Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help slecting a pattern and coordinating fabric for a cactus quilt

Need help slecting a pattern and coordinating fabric for a cactus quilt

I love cacti and succulents and xeric landscaping so I totally fell in love with this fun print from Hoffman called Desert Dawn Cactus in the green "Caterpillar" colorway:

Name:  Large_0488442.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  229.3 KB

I want to make a quilt for my full sized bed that makes this fabric the star of the show. I've looked at medallion and panel quilts on pintrest but haven't found the right pattern to showcase this great fabric... Right now I'm most drawn to large squares with narrow sashing. Thoughts?

For the thin sashing, if that is what I end up going with, I'm hemming and hawing...

my first instinct was to go with dark purple solid such as Kona Cotton in Dark Violet:

Name:  Medium_EF-345.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  4.2 KB

Or a pink in bright dragonfruit shade with texture like Cotton + Steel Add It Up in Lip Gloss Or Alexander Henry Once Upon a Time Heath in Hot Pink Or something a little softer like Indah Batiks Dotty Diamonds in Bubblegum
    Name:  Medium_0476884.jpg
Views: 2167
Size:  13.7 KBName:  Medium_0415312.jpg
Views: 2161
Size:  13.9 KBName:  Medium_0437045.jpg
Views: 2168
Size:  10.0 KB

Then I began to consider restful blues like Cotton+Steel Add It Up in Shibori, or Cotton+Steel Rice in Blue, or Art Gallery Twinklestar Dreamer in Blu
    Name:  Medium_0476890.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  12.3 KB Name:  Medium_0478582.jpg
Views: 2165
Size:  17.7 KB Name:  Medium_0478558.jpg
Views: 2166
Size:  10.6 KB

The colorful Kaffe Fasset Strata line also appealed to me, particularly the Stone and Summer colorways
    Name:  Medium_0444371.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  18.4 KB Name:  Medium_0427225.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  18.3 KB

I can only attach 10 files so I'll stop here for the moment

Any ideas or advice? I've never made a quilt before so I want to keep things a bit simple. However, I'm not new to sewing so maybe I can push myself just a little more than an absolute beginner?

Any and all observations are appreciated-- I'd love to read whatever you post

Blog Entries
    My first thought is a quilt called 'BQ' (stands for big quilt) My gd (age 9) is now making it and loves the geometric squares - and it goes together fast. The picture on the front of the pattern is pretty ugly - all your fabrics would make this stunning. This pattern was demonstrated at our quilt guild - I've seen it with many color combinations.

What a beautiful fabric! I favor the pinks as coordinates -- they remind me of cactus flowers.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
    My first thought is a quilt called 'BQ' (stands for big quilt) My gd (age 9) is now making it and loves the geometric squares - and it goes together fast. The picture on the front of the pattern is pretty ugly - all your fabrics would make this stunning. This pattern was demonstrated at our quilt guild - I've seen it with many color combinations.
    I think that BQ is a Maple Island Design. There are several others from them that are similar. The first quilt using BQ that I saw was done in an outdoor print that featured bears. The quilts I've seen made from the BQ pattern looked far better than the one on the pattern packet. Part of the appeal of this pattern is that it utilizes large cuts of fabric without chopping up the design.

Power Poster
    ​Warm Wishes would work as your cactus fabric for the big focus squares.

Just Can't Cut it is a good pattern for a beginner. https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...cut-it-pattern

I already knew how to sew and was able to figure out the pattern for myself. If you use 12 inch finished blocks, the focus fabric needs to be cut as 12 1/2" squares. The alternating block is 3x4" finished blocks and 6 inch squares. Your fabric cuts will be 3 1/2" x 4 1/2" and 6 1/2" squares. This pattern goes together quickly, because the only seam matching is at each corner. With all the fabrics you have chosen, you can probably find 5 that you would like with the focus fabric. Of, course, you can use more than 5, but the pattern only calls for 5.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Power Poster
    Have you considered some of the greens that are in the print for the sashing?

I think the colors you have shown would detract from the cactus print - which I like very much.

A green might be "boring" - but then your cactus print would stand out more.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

I think the colors you have shown would detract from the cactus print - which I like very much.

I was thinking the same thing--of the fabrics you showed, the stripes with more yellow would be my pick. But if you go for a brighter color, think about cactus flowers--how the very bright ones make the cactus almost disappear when you are looking at it. So maybe if you do use more color, some softer ones?

LOVE the fabric BTW

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

I agree with this.

Blog Entries
    i'd go with the hot pinks. love the cactus fabric
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I liked the one darker muted blue green in the last row. I think it is a good contrast without overpowering the cactus print. It would be restful which is what you want in the bedroom. What are the color of the walls and other accessories in the room?

Keep the comments coming friends!

Right now I'm still stuck on using large squares (of the cactus fabric) and narrow sashing as a pattern, mostly because I'm having a hard time "seeing" the cactus fabric being paired with more than 1 other fabric.

