not positive that was a great idea.

Here's the panel I used: http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail....9-59b368f1a78c

And here's my first go at it on the design wall. I already see a few pieces I need to move around, I'm not done fiddling yet. But this is the general idea of where I'm going with it:

I'm thinking black borders, but it ended up smaller than I'd anticipated so maybe a triple border consisting of 2 strips of black with a coordinating blue (maybe with a subtle Asian print?) sandwiched in between along the sides? (My sister LOVES black so that part is easy.) I don't know...am I being too picky or is there something missing here?

Some of the individual kaliedoscopes are REALLY cool though. I was really excited as I was assembling the hexagons but the overall quilt is (so far) not thrilling me as much as some of the individual blocks did.

It is hard to use a panel, and hard to use anything with straight lines, in a OBW. However, I do think you're on the right track with yours, and it will come out just fine. I would probably move the blues with black in them to the bottom, and then decide whether to move the golds with black to the bottom. I think it might look like the "weight" of the quilt is sinking down, which could be very effective. Half the fun of a OBW is playing with the design! Be sure to post again when it's finished.

Thanks Dunster, I think I'll try that. I was kind of thinking of a "surf to sand" sort of look but there are a ton of possibilities. I think maybe I need to stop looking at it for the night and come back and see what I think tomorrow. After a fiddle a little more, of course. LOL

I did save an extra panel that I'm going to center in black (and maybe blue, if I use that on the front) for the backing. If nothing else, THAT side should look good! I am REALLY fond of this panel, I might have to order another to make a wall hanging for myself, I like it so much.

try turning the quilt up side down---black blocks then would be at the bottom mostly

I'm actually thinking I'll adjust it so it's more of a square shape rather than being quite so rectangular. It's intended as a throw, so I'd kind of like it to be omni-directional, where there really is no up or down to it. (Except for the panel on the back, that will obviously have an up & down orientation...but I'm also thinking of setting the back panel on point, just to confuse matters further, LOL)

Just making it square will change things. Hmmmmmmmm....

I think Dunster has the right of it. What if you were to use one of the coordinating prints in your borders?

The 1st thing My mind said was Starry Night don't know why but just the way you have them on your wall!
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

I think this looks very nice!!
    "Making a great quilt is just another way to tell the universe how ecstatic we are about the beauty of life." -Kaffe Fassett

Co-Owner and Chief Sewing Engineer of Ever After Crafts
    www.everaftercrafts.com

it's beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by laurafet View Post
    I think Dunster has the right of it. What if you were to use one of the coordinating prints in your borders?
    *nod* I think that's my plan at this point, for the borders at least. The LQS I just discovered has a pretty big selection of Asian prints and I THINK they had some in this same line....gosh, guess I'll have to go back and buy more fabric! THE HORROR!

Blog Entries
    I think it is wonderful. Very unique and beautiful colors. It's snowflakes falling on the autumn leaves at night.
    Kathleen

Remember, people will see your quilts long after you are gone....NOT your housework!

Blog Entries
    I admire anyone who starts this block and yours will be fun to watch grow. Since I have never done one, I will just stand back and admire you both!
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

I like it. Almost has a Yin Yang design to it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
    I think it is wonderful. Very unique and beautiful colors. It's snowflakes falling on the autumn leaves at night.
    i rather saw the snow flakes in the beginning, but the fall leaves makes it come together
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Love Love this. Aren't OBW's wonderful?
    I would play with the blocks more. I do like the surf/sand idea and can certainly see if coming that way. As you move blocks on your wall - take some pictures with your cell phone or camera, Photo's tend to see values, etc. You'll be able to see some blocks that can be moved to pull the effect in. I usually stand back and look at my phone pic then the wall.
    You may also want to try making a big swirl and radiating out from that.
    Just a thought - if this is a panel, they should have coordinating fabrics. You 'could' make a few more blocks from it and then use it, or other coordinating fabrics, for your borders.
    Can't wait to see the finished product!

Power Poster
    Your blocks are beautiful! Just keep playing with the layout until you hit an arrangement you love. Take some snapshots as you go to keep track of the designs.

Blog Entries
    As you rearrange your blocks, be sure and take a photo of each arrangement so you can return to that one if you want. what i would try is to have the black in the middle, with the lightest blues in one corner, and lightest gold in the opposite one.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

I love it! Love the colors!

If you need to make it bigger consider putting them into blocks maybe with some sashing. Then each individual would show better.

Oh I just want to SCREAM!!

I played with this more last night and had it arranged into a square shape that I thought looked better. Went to bed to sleep on it. This morning I get up to go see what I think of it with fresh eyes....the WHOLE THING had come down off the wall. AAAAAHHH!!!!! I've never had that happen before, and judging from how my cats are hiding from me I think someone tried to climb it. Oh I am so frustrated right now! I've laid it back out (on the guest bed this time, behind a closed door) but I seem to be missing blocks now somehow. I must have a couple hidden behind others or something. I just need to walk away for awhile, before I start wringing furry little necks!

Later I will laugh about it. Right now....NOT FUNNY!!! Argh!!

I'm just trying to convince myself this is "meant to be" and now it'll turn out better. Right? RIGHT??

I really like it a lot and would not believe it was from that panel! Please post when you are finished so we can see what
    you end up doing!

It will be fun to see what you end up with. Try one turn clockwise with your first arrangement. You have made such a gorgeous start.
    Cleodaisy

OK, so after last weekend's debacle, I re-hung my design wall (four nails plus clips should now keep the darn thing up!) and started over completely fresh with the layout.

I think I'm pretty happy with this one. I decided to break up the blues and I think it gives it more interest. And I've also decided that I'm just going to have to accept that there won't be a whole lot of smooth transitioning between areas, simply because there aren't enough blocks that include both the amber/golden color and the blue.

I'm "missing" one blue block up at the top right, but I found a dark blue batik with little lighter blue specks that I am going to use for the border that matches some of the fabric REALLY well. I am just going to make one more hexagon out of that fabric and blend it in. I don't think anybody will notice! Then I'll use black hexagons and triangles to even out the edges, then I'll have 4 narrow-ish borders to bring it out to the size I want; black, blue w/specks batik, narrower gold/amber batik, then black again. I'm aiming for 72x72.

Here's where it's at now; I'm going to let it sit and see how I like it tomorrow morning. If I still like it tomorrow, this is the final and I'll start sewing it all together!

Thanks everybody, for all your input on this one.

Name:  oneblock_2.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  175.5 KB

QM
    What an ordeal! Imagine having to enter an LQS.

Your new version looks much more interesting. Hurray for you.

That looks like fun. Nice job!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast