Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: No sew scarf in 5 mins

  1. #1
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    I bought 1/2 yard of fleece and decided to make a few scarfs. I made 4 scarfs - total cost $5.60 (price was higher due to the pattern) - I tried to sew the edges, but I did not like the looks if it. (satin stitch) - I will stick with the No sew when doing the fleece scarfs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member luckylindy333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Snohomish, Washington
    Posts
    2,046
    Very cute! You can even cut some fringe if you want.

  3. #3
    Super Member brenda21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,126
    cute :)

  4. #4
    Super Member skydiver70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,479
    Since fleece doesn't ravel, you can cut a fringe on the ends. Just make cuts across the ends, trying to make each cut the same length.

  5. #5
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,667
    Blog Entries
    194
    I made some for Christmas a few years ago and put fringe on the ends

  6. #6
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    Great Idea...I will make one with fringe and one without. I was able to make 4 of them with 1/2 yard.

  7. #7
    Super Member wolph33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wi
    Posts
    9,994
    nice and simple-looks great

  8. #8
    community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    891
    I made one for my niece for Christmas last year. Used a print fleece and a solid - turned inside out to hide seam, sewed from side to side and made fringe :)

    Great Christmas gifts. I tried making gloves but couldn't get them to turn out right :(

  9. #9
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Nice. :thumbup: I've done a blanket stitch by hand on some of mine.

  10. #10
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    Now that is also a good idea...they have a cutter that makes the holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Nice. :thumbup: I've done a blanket stitch by hand on some of mine.

  11. #11
    np3
    np3 is offline
    Power Poster np3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    14,032
    Blog Entries
    7
    Nice!

  12. #12
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    Now that is also a good idea...they have a cutter that makes the holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Nice. :thumbup: I've done a blanket stitch by hand on some of mine.
    Ooh, can you tell me more about this cutter, please???

  13. #13
    Super Member GrannieAnnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. W. Indiana
    Posts
    7,524
    Quote Originally Posted by luckylindy333
    Very cute! You can even cut some fringe if you want.
    Last year I made some fleece hats the added a scarf to a couple of the hats. I cut a 9 inch width,then cut about 4 inch fringe on either end. Looks cute, with almost no work

  14. #14
    Super Member mom-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,487
    I've made a poncho type short cape out of fleece by cutting a shawl-width piece long enough to go around and then stitching the inner edge for about 12"...quick, easy, cozy and leaves your hands free to do whatever you need to be doing instead of holding the shawl in place.

  15. #15
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver70
    Since fleece doesn't ravel, you can cut a fringe on the ends. Just make cuts across the ends, trying to make each cut the same length.
    If you have the ruler with the 1/2" cuts in it it makes it easy to do with a rotary cutter. HOWEVER, only cut one end at a time---trying to cut through two layers is almost impossible and very frustrating. You can also pull on the fringes--stretch them out as far as they'll go and they'll curl up making a more frilly/girly look to the scarves.

  16. #16
    Super Member plainpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,808
    Blog Entries
    11
    Nice scarves.....after I found fleece, gave up crocheting them :-)

  17. #17
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    good idea...I am going to go to Joanne's today to get one of those rulers.
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver70
    Since fleece doesn't ravel, you can cut a fringe on the ends. Just make cuts across the ends, trying to make each cut the same length.
    If you have the ruler with the 1/2" cuts in it it makes it easy to do with a rotary cutter. HOWEVER, only cut one end at a time---trying to cut through two layers is almost impossible and very frustrating. You can also pull on the fringes--stretch them out as far as they'll go and they'll curl up making a more frilly/girly look to the scarves.

  18. #18
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    Here is a link I found to make the fringe - quick and easy...buying the template and an extra mat today.

  19. #19
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    I bought this ruler at Joanne's for 11.99 today on sale...worked great! no problems took two mins. It s the Shape Cut Slotted Ruler. The is how I made the fringe .
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver70
    Since fleece doesn't ravel, you can cut a fringe on the ends. Just make cuts across the ends, trying to make each cut the same length.
    If you have the ruler with the 1/2" cuts in it it makes it easy to do with a rotary cutter. HOWEVER, only cut one end at a time---trying to cut through two layers is almost impossible and very frustrating. You can also pull on the fringes--stretch them out as far as they'll go and they'll curl up making a more frilly/girly look to the scarves.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks for the tip on putting on fringe, so much easier than sewing it....and looks better. And of course while I was there found more fleeze on clearance. 1/2 yard for $1.50 with a really neat pattern. Will be making christmas presents...
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I bought 1/2 yard of fleece and decided to make a few scarfs. I made 4 scarfs - total cost $5.60 (price was higher due to the pattern) - I tried to sew the edges, but I did not like the looks if it. (satin stitch) - I will stick with the No sew when doing the fleece scarfs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    That is so cute. Great job. What a pretty and fun project.

  22. #22
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSLBVCCuv6s watch this video...it shows you the cutter to make the holes to blanket sew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    Now that is also a good idea...they have a cutter that makes the holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Nice. :thumbup: I've done a blanket stitch by hand on some of mine.
    Ooh, can you tell me more about this cutter, please???

  23. #23
    Super Member Quiltgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Quiltsville
    Posts
    1,860
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSLBVCCuv6s watch this video...it shows you the cutter to make the holes to blanket sew.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    Now that is also a good idea...they have a cutter that makes the holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Nice. :thumbup: I've done a blanket stitch by hand on some of mine.
    Ooh, can you tell me more about this cutter, please???
    Thank you! That is the slickest specialty rotary blade I've seen lately!! :thumbup: Talk about making this job SO much easier!! :thumbup: Here's a link if anyone's interested, complete with a video, too:

    http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...rfect+blade.do

  24. #24
    Super Member carolaug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Behind my sewing machine
    Posts
    7,207
    Blog Entries
    4
    I looked at Joanne's this morning for that blade, sadly they did not have it. The trick on making the fringe is so easy...the small mat cost 3.99 since all mats were on sale for 40 percent off and that other cutting template is AWESOME...You really can make a scarf in 5 mins. I would never even try using scissors. All cuts come out completely even. It also cuts 4 layers with no issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  25. #25
    Super Member skydiver70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,479
    Oh, I see two have already received their gift. Cute and thanks for sharing the picture of the cutting ruler (or whatever you call it). I have one and never thought of using it to cut the fringe. Oh, well, they say you never get to old to learn. LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.