The BQ quilt is exciting and fun looking-- impressed that your 9 year old granddaughter is making it, CindyB-- but the retro 50s vibe I get from it wouldn't work in my bedroom.

Again, because I'm having a hard time managing more than 1 coordinate, the Warm Wishes quilt is not for this project but I LOOOOOOOOOVE the pattern. Not sure why it appeals to me so much but I really want to make a fall quilt using that pattern and Civil War reprints. Thanks Tartan for giving me my next project!

Barb, I'll keep that pattern in mind-- thank you!

Glad some of you are feeling my fabric choices-- I was a little worried everyone would say NOPE to my picks And I was totally thinking of cactus flowers when I picked out the pinks; so cool that others have the same picture!

I'm surprised to see that green is being recommended as the second color, tho. I have to be honest here, I'm worried that would be too bland. If keep the sashing narrow, which I intend too, I feel like a contrasting color wouldn't overwhelm the design. Or maybe it would. I'm off to audition some greens with the cactus fabric right now.

Marryellen, I just missed your post!

I like the dark teal-ish color too-- the darkness of it anchors the lighter cactus print and as you said, it doesn't overpower. Agree that it is restful. The walls of my bedroom are a soft light blue and the wood all is dark brown. I always pick a warm colored bedspread to counteract the coolness from the blue walls, so using a blue with the green would be going outside my "comfort zone" LOL but I think it could look really pretty

Love your fabric. I would choose a pink sashing or perhaps one of the greens in the cacti print. Here is a simple pattern that will focus on your lovely fabric.
    Name:  spiderman quilt.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  61.3 KB
    Snowball block

Name:  Christopher's Deer Quilt 3.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  107.9 KB
    This is Snowball - Nine Patch.

I have always admired Pixie Quilt Cactus Wreath quilt. It is not a good pattern for your fabric if you want to keep the cactus fabric as a focus print but it may give you some ideas for a coordinate color.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBfJ3cLTuqk
    I favor the Stone and Summer fabrics from the ones you've shown.
    Always be kind.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I would go with colors that are in the fabric. BQ with sashing. To me it's a busy print. Any other print would just make it busier.

Love your fabric, I am going to go outside the box and say that I absolutely love the violet color with one of the pinks. Just reminded me of Christmas cactus. BTW there is a BQ2, I made mine using a focus fabric and a couple of others. You may want to check that pattern out.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Solid purple/ violet. Your print is beautiful and bright, the dark violet will contrast the light green and white print. It will help "feature" the green print......all,others are too busy and will pull the eye towards them instead of the green print. Please post your quilt. What a wonderful project.

Love the snowball nine patch twinkie. Great pattern for a focus fabric.

Fabric can make a quilt modern or traditional or any other vibe. I like the idea of the BQ quilt (not as difficult as it appears) with a very pale green background and pink or several pinks for the accent color.
    where is Chicago do you live? I grew up in the Lincoln Park Area. bc
    Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small parts. Henry Ford

Chem, I love your cacti fabric, I am originally from the SW. I found a pattern that I think would be perfect for your fabric. I found it in designer quilt section of a site that I went to by putting in : bq2 quilt pattern, about half way down the page there is a center panel quilt with pink flowers focus fabric and pink sashing. You cannot miss it. I have saved it to my documents and will see if I can post it here. I would choose the soft pink with the green. I think the really dark fabric would overwhelm the cactus print. Name:  Center panel quilt in pink.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  18.8 KB This pattern is simple enough to draw it yourself. I would choose one accent for either a very narrow sashing and binding in addition. I am an artist and the first thing you learn is that the values, (contrasts) are the important thing in any design.

I made this quilt for my niece. It is 2.5" nine squares and a snowballed 6.5" square snowballed with 2.5" corners. Use the cactus print in place of the white and mix the rest up.
    Name:  19756727_10211852289236146_4129388178746882930_n.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  76.5 KB
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

I love that cactus fabric and really like pink and green together, but I REALLY like that dark Kona purple - it's very earthy-looking onscreen.
    I have absolutely NO suggestions for pattern since I am challenged by points and matching.
    Please do post what you decide to do, before, during and after. !!

I like that fabric!! I like all the ideas here and it's gonna be a great quilt. I'm thinking 12" blocks with a 1" dark violet sashing. Maybe consider pink cornerstones or green or whatever. For beginners, the cornerstones (is that the right term?) can help keep the quilt lined up and straight.
    Emily

My head is SPINNING!

You all are giving me so much insightful, thoughtful advice that it's going to take me sometime to digest it all and weigh my options. I've got so much to consider after reading your posts... I'm trying to expand my vision and "see" the points and suggestions. So much knowledge and expertise here! Thank you every one for replying to me and helping with my project

Will update as soon as I can figure out what direction I should head in

Elli-- I'm in Evanston (dangerous proximity to Vogue Fabrics!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast