Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My newest quilt done

Beautiful! Looks like and sounds like a pattern I have done called "Hidden Wells". Have made a few of these and they are fun to do. Did you do it as a Quilt as you go? :lol:

I think it is beautiful. I'm sure she will love it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't see a thing wrong with the pattern, and I think the colors are lovely. I do know that the camera flash can wash out colors, but either way, I know that both your friends and their daughter are going to love it. You put a lot of work and love into it, and it shows!

Blog Entries
    another ONE OF A KIND quilt. It is beautiful. You're doing a GREAT job. I took a wip dresden plate quilt to guild last week. While it was spread out on the floor, waiting for the borders to "speak to me" I said OMG! What??? says everybody> What I hadn't seen at home was now glaring at me. the corner square was turned 180 degrees from the others. :oops: :oops: SEveral ladies said " well, I DID see that but thot I shouldn't say anything..." Hummmm I wonder if they REALLY saw it? Plus I would have be very upset if I had finished it and THEN they said something. Good news is it's in the corner so easy to "fix" it. just get out the ripper...

That is very nice Gladgrams.

Gladgrams--I know you are disappointed at the color of your quilt in the photo--but do not fret about it---we all have that problem from time to time.

Your quilt is wonderful. I cannot believe you have only been quilting for a few months!! What an accomplishment. This is not an amateur quilt at all. And you are going to make a young lady and her parents very happy.

Now---Lancaster---quilt shops everywhere!!! You could have some major stash building fun there----AND the prices are really good. The Amish shops are wonderful!!!

Blog Entries
    Wow!!! I love the planned scrappy look, it's wonderfully done :D :D :D

Blog Entries
    I think you have done a fantastic job on this quilt!!
    My Grand Mother came to the US, from Norway, so I
    like anything that relates to your country. Keep up
    the great work!!
    :D :D :D :D

Hi,

No, I didn't do it as a "quilt as you go" because I don't know how to do that yet :( I don't even know what that is, yet... :oops:

My husband is a creative guy who is computer nerd (geek?) and also writes music. I was surprised when he became so interested in my quilting. He now enjoys "consulting" on the layout options for patterns. I have not yet dared to try to follow a pattern from a book other than to look at one and try to do my own thing. So, I guess all of my projects are originals in that way. I ordered 10 different books on the Internet and get confused reading the directions, I guess due to my lack of experience....

I am just plain having fun right now. And trying not to discourage myself with a desire for perfection - SO I TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR ENCOURAGEMENT :lol: :lol:

Big hugs

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    I think it is gorgeous! She will love it!
    I just ordered 52 yard of material on the Internet to be delivered to my daughter's house. How in the world I am going to get that home is still a mystery. No use getting good deals if it costs a mint to ship them here.

There is a little old fashioned dry goods store called Goods that is only minutes away where the Amish shop for material. At Christmas I didn't know how to quilt yet, so I had no appreciation for all the fabric they sell. THIS TIME I am going to know though...

Norwegians are handicrafters from their early years. They all learn to knit by 2nd grade, 3rd grade woodworking by 4th grade they learn to do simple embroidery. Our neighbor boy is in 9th grade and he just made a small quilt as a school project to show he could design, piece and sew! He is an incredibly intelligent borderline Aspergers child, so you can only imagine how perfect it is. Puts me to shame! The schools emphasize old crafts to keep them alive.

Why more men don't quilt is beyond me because they usually love angles, measuring, planning and using complex tools.

Great first quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan lady
    Why more men don't quilt is beyond me because they usually love angles, measuring, planning and using complex tools.
    This is why my DH likes to quilt as one of his hobbies :wink: Your quilt is great(UFF DAH to your worries as we say in MN). Welcome to the board from Southeast Alaska.[/quote]

Very nice! :D

It looks very good. I'm sure your friends child will think it's the best gift they've ever received. Great job!!

This is why my DH likes to quilt as one of his hobbies :wink: Your quilt is great(UFF DAH to your worries as we say in MN). Welcome to the board from Southeast Alaska.
    [/quote]

Congratulations to your hubby. We really do say Uff Da here LOL. It is a kind of way of saying "Fine then" da is "then" Uff is an exclamation. The other ending to a lot of sentences is "Sant ja?" - true, right? as in don't you agree...

Blog Entries
    Oh, your quilt picture was well worth waiting for! Don't worry about the colors..quilts are actually hard to photograph..sometimes they come out great..sometimes not. Depends on the lighting and your camera.

I love your setting and I don't see anything wrong with your pattern at all..all I see is a beautiful quilt that will be well loved! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Quote Originally Posted by GladGrams
    After playing with it for several days we decided to make this pattern and separate the parts with sashing.
    I think the sashing on it helps make it really pop (not quite the word I was searching for, but the brain isn't quite working so well yet this morning). You did a very ncie job and it's now on my to-do list as well!

:thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Those Amish ladies you spoke of would be a "treasure trove" of knowledge on quilting... Find one at the GOODS store and start asking questions. They may have a group you might be invited to join. How cool wouldTHAT be?

Being invited to an Amish quilting session would be the next thing to a miracle! But then, there are plenty of Mennonites there (they are Amish lite) and from them I just might be able to wriggle a visit to one. Let you know what happens.

Off to Denmark for a week on Saturday. We catch the hover boat at 8 AM and arrive at 11AM then have a 3 hour drive cross country to the west coast to the summer house we have all rented.

This is our 4th year doing an annual week or 2 on the Atlantic coast in Dk. Going to stock up on lots of good things, food is so much cheaper as are many things...

Tulla's mom tells me she is smiling and excited to see her surprise. Tulla is now 18 yrs old. She was not expected to live past 2 hours then 2 weeks. Every pediatric heart surgeon in the world almost knows her because she is a miracle. Sadly at age 4 she had a lack of O2 during surgery and came out severely handicapped. She cannot speak or use her hands and feet. Communicates with her eyes and smiles, frowns or her tongue out. She is a delightful person and a joy to be with. A very strong willed young lady too.

Tulla's mom was found to have the cancer gene 2 yrs ago and had a double mastectomy and implants done. Dad was badly injured in a car accident last year and is unable to life Tulla now. They have a new handicapped house from the Danish health care in their community.

They NEVER complain or whine and we have wonderful times laughing and playing games and watching movies together. Each time we are with them, we thank God for what we have been blessed with.

Look at your children and grandchildren and smile...

Blog Entries
    Mennonites would also be good. Keep us posted and pass on any good info you can S-Q-E-E-Z-E out of them...

GladGrams, that is a lovely quilt. She will love it.

And as to your problem about getting the fabric home. Take a very big suitcase and when you leave the states, leave all your clothes and put fabric in. Or buy more suitcases while here and fill 'em up! Maybe you are limited on luggage though. Good luck!

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Looks pretty darn good to me. Love the colors!!!

Problems :?: What problems??

Looks great. Sure she'll love it.
    My colors don't come out right either. Either too dark, or washed out... :?

What a great pattern. Terrific work. It will be loved and treasured.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast