Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My new quilting space and sweatshirt quilt

My new quilting space and sweatshirt quilt

We recently moved to a little "cabin" in the woods. It's too small to sew inside, but that's ok because I have this amazing space outside I am very thankful! Hubby cleaned out his clothes to fit into our small bedroom (no closet, no drawers, just knobs on the wall to hold clothes) and he got rid of a bunch of sweatshirts. I decided to turn them into a quilt that he can use while on dialysis, or I can use while sewing outside on cooler days, or for snuggling by a campfire, or whatever. I'm thrilled with how it turned out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    ​Well done!

What a lovely place to sew, but I'm afraid I wouldn't get much done because I would looking at the beautiful greenery more than the seam line. Your sweat shirt quilt is a great idea, and looks very comfy.
    I aspire to inspire before I expire. LT

What a super sewing room!!!
    I love sweatshirts....my main fall n winter tops. A quilt would be so comfortable.

I am to chicken when it comes to bugs! I would be screaming like a little something. I'm sure happy for you though.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

That sounds heavenly!!
    Ruth

I absolutely Love your sewing space outside with Mother nature! Your sweatshirt quilt turned out great.

Love the machine. I, too, sew and piece on Singer 301A. I have had it for over 50 years. It truly is a workhorse of a machine. Also, Love the work space!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-28-2018 at 01:10 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    I heartily agree with your choice of sewing machine! Lovely quilting spot and the sweatshirt quilt looks comfy. Best of luck with hubby's procedures.
    Mavis

Blog Entries
    Nice space and quilt! Enjoy!

I love your sewing space, but it wouldn't work for me; bugs would carry me off.

Thank you everyone Bugs rarely venture near my work area. We have enough toads and snakes to keep the pesky bug population under control. No mosquitoes at all! No flies. Some times there are butterflies, dragonflies, and hummingbirds that venture close, but they are pleasant company Thankfully the bears haven't come by while I'm working out there, but I do see them come up to the window sometimes when I'm inside.

Very nice!

Wow, very cool. Fresh air..fresh creative thinking.

OH, goodness, bears at the window? We saw one below our deck in the vacation cabin and that was too close for me. While he was showing no signs of aggression, I was petrified of venturing out till he was gone. As for snakes, no thanks! I'd take bugs. But you are a hardy soul and obviously intrepid. Your sewing room al fresco must be ideal for you. Your hubby and you have certainly been suffering together for a very long time with his kidney disease. Prayers and hugs. I still have the handmade thank you card you sent years ago!!

What a delightful slice of heaven you have in your tiny cabin in the woods. Is this a full time residence? If so you will need to build an addition so you can sew in the cold weather! And boy I give you a lot of credit making a sweatshirt quilt! I made a memory quilt once that had sweatshirt in it and even stabilized I was not a happy camper (no pun intended) working with it.

Thanks everyone Zozee - sent you a pm

Feline fanatic - it's a full time residence. We completely gutted and rebuilt it over the last year+ (we did all the work ourselves with help from an older friend). Hubby is on dialysis and has several other serious medical conditions so we gave up our house over 2 hours away to move to a small town and live a simpler life so we can have time as a family. There is no money for an addition, so I will just work on cross stitching and knitting when it's too cold to quilt outside I didn't mind working with the sweatshirts, but I also went into it knowing it would be a simple, not perfect quilt, so that made it easier to accept the wonkiness hehe
    In a world where you can be anything, always be kind!
    Help protect your children, be honest about all medical problems and family medical history!

You have a beautiful view. It looks like a fun place to sit and stitch awhile.

Kelly, so sorry to read about your DH health issues. Dialysis is bad enough. But you certainly have the right priorities in place; living simply and spending time as family in that gorgeous setting. I much prefer rural too but civilization is only about 10 miles from our place. Would you be willing to show us some pictures of the little cabin, it sounds dreamy. You can also take up hand piecing or EPP too! But don't use sweatshirts for that

Blog Entries
    Lovely Sewing Space !

Go you!! Good job!!!
    Family is a priority, not a convenience!
    Take time to be friendly... It's the road to happiness.
    Take time to give... It is too short a day to be selfish.

I created a post in the personal diaries page called "Rocky Run Cabin" and posted pictures there for you to see of our cabin
    In a world where you can be anything, always be kind!
    Help protect your children, be honest about all medical problems and family medical history!

Fresh air doesn't agree with me. I like to be inside year around.

Glad you enjoy being outside.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

What fun. Beautiful place to relax as you sew and a wonderful quilt too. Win win.
    SEW MUCH FUN!

KellyPA--Your sewing room is almost as beautiful as your indomitable spirit. Enjoy your cozy cabin and the company of your DH.
    "The great doing of little things makes the great life." Eugena Price

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast